IGNORED

Atari VCS (retail deals/discount thread)

Mockduck

On 11/29/2022 at 11:39 PM, Keatah said:

How are the scalpers doing it? Research that and then do it. And then you'll have it!

I don't have to research it. Scalpers buy it when there are no restrictions and resell it.

As a Canadian, I cannot buy it. Atari isn't selling to anyone outside the U.S.A. Therefore I cannot be a scalper even if I wanted to be one.

Are you following me yet????

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, davpa said:

Look to the store on Monday...

Excellent! I'll stock up in a show of support.

I'm a fan of the "new" 2022 Atari, it's unrecognizable from the "zombie" years of only leveraging the intellectual property, and it feels better now than when it was launching the VCS at PS/Xbox price-points. Perhaps it's simply learned some humility? $240 for an indie-focused game console with two controllers, including the retro-innovative classic controller, is a fantastic deal made better that it's also one of the better mini PCs. Plus, soon (hopefully) it can natively run Atari 50, the game that made me stop and realize the "new" 2022 Atari was capable of getting things very right. I'm eagerly anticipating the homebrew app mentioned on discord.

I'm not sure about the strategy around re-releasing $99 Atari 2600 library cartridges with LED lighting, but I bought the Atari XP previously-unreleased 2600 cartridges at the $49 price point. And after they were assembled incorrectly and with errors, appreciated the shipped fixes and compensation with badges and pins. The goodwill cemented it for me. I never would have really given the VCS a chance if it wasn't for that mea culpa from Atari.

In short, the new Atari finally feels like it's trying to make things both for the childhood nostalgia crowd that's about 50ish and also trying to build for a new audience.

• Like 2

I’m not clear on the level of discounts, but it appears that perhaps everything is discounted in the Atari VCS online store right now? I think I’m seeing 12-20% off depending on the game.

UPDATE: “SALE” items 20% off just fine, including a few new ones from Black Friday. Other items marked 12% off (like Sydney Hunter for 8.79) are being charged full price (9.99 in this case). Only realized when reading email confirmations.

Edited by MrZarniwoop

On 12/18/2022 at 3:46 AM, MrZarniwoop said:

I'm a fan of the "new" 2022 Atari, it's unrecognizable from the "zombie" years of only leveraging the intellectual property, and it feels better now than when it was launching the VCS at PS/Xbox price-points. Perhaps it's simply learned some humility? $240 for an indie-focused game console with two controllers, including the retro-innovative classic controller, is a fantastic deal made better that it's also one of the better mini PCs. Plus, soon (hopefully) it can natively run Atari 50, the game that made me stop and realize the "new" 2022 Atari was capable of getting things very right. I'm eagerly anticipating the homebrew app mentioned on discord.

It's more that Sony and Microsoft sell tens of millions of consoles so they get unbeatable volume discounts from AMD.    When PS5 launched, I tried to build out PC with equivalent capabilities and performance on PC-part picker and it was around $1700-1800 for a complete system.   That just shows how underpriced the PS5/Xbox are for what they offer.

So if you're Atari and planning for volumes of well under a hundred thousand VCSes by all accounts-  you can't match Sony/Microsoft or even Nintendo on price and performance.  It's two years old now so it's bound to come down in price.

I do agree Atari's been doing cool things recently.   The new CEO has been saying the right things.   We'll see what happens once the 50th anniversary year is over though

Ended up picking one of these up as I now have a family member living in the states who’s willing to ship it out to me here in the UK! No idea what I’ll do with it as it’ll be my 4th VCS I own but I couldn’t resist at the price and the speaker hat looks really cool. I don’t think these will be around much longer might just keep it boxed. 

I was fortunate enough to get my black walnut bundle from MicroCenter (in-store) for $149.99 a while back and my Black Onyx bundle from GameStop (online order) for $99 earlier this year. Black one is still boxed. Doubt you'll see those prices again. This 50/50 deal is well worth it.