IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

4 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, to be fair they did get something built and shipped to the backers.  And they are even providing support and updates for the thing. 

I.e. it's 18 months late and they've still not finished it, even after the units have shipped.

At the rate they're going, it'll be properly retro by the time it's ready for retail.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

I.e. it's 18 months late and they've still not finished it, even after the units have shipped.

At the rate they're going, it'll be properly retro by the time it's ready for retail.

Apparently these latest updates have fixed pretty much everything that is OS level, like wifi and bluetooth is better, multiuser is added, sleep and being able to bring it back up has been fixed.  So they definitely are fixing things up.  As far as I am aware now the big thing is getting the store to suck less.  Like add a cart so you can purchase multiple games at once, and the reciepts so they aren't broken.  But that is all software / web design.

As much as people like to trash it, it does look like they are not just doing a pump and dump.  Will they ever create and sell something that people are strangely bitter over will actually buy?  Probably not.

Will they be able to sell to the people that just have to have all the game systems?  Sure, they probably backed it anyhow.

Will they sell to random people at Walmart?  That really is the key question.  If they don't pull an old Atari and actually market the thing, they just might.  Honestly, with how it is packaged, and how it looks, if it gets much shelf space at all, it will probably sell.

I remember once seeing the Ouya at Best Buy and wondered how well it sold next to the other game systems.  I looked at the controller and thought it was kind of cheap feeling, so that was the only time I really saw it.

8 minutes ago, leech said:

Will they sell to random people at Walmart?  That really is the key question.  If they don't pull an old Atari and actually market the thing, they just might.  Honestly, with how it is packaged, and how it looks, if it gets much shelf space at all, it will probably sell.

The key answer, then, is "no".  Wal-Mart has struggles selling $300 computers that actually do something useful out of the box.  There's no way the Fuji sphere is competitive as a PC or as a Game Console in the world of big-Box retail.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

The key answer, then, is "no".  Wal-Mart has struggles selling $300 computers that actually do something useful out of the box.  There's no way the Fuji sphere is competitive as a PC or as a Game Console in the world of big-Box retail.

I would be surprised if Walmart didn't sell those 300 PCs.  Especially in the day and age where kids have to do schooling at home. 

Also you know there will be some that are like 'Little Timmy keeps asking for some video games... this one says it comes with 100, let's get little Timmy this one...' not knowing of course they are 40 years old...

Edited by leech

1 minute ago, leech said:

I would be surprised if Walmart didn't sell those 300 PCs.  Especially in the day and age where kids have to do schooling at home. 

Also you know there will be some that are like 'Little Timmy keeps asking for some video games... this one says it comes with 100, let's get little Timmy this one...' not knowing of course they are 40 years old...

What parent is going to get their kid a "school" computer that doesn't run a mainstream operating system out of the box?  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

What parent is going to get their kid a "school" computer that doesn't run a mainstream operating system out of the box?  

The sort who think ChromeOS is a mainstream operating system.

Seriously, I think there's a gap in the market beckoning Atari there. If they can sell the VCS for a buck less than the cheapest Windows computer, a bunch of clueless parents will rush out and buy them the week before term starts.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

Nor is it competitive (or useful) in the world of reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I purchased a $320 Walmart laptop for my church in December, and it is no where near as nice as the VCS. Not even close. 

Nobody's saying that cheap Walmart laptops are nice. It's just that you can do things that are vaguely useful with them out of the box like run office applications, fill in forms on websites, or browse Netflix without having to plug in extra peripherals. At least I'd presume that your church wanted to do things like that with it, rather than just plug it into a TV and play games on it.

Also, in terms of what the VCS can actually do out of the box at the moment, there's probably not that much that a Walmart craptop couldn't.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Nobody's saying that cheap Walmart laptops are nice. It's just that you can do things that are vaguely useful with them out of the box like run office applications, fill in forms on websites, or browse Netflix without having to plug in extra peripherals. At least I'd presume that your church wanted to do things like that with it, rather than just plug it into a TV and play games on it.

Also, in terms of what the VCS can actually do out of the box at the moment, there's probably not that much that a Walmart craptop couldn't.

Oddly, you can do those out of the box on the VCS, fill in web forms, and browse the net and watch Netflix. 

Just now, leech said:

Huh, a keyboard and mouse are a bunch of addons?

Also, when did it become the AtariCube?

This is a Cube, and it was made by Apple.

g4_cube_front1479075337046.jpg

You can't run Windows on a VCS without buying AT LEAST an external drive and a Windows license.  Most sources I've seen say you really should boost the memory if you plan to do this.  And then yes, a keyboard and mouse.

Sorry, I thought you knew that.

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

You can't run Windows on a VCS without buying AT LEAST an external drive and a Windows license.  Most sources I've seen say you really should boost the memory if you plan to do this.  And then yes, a keyboard and mouse.

Sorry, I thought you knew that.

And people said I was aggressive and pissy.  You don't actually have to buy an external drive, people have installed over AtariOS.  You don't even need a Windows license, Linux is perfectly capable of doing word processing.  Plus you didn't mention that before.  Plus you can also do it through google docs.  So yeah you can literally do all that through the Chrome browser.  You could do that through AtariOS. 

Sorry, I thought you knew that too :P

Besides Win10 should in theory be able to run with 6gb of ram.  But yeah you don't need Windows for any of that, as you have Chrome / Google Docs.