IGNORED

Atari VCS (retail deals/discount thread)

Mockduck

It's official: "partial refund" received AND shipping notification (with tracking details) received, sooooo I definitely got a brand-new VCS Modern Controller for three pennies. Everyone is giddy over a $100 VCS Onyx All-In from GameStop but I'm pretty sure my three cent Modern Controller takes the cake! ?

• Like 4

On 4/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, Leonard Smith said:

The end must be near 

How is the end near if they're still supporting it with new software? And the 50th anniversary is coming up. You really think they're giving up on it that easily without doing that name some justice? They're just clearing out old stock and more people bought the woodgrain model anyway.

1 hour ago, Djmicklovin said:

How is the end near if they're still supporting it with new software? And the 50th anniversary is coming up. You really think they're giving up on it that easily without doing that name some justice? They're just clearing out old stock and more people bought the woodgrain model anyway.

When you've sold a product for 1/3 the cost, you really can't go back to selling it at the higher price, regardless of woodgrain vs onyx.  If they wanted to clear out the Onyx for a lower price, they didn't need to go all the way down to $99.  This is what a liquidation looks like.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeA said:

When you've sold a product for 1/3 the cost, you really can't go back to selling it at the higher price, regardless of woodgrain vs onyx.  If they wanted to clear out the Onyx for a lower price, they didn't need to go all the way down to $99.  This is what a liquidation looks like.  I hope I'm wrong.

"They" is GameStop, not Atari. Atari is not liquidating VCS stock, GameStop is. There's a difference. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I recently decided to sell a block of wood for 10 cents to someone even though I paid a dollar for it. The lumber industry must be in big trouble!

I would assume GameStop and Micro Center blew out their inventory for some valid reason. They know what is selling, and what is just taking up space, right?

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

I would assume GameStop and Micro Center blew out their inventory for some valid reason. They know what is selling, and what is just taking up space, right?

Not if they don't like what I like, they don't. Clearly if they disagree with my tastes they're wrong.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slikatel said:

Who all is left that sells them? It will be interesting to see it Best Buy follows suit.

Yep.

Gamestop is a nationwide game retailer.  
If they're doing a fire-sale, then who does leave exactly?  

I still to this day have never seen a unit or any of its accessories in any physical store.  Best Buy, Gamestop, and so forth.  
They can only survive on word of mouth and online sales for so long.

No ill will, but this doesn't look good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeA said:

They’re still selling the VCS at full price on the Atari website. Atari didn’t produce that many to begin with and VCS sales were online only, it was a very limited run. Have you ever seen a VCS on store shelves at Gamestop? Everything sold out in a day, so they moved more product and got the VCS into more homes. I see it as a good thing. They can make up that loss with software sales. They’re probably capitalizing on Intellivision Shamico’s recent price increase too… 

I don’t know what you people expected from this company, they’re not Microsoft. They are a small fledgling company that did all this with very little money. At the very least they produced a product. It’s not perfect, it has it’s flaws but they got it done during the pandemic and all and in some of the hardest of times right now. We have products like the Intellivision Amico that were crowdfunded with a lot more money than the VCS that still haven’t seen the light of day yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, Djmicklovin said:

They’re still selling the VCS at full price on the Atari website. Atari didn’t produce that many to begin with and VCS sales were online only, it was a very limited run. Have you ever seen a VCS on store shelves at Gamestop? Everything sold out in a day, so they moved more product and got the VCS into more homes. I see it as a good thing. They can make up that loss with software sales. They’re probably capitalizing on Intellivision Shamico’s recent price increase too… 

I don’t know what you people expected from this company, they’re not Microsoft. They are a small fledgling company that did all this with very little money. At the very least they produced a product. It’s not perfect, it has it’s flaws but they got it done during the pandemic and all and in some of the hardest of times right now. We have products like the Intellivision Amico that were crowdfunded with a lot more money than the VCS that still haven’t seen the light of day yet. 

They produced 10,000 units this is less than a run of Atgames Atari units, did gamestop really buy 5k? Units sit on them for a year then liquidate them for 100bucks, if their online only why would they of not made a deal to sell them just in time from Atari, being a location in name only then letting Atari ship them.

They are at 3 mass retailers, I went to gamestop employees had no clue what I was talking about, at least with jag back in the day they had it on shelf to mock it.

Ebay is selling them for around 260, new, so that's the mkt price.  Apparently releasing a system, with zero advertising...didn't work.

