IGNORED

Favorite Computer Conversions to Gen/MD

Tanooki

I've been on and off with the system over the years, finally settled on being happier with than without earlier this year and got a Nomad, a few carts, and an everdrive.

I've never been big on some of the usual stuff people goo goo over from Sega themselves, but some things I've noticed is the Genesis/MD seemed to get a fairly solid amount of Computer(PC, Euro PCs etc) conversions and more so than the Nintendo (SNES, etc) did.  I was curious of those here familiar, what do you find the most fun, perhaps accurate or well converted games on the system you enjoy wasting time on?

For me, Dune II (Dune Battle of Arrakis) along with the original Star Control were some pretty phenominally well conversions.  They're also not in the norm of what you'd expect at that era on a console either really, Star Control with its mix of capture an area and the melee stood out.  But doing the RTS on that system with Dune II from DOS was nuts, it works so well, the various houses, stages, quite faithfully converted.  It took some years like until Starcraft and Command & Conquer hit the N64 to see such closeness in efforts.

• Like 1

I haven't really compared them in detail but I know MD has some strong Amiga/other computer conversions. Eg Corporation, Speedball 2, Turrican, Flashback, Jim Power, Chaos Engine. Some are on par, some slightly worse and some better (than Amiga, probably the closest competitor at the time).

I don't know about all the different versions other than what I've seen or played on my Genesis. But as @youxia stated, there are quite a few games on the Genesis that exist on the Amiga as well. I'm assuming this is due to the similar CPUs used in them so porting from one to the other was likely easier than most.

Dune II has been mentioned and I agree it is a fantastic conversion. But so is the first Dune that was both on PC and converted to the SegaCD. Same thing with Wing Commander. Although the PC version will always be my preferred version, I think of the console releases, the SegaCD version is the most close to the PC release as far as the ships in the game, missions, and added voices. The colors look really bad in some places but the actual game plays well on the Genesis and back in the day if a person didn't have the ability to play it on the PC I would say the SegaCD version was the next best one to have.

I would have also said Sonic CD but that is cheating since Sonic CD was on the SegaCD first.

Actually, now that I think about it, Thunder Force II MD is also technically a computer conversion and it's good. X68000 version is better, but the console version works well enough. I have never played any version of Granada, but that's another supposedly great computer (X68000) game with a supposedly great port.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

You know what else there is that's a PC port? Snatcher. I don't know if the Sega CD version (which was never released on the Mega-CD in Japan) is a port of the PC Engine version (probably) or the PC-88 or MSX2 version of the game, but it started its existence as a PC game, so I suppose it counts.

Loved Corporation on the MD (though the ST and Amiga versions did have a feature where if you sent Core a photo of yourself and a blank disk, you'd be able to have your own photo on your I. D badge in the game). 

God's was superb, ran faster and in 64 colours, played better with the joypad, sadly missing Richard Joseph's "Into The Wonderful ' title music. 

Megalomania was another i poured hours into. 

Didn't pick up Cannon Fodder until the Jaguar (a very expensive mistake) 

Avoided ports of:

Xenon II

Turrican

Stormlord

Speedball II

Chaos Engine

• Like 1

Kings Bounty - build armies of different troops troops while exploring. Great conversion I thought. 

Starflight - my favorite PC and Genesis RPG as a kid. The think the differences were quality of life upgrades for console plus a nice graphical facelift over the PC version. Though they had several years of iteration between versions to work on it.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:49 AM, Tanooki said:

Genesis/MD

• Like 1

I really like the Genny port of Sid Meier's Pirates!...

Lemmings and Worms were pretty decent, IIRC.

The Dizzy games were good, but I don't think very many made it over...pretty sure NES had way more.

I prefer the SNES Populous to the PC version(s), but the Genesis version isn't quite as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asaki said:

I really like the Genny port of Sid Meier's Pirates!...

Lemmings and Worms were pretty decent, IIRC.

The Dizzy games were good, but I don't think very many made it over...pretty sure NES had way more.

I prefer the SNES Populous to the PC version(s), but the Genesis version isn't quite as good.

Friend lent me Pirates on the C64, couldn't get into it, but loved it on PSP.