IGNORED

The Atari VCS Controversies Thread

Mockduck

19 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Sure, you take an existing gaming technology, like unique items in an MMO or virtual land and items in Second Life, add an additional layer of unnecessary "blockchain" technology and pull in the idiots who don't know anything about gaming or blockchain... but heard that bitcoin made people a lot of money. 

Blockchain brings nothing to the table that doesn't already exist in gaming in some form.

Sure, and I'm in agreement with you on that.  My question was more rhetorical than anything else, though I really didn't make that clear.

Either way, it's another load of horseshit from Chesnais et cie.

• Like 1

It takes a certain level of apathy and appreciation of irony to get the most out of a platform as barren as the Atari VCS, as well as the godforsaken company who created it.  Tis fate.

VCS makes the PC platform more interesting, because this PC has an Atari logo on the friggin PCB inside!  How beautiful! 

Edited by AlecRob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, JasperAK said:

There they go again mucking it up again. How can they expect a server web of less than 11,000 substandard PCs to connect their mighty bitcoin and hotel empire? There's more computing power devoted by amateurs looking for Planet 9 on https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/marckuchner/backyard-worlds-planet-9.

I never said it was a good plan ? 

Plus we all know who we are talking about here. Do you think Fred really put much thought into either?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlecRob said:

It takes a certain level of apathy and appreciation of irony to get the most out of a platform as barren as the Atari VCS, as well as the godforsaken company who created it.  Tis fate.

Apathy, irony, and fate are not the same thing as parting a fool from his money.

VCS makes the PC platform more interesting, because this PC has an Atari logo on the friggin PCB inside!  How beautiful! 

Be sure to use it with the case off so that you get your money's worth out of staring at that logo. ?

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I don't know where to begin with this since I can't tell if you're being sincere, sarcastic, or somewhere in the middle.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, AlecRob said:

?

51eb54_039e321bc10545ec96abb4e191006774_mv2.jpg.6a6a9e3e35b19022e73b61c980897d6b.jpg

Edited by racerx
  • Like 2

o.o ?
This thing out yet?, just poking my head in here after a surge in posting...
I heard on #CUPodcast that shipping is now starting next week, meaning anywhere from this Sunday to Saturday and Atari is going the FIFO shipping method, I guess they gave up on trying to come up with bogus reasons why they are not shipping the orders without controllers.
The time of recconing is upon us. The rabbid fans are going to come after all the haterz, or there will be a massive problem and they haterz are going to say "I told you so" I would suggest getting a good amount of snack foods so you dont miss any of the free fine-aged Entertainment and Drama.
This is it, New Atari console in the wild, out for anyone to review, no turning back, time to watch e-bay for re-sellers and youtube for real reviews.

• Like 2

For anyone getting lost in the shuffle, here's an update on reasons to buy an Atari VCS.

So far we have:

1) Having an Atari logo on a circuit board (by extension we could have the LED backlit Fuji logo on the case)

2) A case that sorta looks like an old VCS

3) You can connect it to a TV without an RF adapter

4) You can get a new CX-40 joystick for it (additional charges apply)

5) Scroll through a mostly empty menu with gouraud shaded boxes

6) Mine Atari-branded cryptocurrency to further enrich Fred Chesnais

7) Hold important papers down. Particularly useful in windy locations

8 ) Hold open important doors. Particularly important in houses

9) Use it as an outdated, underpowered, always connected PC

10) Download an official Atari VCS digital remote

11) Spend $300~$400 to play a $10 collection of games available on Steam 

I do think #7 is debatable though - if it doesn't have rubber feet, then it's not going to do that job very well.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

19 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Did I miss anything?

I think you missed the creative hacking community that will inevitably arise to modify the VCS.

Just off the top of my head, I imagine it can be repurposed to prop open kitchen cabinet doors, or press the water out of tofu.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

50 minutes ago, 6502wrangler said:

I think you missed the creative hacking community that will inevitably arise to modify the VCS.

Just off the top of my head, I imagine it can be repurposed to prop open kitchen cabinet doors, or press the water out of tofu.

It's this kind of forward, outside-the-box thinking that should have been there in the earliest stages of R&D for the new console.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, 6502wrangler said:

Prop, Open & Press like never before!

44 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Same for #8 then and even worse; it looks far too light to hold a door... ?

True, although it's possible that with the right mod, one could add a wedge to one side of it and that'd be just enough to hold a closet door open. Blockchain closets, I'd like to see the PS5 handle that!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Same for #8 then and even worse; it looks far too light to hold a door... ?

For this feature, it is better to install an heavy OS on an external herd disk drive (but not an USB stick, a real big and fat HDD).

Windows 10 should do the job, even for doors.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 6502wrangler said:

You certainly are a very effective troll! Much better than Powerdubs.

Not even close.  Delusional maybe, but at least this guy isn't shilling a useless penny stock, begging people to invest.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AlecRob said:

Come on, you guys don't understand. atari VCS could DOMINATE the failed niche console market!  I don’t get why you guys aren’t more excited. 

Come on dude - it's not even funny at this point.  The cheese eating patent trolls that call themselves Atari have defrauded people to the tune of $3 MILLION and people still give them a fucking free pass?!?  This bullshit brand loyalty is the same as giving celebrities and church officials free passes on diddling kids and bilking senior citizens out of their life savings.

Some of us don't like seeing such lying treacherous behaviour and call people out on it.

• Like 4