IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

16 hours ago, Oscar Manuel Rojas Maillo said:

VCS Terms of Use and EULA

IMG_20210108_223116.jpg

Good luck with that, Fauxtari.  Can't shrink-wrap license someone into signing away their right to bring individual legal action against your company.  Sure, the complainant will almost certainly have to get lawyers involved while Chesnais et cie. hide behind the EULA, but that's par for the course.

I really hate how tech companies are pulling this 'binding arbitration' shit these days.  They know it's ultimately not enforceable, but will hide behind it until someone bringing a case spends enough time and money to have a judge force the corporate lawyers to get off their asses and into court.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Chopsus said:

Are you still on the naughty list over there?

I’ve decided life is far better without FArtari.

Nope. Haven't received "love" from the minions yet. Now Antstream offers Atari VCS users two options(https://www.antstream.com/atari), one free and ad based, and another with a reduced price yearly subscription. One of the mods said that this was Antstream "moving the fence" on them, and this fellow got irate because "How can they do this to the great Atari the greatest brand in history who's making a comeback!!!". And as he fell empowered because he is the almighty "Atari Token Telegram" admin, he went bananas an ranting there and on twitter to Antstream

Edited by Oscar Manuel Rojas Maillo
typo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Oscar Manuel Rojas Maillo said:

Nope. Haven't received "love" from the minions yet. Now Antstream offers Atari VCS users two options(https://www.antstream.com/atari), one free and ad based, and another with a reduced price yearly subscription. One of the mods said that this was Antstream "moving the fence" on them, and this fellow got irate because "How can they do this to the great Atari the greatest brand in history who's making a comeback!!!". And as he fell empowered because he is the almighty "Atari Token Telegram" admin, he went bananas an ranting there and on twitter to Antstream

LOL ...  Moz or the Wormy brothers in disguise by the sound of it?

On 1/9/2021 at 1:50 AM, SegaSnatcher said:

I gotta say props to Atari for actually shipping something.  Will be curious how well this performs as an emulator machine.  

This is probably how I see this "hybrid/ataristeam machine". I have some feelings about this:

- As a computer/tech enthusiast, this thing seems a bit underwhelming. Hardware looks like 2017-2018 more or less and the price tag is somewhat high for what can give.

- As "brand collector/enthusiast" is a pretty and collectable thing. Aesthetically is beautiful ("wooden grain" or nothing for me). Also, if you like to mod things, or the old-school computer world (like the "Spectrum vs Amstrad" era), this is quite similar: home microcomputers for enthusiast easy enough to use and mod.

In a certain way and saving some distances, it reminds me a bit of the ZX Spectrum Next: a device for playing, programming for hobby, modding, expanding etc...just like in the old days, but with modern hardware and a similar idiosyncrasy/ideas behind it. Not something for everybody, but for a "cult following". I can understand it existence, but unfortunately, it took too much to get finally released. Maybe if they had done it without delays, hardware would have been better, or at least something more coherent to their conception time. If VCS was conceived and made on 2019/2020 would have got better specs. I think that being conceived in 2017 and the delays made this hardware not exactly obsolete, but behind other offerings.

As SegaSnatcher said, as an emulation machine can be quite nice, specially if Dolphin runs ok, albeit even my 2011 Elitebook i7 emulates GC fairly well at 60fps most games.

AFAIK, emulating PS2 is quite hard yet, even harder than Saturn (correct me if I'm wrong, but Emotion Engine seems to be problematic to emulate yet because it's a Superscalar RISC core, and needs 2 cycles instead of 1, needing a quite powerful machine). If anyone can test PS2 emulation in the VCS would be nice.

A pity that they don't sell the external case, I would use it for my deeds :)

49 minutes ago, KD-0082 said:

As SegaSnatcher said, as an emulation machine can be quite nice, specially if Dolphin runs ok, albeit even my 2011 Elitebook i7 emulates GC fairly well at 60fps most games.

AFAIK, emulating PS2 is quite hard yet, even harder than Saturn (correct me if I'm wrong, but Emotion Engine seems to be problematic to emulate yet because it's a Superscalar RISC core, and needs 2 cycles instead of 1, needing a quite powerful machine). If anyone can test PS2 emulation in the VCS would be nice.

There is already a YouTube video demonstrating PS2 emulation on the VCS.
Rather than link the video and have a whole repeat discussion here, I give a link to the 2nd thread about emulation.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, justclaws said:

There is already a YouTube video demonstrating PS2 emulation on the VCS.
Rather than link the video and have a whole repeat discussion here, I give a link to the 2nd thread about emulation.

Seen just right now. It's really impressive and leaves me a better taste of what can do and what is/can become in the near future.

Make it more expandable/upgradeable and we have a sure winner. Albeit "as is" looks pretty good, seeing this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, it's not impressive. Its just what you'd expect from any modern PC in its price range.

For what it's worth, the VCS falls well below the minimum spec for PCSX2 in that its GPU passmark score is only around the 900 mark when 3000 is suggested. It's even further below the recommended spec of 6000 and cannot be upgraded to meet even the minimum. It could also use more RAM, dedicated video RAM, and a slightly faster CPU but those things won't affect performance quite so much.

That's not to say that there won't be a lot of games that can still be made to run. I've got some PS2 games running even on Atom and Celeron CPUs, and it should run a whole lot more than those. However, it'll take a lot of extra work over and above something that met the specs.

