IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Weeks 3 and 4 ~ Arcade Favorites

Vocelli

39 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Any tips for those of us who suck at Asteroids?

1.  Don't use thrusters.  Stay in the middle.

2.  Get good at using shields.

3.  Firing to the right seems to be a longer shot, allowing you to destroy more than firing to the left.

4.  Learn how to take out the UFOs quickly.  Their aim seems to improve if allowed to stay on screen too long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Galaxian: 72990

I hope to post a 6-figure score at some point on this one.

Some tips:

1. It's important to avoid missing shots since you have to wait for your shot to clear the top of the screen before you get your next shot.  It's often best to just take your thumb off the button for a moment to make sure you have a clear shot.  This is especially the case if you choose Difficulty B where holding the button down automatically releases the next shot. 
  2. I prefer Difficulty B since it sometimes makes it less risky to try for 800 point boss ships, but it can be a disadvantage if you don't release the button and allow some random shot to fire.
  3. I spend most my time targeting the Galaxians after they've left their formation.  Taking them out in flight scores more points and you can focus more of your concentration on maneuvering your ship to avoid getting hit.
  4. It can be particularly dangerous when a boss ship descends with a red Galaxian both to the left and the right (making the attack 3-wide while in flight).  If I notice that I've taken out the red ship immediately below a boss ship in the formation, I will often try to take out the red ship to its left or right to prevent this scenario.  This is about the only time I intentionally target a Galaxian while in formation.
  5. When observing others play for high scores, they often take out columns of Galaxians in the formation working left to right. By staying toward the left edge of the screen, the purple Galaxians will usually fly off the edge of the screen making them less a threat.  While this strategy works well for some, I haven't been as successful using it.

image.thumb.png.b74aeabc9c447ce9645d941722de392b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Big improvement on Galaxian. I actually should have probably done better in the end. I got to about 35,000 having only lost one life, and then noticed how far ahead of my previous score I had got. I promptly lost my rhythm and lost my remaining three lives in relatively short order ! . I'm hoping to improve further before the round is out 

Galaxian (1983) (Atari).png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Asteroids: 27340. I just can’t figure out the hitbox for the asteroids. Half the time when I release the shield after it looks clear of me I blow up anyway. Sigh.

2BB5BC4B-9793-470B-985A-BE6F1C7BCBEB.jpeg

13 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I’ve definitely noticed that. But I feel sometimes I’ve had the shield ip an inadvertently fired a shot and had the shield drop, or more commonly hit fire and move the joystick down at the same time and it fires but does not raise the shield.

That's probably just a coincidence.  Trying to fire may have moved the stick enough to lower your shields, but if the shields are up, you cannot fire a shot.  The ship will explode if the shields are up for more than 2 seconds.  What's more is that letting go of the shields doesn't instantly give you another full 2 second shield.  However long you have the shields up, you have to let "cool down" for the same amount of time to get a full 2 seconds of shields again.  

• Thanks 4