IGNORED

Another shooter reissue: Gaiares

Steven Pendleton

Yes, you do get the shirt.

https://retro-bit.com/gaiares

More interesting than perhaps even the reissue itself is that they got the dude back. You know the dude? Yeah, the dude. He's back and they interviewed him.

I just got a Japanese copy of this game several months ago, so I'm not sure if I will get this, but it's a very nice shooter and you should definitely have it if you like console shooters from this era. They did a very excellent job with the Toaplan rereleases and I imagine this will be just as good.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I am looking forward to this. A friend had a copy in high school but I never owned it myself.

It's a nice game. It is also probably one of the more difficult shooters on the system, partially because of how the weapon system works. If you die and get sent back to a checkpoint where there are only enemies with not-great weapons to steal, it can be a bit frustrating. The solution, as always, is "don't die", but...

• Like 2

I played this game again for the first time in a while maybe 12 hours ago and I remembered that it has exactly 2 difficulty options and those are easy and extremely difficult. lol you'd think there would be something in between, but no~

I have decided that I am going to get this rerelease, as well. I'll get around to actually buying it eventually. I think that it's still available for like 20 more days or something like that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 11:56 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I played this game again for the first time in a while maybe 12 hours ago and I remembered that it has exactly 2 difficulty options and those are easy and extremely difficult. lol you'd think there would be something in between, but no~

I have decided that I am going to get this rerelease, as well. I'll get around to actually buying it eventually. I think that it's still available for like 20 more days or something like that.

I just loaded my mini up with all these shooters last weekend and was playing a bunch of titles along with Gaiares, which I never played back in the day. It's amazing how unforgivable these games were. I was struggling in easy mode last thing I need to do is go from 1 to 10.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I actually received mine this past Friday and it is a very impressive package considering the cost! The t-shirt is nicely folded and inside its own plastic bag to protect it. The cartridge label is beautiful against that smoke transparent shell and it is just a very impressive set. Again, considering the cost, I've gotten some other reissued games that cost much more and didn't impress me as much as this one did when I opened it up.

• Like 2

I take it these are hard to get and end up going out of stock fast and up for shill values by those who just intended to turn them over?  Glad I've got the legit old cart.  It's nice that stuff is made, be cool if some of the really quality expensively ridiculous stuff like Gleylancer got the treatment.

Edited by Tanooki

I will have to double check, but I believe I bought mine from Strictly Limited when they were first offered for sale. I want to say it only set me back like $60 USD which again compared to some other recent releases and home brews, is not bad at all and it seems to all be done with quite a bit of quality. Even the slip cover for the case has embossing and raised relief elements on it. 

I also own the original cartridge loose so I bought this more to have a more official CIB version of the game and I'm very glad that I did! I don't believe these sold out crazy fast either and it was available for sale for some time?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

^ same question, but for Castlemania. Support page says they should have all finished shipping like 10 days ago, but I've gotten nothing.

I misspoke earlier and mine actually did come Castlemania. I received the shipping notification about a week before it arrived in my mailbox back at the beginning of the month.

15 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I misspoke earlier and mine actually did come Castlemania. I received the shipping notification about a week before it arrived in my mailbox back at the beginning of the month.

I actually checked on Castlemania and it looks like they shipped mine several days ago but I never got a notification email for it and it hasn't actually gone anywhere yet. US postal system is really strange...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I actually checked on Castlemania and it looks like they shipped mine several days ago but I never got a notification email for it and it hasn't actually gone anywhere yet. US postal system is really strange...

I did get shipping notification to one of my alt emails that I use for stuff like this. But I don't recall if the tracking I received had timely updates or not. I can tell you that shipping notification of an unrelated retro product that I ordered around the same time was always showing the same information (Label created but not yet in the system, postal carrier is waiting to receive the package from the sender...). And then 2 weeks later it just shows up in my mail box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My copy showed up yesterday. It's definitely Gaiares. It does default to Japanese in my Japanese Mega Drive, as well, which is good, and it still only has 2 difficulty settings, easy and super hard. No super normal here, but that's how it always was.

Cart build quality, and the quality of everything else, for that matter, is excellent, as expected. If you bought any of the Retro-Bit Toaplan games you know what you're getting. Good job, Retro-Bit. Now go do Slap Fight MD!