IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

Man, this is like a condensed version of the Quibi debacle... hehehe get it? condenced... 10 min shows ???

I wonder if I can use it as a pejorative... Man those people who invested in "X" got Quibi'd

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, racerx said:

"Atari" has hit a whole new low with their token shenanigans. It's fascinating to witness the depths of sleaze they're willing to plumb.

I enjoy poking fun at Atari as much as the next person over their years long Keystone Kops-esque approach to producing an 'un-console', but I just feel bad and frustrated over reading on this token scam.

I feel bad for those who got burned, and burned hard for as of a few hours ago the Atari Token is trading a .08 cents. Effectively it has lost two-thirds of its initial .25 cent value, and any backers lost two-thirds of their investment. You do not just somehow forget to put a system in place to allow your investors to transfer their tokens to your exchange, and force them to watch on the sidelines as the token price crashes and burns after the initial pump and dump.

The frustrated part comes in that it seems no small number of people are still willing to throw money to Chesnais on demand like trained seals. He says 'Atari' and they are all reaching for their wallets. I have had years of enjoyment from the gross incompetence concerning the Atari Box, but this pushes past incompetent and is now toeing the line on criminal neglegence. I am willing to bet Chesnais et al made certain that they could dump their tokens right when the price spiked for a tidy little profit.

Atari could stand for now 'Always Trying Anything to Ripoff Investors'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't consider tokens an investment any more than I consider playing the lottery a successful retirement strategy.  Invest in property or put your money in the bank perhaps?  There is no such thing as a get rich scheme.  I'm certainly not defending what Atari did - my attitude towards them should be obvious. But I wouldn't go crying if I spent a thousand dollars on Beanie babies to only have them be worth nothing (which is all they ever were) rather than being able to re-sell them for two thousand dollars later.

Maybe I am old fashioned?  I do work and I get paid for it.  So far it's been a pretty reliable source of you know, income.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Tavi said:

The frustrated part comes in that it seems no small number of people are still willing to throw money to Chesnais on demand like trained seals.

I keep hoping the AA Facebook page will someday rise above the usual wasteland of "Yars' Revenge, amirite?" posts, but I posted the link there and got just one reply, literally "Yawn."

The much-ballyhooed token release was at best incompetent, and at worst a pure pump and dump scam, and no one cares. Just keep buying that sweet, sweet merch.

Makes me wonder if ol' PowerDubs doesn't have it right after all...if suckers are desperate to be separated from their money, oblige them. 

• Like 6

Those people were counting on Atari to become the next Google or Apple overnight.

A company that consistenly misses deadlines and constantly gives excuses for failure is not one to be investing ANY amounts of money unless you have obscene amounts of it and nothing else to entertain yourself with, meaning you are bored of the Ferraris in your car-hole.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Everyone knows what lottery is - a random game with a random outcome (supposedly, at least but let's not get into "it's all rigged" theories) and super low-probability of winning. My grandma used to call it "tax on stupidity", sort of harsh, and true at the same time - but at least it's clear about how it works.

%$& like "tokens" on the other hand pretends to be a respectable and serious business deal, obfuscated by professionally sounding lingo, which makes it truly evil and a real scam.

• Like 2

What Is Atari Token [ATRI]?
Atari Token is a decentralized cryptocurrency based on the Ethereum (ETH) blockchain. It was designed by Atari Chain Ltd. — a subsidiary of the video game and consumer electronics firm Atari Interactive — specifically for the needs of the interactive entertainment industry.
Atari’s plan for its ATRI token is to become a universal means of payment for the video game industry...

Atari Tokens - Another failed launch
submitted 1 day ago by Commissioner_DMello
=========================================================================
"In the meanwhile public buyers and I presume atari itself is pumping and dumping."
"I got lucky and made a small profit by selling as soon as I got the token, but almost all presale buyers are rekt."
=========================================================================

These 2 statements... ??

• Like 1

So, latest delay now puts it at Jan. 2021. I thought that all of us "sad trolls" were going to be eating crow by now, or something.

