IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

5 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

The Atari VCS is the rise of Skywalker of consoles. You know it's going to suck but you still have to see how it ends

Yes, I have invested too much time following the console trainwreck I must know how it ends. I mean going into ? ?‍♂️Batman & Robin you knew it was going to be Hot garbage but batman fans had to see it, they did not even try to make it seem like it had any potential, at the start of the movie you knew.... you knew...  ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

Yes, I have invested too much time following the console trainwreck I must know how it ends. I mean going into ? ?‍♂️Batman & Robin you knew it was going to be Hot garbage but batman fans had to see it, they did not even try to make it seem like it had any potential, at the start of the movie you knew.... you knew...  ?

I contend that "no news is good news" is the Atari's ass-zipper moment

• Haha 5

No-Effort-November has been over for 5 days now, Atari cannot give any more half baked lame reasons why the console is not shipping.

Con permiso, Atari. The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance. ???

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, OCAT said:

No-Effort-November has been over for 5 days now, Atari cannot give any more half baked lame reasons why the console is not shipping.

Con permiso, Atari. The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance. ???

That's not a dance, it's a full blown seizure. 

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, AlecRob said:

Fingers crossed.  It will be nice to finally see how the VCS performs in the real world.  

Is there really much doubt? It's got the specs of a $200 laptop and we already know how well they perform.

About the only way it could surprise us is if it's somehow even worse than that. Perhaps there's some bottleneck in the architecture somewhere that'll make it even slower than expected? Maybe they've stuffed up the cooling and it throttles? Maybe the power supplies are too fragile and you can't leave it on for any length of time without them overheating? When they've had an eighteen month overrun just to get the thing made, there's probably not been too much of that time dedicated to making sure that the engineering is rock solid, so I'd guess that anything is possible.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

No, that will never happen.  It can't run games from 2012 in 720p let alone this fancy new stuff.  but hey - Netflix, remember.

My bad, I forget that Atari's former statements and implications from 2017, along with those from the VCS FB fanboard about it coming in to "kill the PS5" don't count.

I can't wait to see what happens when people attempt to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 320p, lowest settings!

Short Circuit GIF - ShortCircuit GIFs

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Good news! I was able to get an early screenshot of Cyberpunk 1977 (CP77) running on the new VCS!  Note that this is an early development shot -- the final version may lose a little detail here and there in order to maintain acceptable performance on release hardware.

cp77-alpha1.thumb.png.0bbff86180bd3c5aff87c0344b248574.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

" Danger Scavenger a fast-paced action, cyberpunk-themed..."...

Yup, use the word "Cyberpunk" to get some interest in a cartoony game, This is what Atari VCS gets, a flash game I played many years ago, and at the bottom is what people expected.

They got Cyber Punk'd out of $

cpunked.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, Matt_B said:

Is there really much doubt? It's got the specs of a $200 laptop and we already know how well they perform.

About the only way it could surprise us is if it's somehow even worse than that. Perhaps there's some bottleneck in the architecture somewhere that'll make it even slower than expected? Maybe they've stuffed up the cooling and it throttles? Maybe the power supplies are too fragile and you can't leave it on for any length of time without them overheating? When they've had an eighteen month overrun just to get the thing made, there's probably not been too much of that time dedicated to making sure that the engineering is rock solid, so I'd guess that anything is possible.

They've literally had years to make the engineering rock solid lol

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 11:47 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

My bad, I forget that Atari's former statements and implications from 2017, along with those from the VCS FB fanboard about it coming in to "kill the PS5" don't count.

I can't wait to see what happens when people attempt to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 320p, lowest settings!

Short Circuit GIF - ShortCircuit GIFs

Haha, excellent Chopping Mall reference ?

Get ready to lower your expectations, backers!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

Refunds for all.

Aside from that, which is truly the Best Answer(TM), I would say:

1- Device is released, everyone who bought one gets it.

2- YouTube goes nuts for two weeks while every shill talks about how cool it is, and creates "hacking" videos that are indistinguishable from Raspberry Pi projects.

3- Atari almost immediately stops acknowledging the project, claims the shipped units are "a special gift for the true fans" or some garbage, and casts doubt that there will be a second run.

4- Five diehard fans continue to tinker with it endlessly.  No one else cares.

5- A year later, Atari announces another cash grab.  The cycle begins anew.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Aside from that, which is truly the Best Answer(TM), I would say:

1- Device is released, everyone who bought one gets it.

2- YouTube goes nuts for two weeks while every shill talks about how cool it is, and creates "hacking" videos that are indistinguishable from Raspberry Pi projects.

3- Atari almost immediately stops acknowledging the project, claims the shipped units are "a special gift for the true fans" or some garbage, and casts doubt that there will be a second run.

4- Five diehard fans continue to tinker with it endlessly.  No one else cares.

5- A year later, Atari announces another cash grab.  The cycle begins anew.  

giphy.gif

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

My money is on the PSU, nobody has seen it yet, coincidence?  Maybe a C64 PSU, those are reliable.

I wonder if pesky things like regulatory compliance are holding it up, especially for the PSU...you know, since the barrel jack on the VCS was labeled "AC" in the last photos we saw (without even a voltage stated, and we know it must be DC), and (for the EU) the EN 60950-1 standard ceases to exist on Dec 20th and EN 62368-1 takes over. Oh, and REACH for the EU has a new regulation in effect come Jan 5th.

I would bet a couple of bucks that Atari forgot regulatory compliance is even a thing, let alone understanding it means different things in different countries.

Edited by aramis
  • Like 4