IGNORED

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl- who's getting the remake tomorrow?

digdugnate

I'm trying to talk my daughter into it.  She has Pearl for the DS and used it for like 10 hours or so, but got distracted by more pokemon games and other stuff (Terraria, Minecraft, Mario Maker, Stardew etc) and really it's a relic worth more to a collector at this rate.  She's stubborn and unwilling to deal with change barely at all, still has 5 GB/C games with no handheld for them as an example.

I'm avoiding it, never cared about that generation, too samey to others.  I'm all for Arceus as that has something wholly new going on there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm trying to talk my daughter into it.  She has Pearl for the DS and used it for like 10 hours or so, but got distracted by more pokemon games and other stuff (Terraria, Minecraft, Mario Maker, Stardew etc) and really it's a relic worth more to a collector at this rate.  She's stubborn and unwilling to deal with change barely at all, still has 5 GB/C games with no handheld for them as an example.

I'm avoiding it, never cared about that generation, too samey to others.  I'm all for Arceus as that has something wholly new going on there.

That makes total sense.  Mrs DD and I are looking forward to Arceus as well, but we like the same-old same-old.  Maybe we're what's wrong with the Pokemon franchise! ?

I'm spent on it, I find I get diminishing returns per generation where I care less to play see deeply into the game.  The exception was the phenonmenally fun and refreshing Ultra Sun, that with the major overhaul of the story, progression and added layers made that one a gem of a release.  Dead is the wash rinse repeat of the gym, now it's tiers of island challenges between the totems and kahunas, but you also have multiple stories going on to actually drive a reason to care anymore.  Team skull, those future looking duo, trying to figure out the mysteries going on, not just gym hitting spin cycle for another decade.  It's so enjoyable.  By the time this duo originally came out, I skipped them, skipped black/whites, did get soul silver but only tolerated 1/2 of it I think, skipped Emerald etc on GBA too for FireReds enhancements.  Y was an utter piece of garbage, I got put off that so fast comparatively speaking.  I tried to enjoy for my kids sake Sword/Shield but other than the poorly executed wild zone and the raids swiped largely from Go, it was poor for play, nice for the story at least but it went too far back to the gym banging rotation I was fed up with.  Arceus being pre-gym, pre-pokeball ... open world, forging relationships to team with the pokemon -- I like that, for all we know it could be a weird melding of breath of the wild openness with pokemon being the driving element and that seems amazing if that's how it plays out.

And yes, no offense, you are what's wrong with the franchise, not you specifically but you as a large group of older players who keep demanding little to no change, no advancement or change to the franchise, who then get hyper critical, bitchy/whiny in person comments or childish so called pro media reviews taking lame swipes, all of it.  It fears Nintendo/Game Freak into not wanting to do much because they get crapped all over and it stifles the franchise.  Some of the best elements are the stuff people (older) have bitched the worst about for years now.  Sun/Moon get dumped on for what I praised, Go still gets laid low by pokemon master race types, and Arceus probably will be too, and clearly this remake is getting crapped on for the changes too which was pretty predictable seeing the same infantile stuff from the same group of grown children. :)

• Like 1

No offense taken, of course!  I don't mind yakking about stuff with folks that think differently than me.  For what it's worth, I don't complain endlessly about that stuff because in the long run keeping the stuff the same makes for stagnant games.  (Full disclosure, I'm all over the place with thoughts and opinions).

I really liked Ultra Sun/Moon.  X/Y and Black/White got a big 'meh' from me.  Sword/Shield was decent enough, but once you finish the 'story', there wasn't a compelling reason to play anymore (much like the older Game Boy/DS games).  New Diamond/Pearl has some really cool QoL changes that make the game more fun than the original (Experience Share on for your party, not having to make a Pokemon an HM machine just to use em).

Arceus is looking really good!  I'm excited to see how it pans out.  

Thanks again for the discussion. :)

No problem and I see you get it too.  X/Y and B/W1+2 were as you said, meh.  Diamond/Pearl you're on it about that, kind of why I'm trying to talk my kid into just dumping the DS game for that as she'll get more out of it.

There are just so many grown up poke-trash consumers these days utterly defiant and entitled about what it should be not realizing it's not meant for them primarily.  Sure we're at like nearly 1000 pokemon, it's ridiculous thinking at some rate they weren't going to have some in this region, some in that region, not some giant grab bag.  You have to pull back at some rate before it's asinine.  I totally get what they did with Sword and Shield, even if they weren't all that great (story ends, game blows basically.)  SUre it could be seen as lazy, I get that, but I mean how many people are they supposed to hire or how many years between releases to try and design an ever growing game to accomodate a 1000 pokemon, how about 1500 ...2000?  You have to realize at some rate you need to regionalize or drop some of them by the game, not just to be fair to staff, but gamers too.  What's next 16 gyms and leaders double the game so you can have enough spread?  That would get SOOO tiresome both for players and designers.  Pokemon fans aside from the kids are some of the most toxic stupid self serving individuals all about ME ME ME than seeing the bigger picture.

• Like 1