In the mean time, I just learned about another competitor to both the VCS and Amico, although this one has bizarrely decided to follow the VCS model of being overpriced and having nothing original to it. Behold the Polycade 2600

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

So, latest delay now puts it at Jan. 2021. I thought that all of us "sad trolls" were going to be eating crow by now, or something.

In the mean time, I just learned about another competitor to both the VCS and Amico, although this one has bizarrely decided to follow the VCS model of being overpriced and having nothing original to it. Behold the Polycade 2600

That certainly does look interesting, right up until I hit the part about the units 500$ price tag.

That price point is going to be a tough sell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Oh, it's on Indiegogo.  What could go wrong?

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

^ Expect more yahoos to pop out of the woodwork, People will buy it because the Bushnell name is attached to it unfortunately. I hope Atari S.A sends him a cease and Decist for being born and having a name that has something to do with Atari and sucking up all the Nostalgia.
I said, that after the Coleco Chameleon got funded this would happen...

Polycade:
“Our core thesis is that everyone loves video games, but not everyone’s a gamer,”

WOW! , just wow. This is why cell phone games exist, for people that dont really give a ? about hardcore games, they just want to dink around, and not spend Hundreds of dollars on games, if they did they have 3 choices with a back catalog of excellent games & not some craptacular selection of spiced up Atari or Mobile games AMICO!

On a side note, can someone please explain how the Atari Token thing works, I cannot see where the 5% loss is in the breakdown. Since this is a Token it is an "outsourced" blockchain and someone has to pay for the service?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The total supply of tokens will be distributed as follows:
25% - Founder’s Strategic Basket — to be invested into platforms, token swaps, blockchain games and other ventures with the ultimate goal of growing Atari’s own network of ATRI-enabled smart platforms;
20% - Ecosystem Development Fund — to be unlocked in monthly tranches over three years starting from the token’s launch;
10% — Private sale and related bonuses;
10% — Public sale and related bonuses;
30% — To be released and unlocked in the future in accordance to network growth and demand rates.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Does 5% go to the Coin operator for service fees?

• Like 3

I have the most amazing idea.  I am going to take this thing that has existed for 10 years (small form PC).  I am gonna put it in a shitty plastic shell.  It will only cost $399.99 (it's under $400 so affordable).  Here's where my totally amazing idea comes into play.  What this device will do, is use other peoples' emulators to: get this shit.  It will actually play classic games!  Now, just because anyone with an IQ > 75 that has had a computer since 1998 has been able to do this easily and for free, does not mean this is a bad idea.

I'll need at least a million dollars to put this idea into play, because the development is gonna be hella though.  If all goes well, I should have something to really show by 2023, but I can come up with renders and brain fart ideas at any time after prodding.

Who wants to go with me on this journey?  We could change the world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Remember - Years, not decades.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

I have the most amazing idea.  I am going to take this thing that has existed for 10 years (small form PC).  I am gonna put it in a shitty plastic shell.  It will only cost $399.99 (it's under $400 so affordable).  Here's where my totally amazing idea comes into play.  What this device will do, is use other peoples' emulators to: get this shit.  It will actually play classic games!  Now, just because anyone with an IQ > 75 that has had a computer since 1998 has been able to do this easily and for free, does not mean this is a bad idea.

I'll need at least a million dollars to put this idea into play, because the development is gonna be hella though.  If all goes well, I should have something to really show by 2023, but I can come up with renders and brain fart ideas at any time after prodding.

Who wants to go with me on this journey?  We could change the world.

Shitty plastics aren't enough these days.

You need a special edition with a real shit veneer for $100 extra the very least.

• Like 3

Just posting to note that the January thing isn't an official delay, as I don't think they actually mentioned anything about general release just backer models. 

From gleaming through info though it sounds like late December for backer units is the new plan. BUSINESS DAYS NOT WEEKS! 

Also, atari coin token whatever was never going to make financial sense. Its a made up currency, its backed by nothing its value is whatever you make it. You'd be better investing buying phsycial video games and holding onto them for 10 years and reselling. Mystical valueless numbers that can't be used anywhere never give returns, it's an old trick, longer than the Internet or computers by a large margin, but people still fall for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1