If you want a machine that will run PCSX2 well, I'd suggest that your starting point would be a desktop Ryzen 3 3100, paired with a graphics card like the GTX1650. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Special Teams said:

For those who are not subscribed to his channel, our friend John did receive his VCS:

image.thumb.png.cbf51d341509042e4707b45a80cb6820.png

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuIzeYeWPOcy_sDValN1Lfg

I've been highly entertained by his posts about his wonder machine ?  Mr. AtariVCS know-it-all.....

No description available.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

I've been highly entertained by his posts about his wonder machine ?  Mr. AtariVCS know-it-all.....

No description available.

What country is this fella from?  I don't click on strange youtube links, like unboxing videos and the like, so I wouldn't know.  But that is either the writing of a child, or a foreigner.  Hurts my head.

EDIT: I just bought some shoes, will they fit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

What country is this fella from?  I don't click on strange youtube links, like unboxing videos and the like, so I wouldn't know.  But that is either the writing of a child, or a foreigner.  Hurts my head.

CPU - it's sad.  This is a man child.  40 years old perhaps, but the "intelligence" of a 5 year old kid.  I can't make fun of him and sleep at night.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

I can't make fun of him and sleep at night.

I wasn't making fun of him, I just had to re-read that multiple times, to get close to even remotely understanding it. 

But then again, WTF do I know?  I am just a lousy foreigner.  According to some people I've come across, I am not even considered 'white' (not that I give a shit, I wish I was born green or blue), because I am not from the U.S., which is pretty funny, considering I am German.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I wasn't making fun of him, I just had to re-read that multiple times, to get close to even remotely understanding it. 

But then again, WTF do I know?  I am just a lousy foreigner.  According to some people I've come across, I am not even considered 'white' (not that I give a shit, I wish I was born green or blue), because I am not from the U.S., which is pretty funny, considering I am German.

Actually what Stephen's summary seems on point, my impression as well, something not quite...right....explaining his particular...uhm "over enthusiasm" over Atari. 

If his Profile is to be believed (I saved you the trouble) - I'll leave it at that. It's all public so there is no infringing on privacy imho. 

Edited by CPUWIZ
Removed images, as per request.

Well, that's not Irish either.  Ah well, at least he enjoys what he bought and is having to buy to make it work like a PC.  Is this the same guy who went on and on about some 2600 game he really wanted to play?  Personally, I find it amazing and refreshing, that someone doesn't have a computer.  I have over a dozen in my house, not counting anything retro or with a touch screen.

43 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Well, that's not Irish either.

Sadly, it is.  Welcome to what the National Schools (public education in the US) provide in the way of an education.  In his case, the 'CBS' in his school's name stands for 'Christian Brothers School', who ran *many* of the National Schools.

There are multiple (and very good) reasons why anyone in Ireland who can sends their kids to private schools.

43 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Ah well, at least he enjoys what he bought and is having to buy to make it work like a PC.  Is this the same guy who went on and on about some 2600 game he really wanted to play?

IIRC, he was really desperate to play 2600 Missile Command on the AtaribawxTM.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

IIRC, he was really desperate to play 2600 Missile Command on the AtaribawxTM.

That's it, one of the few games that really needs a trackball, now I remember.  IIRC, Atari released a pretty cool iPhone version, I wonder how that plays, sure looked good.

2 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

That's it, one of the few games that really needs a trackball, now I remember.  IIRC, Atari released a pretty cool iPhone version, I wonder how that plays, sure looked good.

I could actually see that being a hoot to play with accelerometers or gyroscopic sensors controlling the crosshair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

CPU - it's sad.  This is a man child.  40 years old perhaps, but the "intelligence" of a 5 year old kid.  I can't make fun of him and sleep at night.

Completely, also he says: "I've never had a PC before."

Um. Wut? How can anyone born after say 1950 have never owned a PC? Ludicrous. Surely he's USED one. I mean that statement alone should lead one to presume his account was either hacked or he is doing some kind of prank.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Actually what Stephen's summary seems on point, my impression as well, something not quite...right....explaining his particular...uhm "over enthusiasm" over Atari. 

If his Profile is to be believed (I saved you the trouble) - I'll leave it at that. It's all public so there is no infringing on privacy imho. 

You are infringing his rights; should have posted a link.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, mr_me said:

You are infringing his rights; should have posted a link.

Maybe, maybe not re: infringement.  It's country-by-country.

Ultimately, though, most jurisdictions have agreed that if you permit something to be openly published on the Internet, then you have no reasonable expectation of it staying where you put it.  Whether or not infringement takes place is a question for after it moves from its original location, but in general anywhere that's had Internet connectivity for longer than 20 minutes will usually agree that once the paper aeroplane has made it through the window, it's out of the control of the person who made it.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Atarick said:

Completely, also he says: "I've never had a PC before."

Um. Wut? How can anyone born after say 1950 have never owned a PC? Ludicrous. Surely he's USED one. I mean that statement alone should lead one to presume his account was either hacked or he is doing some kind of prank.

Used, yes.  Owns, very likely not.  Phones have been the way that a good chunk of the population gets online for the past decade in other parts of the world, Europe included.  PC ownership before then wasn't a consideration for folks in that category; game console ownership usually was.

• Like 1