• Like 1

FYI - I was able to get Best Buy to pricematch Gamestop for the $29.99 VCS Classic Controller and Joystick.  I bought one each and they arrived today - total price charged for both items was $66.  Ymmv but I can confirm that it worked for me and the billing is correct.

3 minutes ago, MikeA said:

FYI - I was able to get Best Buy to pricematch Gamestop for the $29.99 VCS Classic Controller and Joystick.  I bought one each and they arrived today - total price charged for both items was $66.  Ymmv but I can confirm that it worked for me and the billing is correct.

Congrats! Surprised that worked since they're basically out of stock at GameStop, but perhaps Best Buy doesn't realize that when GameStop's site says "Verify Address," it's essentially doublespeak for "out of stock!" 

I'm still floored that I snagged a Modern Controller from Best Buy for THREE CENTS, on a price match with Micro Center but they messed up the price adjustment hahahaha!

On 4/20/2022 at 10:54 AM, MScottson said:

I am in Canada and I am using planetexpress to ship the onyx all in to Canada.  The process is detailed here and it seems they also go to the UK if anyone else is interested in the deal from abroad:

https://www.yoreoyster.com/shipping/gamestop-canada/#:~:text=No%2C Gamestop does not ship,on to you in Canada.

I love your choice of shipping companies! I only hope Bender shows up to deliver it!

6 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

They are at 3 mass retailers, I went to gamestop employees had no clue what I was talking about, at least with jag back in the day they had it on shelf to mock it.

Ebay is selling them for around 260, new, so that's the mkt price.  Apparently releasing a system, with zero advertising...didn't work.

Demand has to be there first before they can go into store shelves. But yeah, people still don’t even know it’s a thing. Store shelf awareness matters. More advertising definitely would’ve helped.

If they had spent more money on advertising they might have ran out of money and never even produced it. Intellivision tried that, they spent a bunch of money on advertising, they even went to E3… Where has that gotten them? Nowhere… 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Micro Center's list price (not even showing as a discounted sale price) on the Classic Controller is currently $39.99. It's the only Atari VCS item listed on their site these days (unless you're near Marietta, GA; Chicago, IL; Overland Park, KS; or Houston, TX, as those Micro Center locations still have some Modern Controllers at $19.99 per), and it's only showing for select stores that still have some stock remaining.

Based on experience, you will likely be able to get Best Buy to price match these controllers for you! Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2022 at 5:24 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Micro Center's list price (not even showing as a discounted sale price) on the Classic Controller is currently $39.99. It's the only Atari VCS item listed on their site these days (unless you're near Marietta, GA; Chicago, IL; Overland Park, KS; or Houston, TX, as those Micro Center locations still have some Modern Controllers at $19.99 per), and it's only showing for select stores that still have some stock remaining.

Based on experience, you will likely be able to get Best Buy to price match these controllers for you! Cheers.

Thanks for the head's up! Still disappointed my Gamestop classic controller order didn't get fulfilled at $29, but this is close enough to at least make sure I get one since they seem to be disappearing. I live about 50 miles from a Microcenter where the website said 1 in stock at the store, but my zip code was acceptable to Best Buy so I got a price match with free shipping with no argument. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The $180 Onyx is a good deal, as is the $240 all in bundle, for those who don't have one. The T-shirt sales are ok, too, but the real new bit of interest is the debut of an "Atari PC Mode" USB stick for $30. 

The stick comes with a free Linux thing on it (Debian) along with a bunch of free open source productivity software. Nice enough in theory for someone who wants to actually do not-Windows PC productivity stuff on their VCS, but I have to assume you can't do much gaming in Debian Linux unless it's supported, but how many games support Debian Linux? 

Of course, though, I'm getting one. :) Will be interesting to see what I can actually do with it. It is, of course, a USB stick, so could just reformat it and put Windows on it. 

Stick: https://atari.com/products/usb-port

Onyx+Stick bundle for $204: https://atari.com/products/vcs-usb-pc-mode 

Edited by Mockduck

It’s a shame they don’t ship to the UK or I’d be buying the USB stick for sure just to add to the collection. I’m up to owning 3 VCS’s now do I’d probably just run one as a Debian Linux box if I got my hands on the USB stick. I’m hoping it might pop up on eBay at some point in the future, I guess if it does I’ll be looking at paying a crazy price for one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I have to assume you can't do much gaming in Debian Linux unless it's supported, but how many games support Debian Linux?

A lot more than you'd think.   Steam + GoG sell Linux-native games,  and Steam has proton built in that allows many Windows games to be played

Plus there's support for many emulators.