IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

44 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Sadly, I believe you hit the nail on the head and it will be that strange or worse. :(

We're not going to let the threads metastasize like crazy, either here or in the Amico subforum when it ultimately gets one.  I would agree that most of the individual VCS game threads are probably unnecessary, but speaking only for myself, I don't see how they're doing any harm now that the VCS has its own subforum.  Anyone who doesn't want to see them can simply ignore the subforum, after all, or only visit specific threads within it.  If a given thread isn't useful, it will eventually be locked or allowed to sink out of sight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It strikes me that it might make more sense to merge some of the individual game threads into genres: all the platform games into a thread called Platformers, racing into a racing thread, etc.  

Although I'm guessing that that would be a lot of work...

20 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The individual thread per game thing is more Resetera or Reddit style than what we usually see on AA. Doesnt seem that odd to me for 2020 forum culture. 

It's just weird to see threads on these games when the actual *interest* in said games seems to be lukewarm at best.  On a Forem like this, if someone wants to make a thread on a Game, it gets made.  If not, it doesn't.  

Making threads for every game by default and hoping if you build it, they will come is... not the best use of your time. IMO.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

To be fair, I think JustClaws just wanted to show doubters there actually are games on the VCS (even though there are not a lot of exclusives and that's the real problem), and he didn't expect there would be that many... ? Of course one wouldn't create a topic for every game released on the Switch, for instance.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TACODON said:

Mine shows delivered to its new home. Hopefully it doesn't get stuck in the mandatory download loop upon 1st use.

Do you think they will actually ship mine? I’m still waiting on confirmation ... the amount of lies that come out of the ATARI mods is amazing ... unprecedented demand for shipping is what is delaying their packing and labeling... what rubbish.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

To be fair, I think JustClaws just wanted to show doubters there actually are games on the VCS (even though there are not a lot of exclusives and that's the real problem), and he didn't expect there would be that many... ? Of course one wouldn't create a topic for every game released on the Switch, for instance.

Fixed ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Of course there are games for the VCS.  In reality the VCS has the ability to run thousands of games any low end (and cheaper) PC can run if someone wants to add an external drive and a Windows license to it and boot to the sandbox.  We really do not need a thread for every low end PC game out there. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Of course one wouldn't create a topic for every game released on the Switch, for instance.

Dammit, I was working on a script that posts a single thread for every PS2 game, including imports. :mad:

4 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Does anyone have even rough numbers on how many VCS units were made?

Not enough for any developer with a brain (~11K units or so).  Mining is more than laughable as well.  PS5 shipped 3.4 million units in one month, for reference, and it is more expensive.  Money doesn't matter to me so much, as long as I get something enjoyable.  I'd pay $50 for a killer movie, but $50 for Blair Witch Project is borderline insane.

If you get enough joy out of the money spent for Vanilla Cream Sauce, that's great.

Sarcasm aside, if anyone wants to post category links for games, I'll merge them.

E.G.

Shooter:

Link1

Link2

Underpant Gnomes:

Link1

Link2

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yeah, that's what I'd heard.  Just wondering if you take the total amount made, subtract the Indiegogo fulfillments... whatever is left is available to sell via Walmart and GameStop.  Then these things are gone.  And is l'Atari going to make more?  They're blowing smoke about announcing games, but what good are future titles if only the same 11,000 people can play them?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Yeah, that's what I'd heard.  Just wondering if you take the total amount made, subtract the Indiegogo fulfillments... whatever is left is available to sell via Walmart and GameStop.  Then these things are gone.  And is l'Atari going to make more?  They're blowing smoke about announcing games, but what good are future titles if only the same 11,000 people can play them?

I have the impression they only made enough for IGG Backers ... not even preorders

it will not surprise me if they come up short on the IGG orders either

Edited by Chopsus
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

I have the impression they only made enough for IGG Backers ... not even preorders

it will not surprise me if they come up short on the IGG orders either

That's why I'm looking for numbers, because I agree... the chances of IGG backers getting shafted are pretty high, and it would be typical l'Atari to publicly screw someone after giving themselves a big back-patting session.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

That's why I'm looking for numbers, because I agree... the chances of IGG backers getting shafted are pretty high, and it would be typical l'Atari to publicly screw someone after giving themselves a big back-patting session.

I’m kinda expecting it after the hard time I’ve given them ... they are yet to actually meet any of their self determined goals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saldo said:

Of course there are games for the VCS.  In reality the VCS has the ability to run thousands of games any low end (and cheaper) PC can run if someone wants to add an external drive and a Windows license to it and boot to the sandbox.  We really do not need a thread for every low end PC game out there. 

I know, I was the first to point it out actually (see below). ;) I'm just explaining the reasoning behind it but it doesn't mean I agree.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 9:29 PM, Mockduck said:

The individual thread per game thing is more Resetera or Reddit style than what we usually see on AA. Doesnt seem that odd to me for 2020 forum culture. 

Reddit is not a forum, and Resetera is a forum which tries to be Reddit. And what we have here is AtariAge  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was posted 20 hours ago on Facebook VCS group, from the Backers Discord channel.
It also saw in a few places people writing they had nothing, then later, saying it had arrived.
Most people surprised seemed to have found the UPS or Backerkit emails in their spam.

Screenshot_2020-12-31_13-34-46.png

• Like 1