IGNORED

How would you improve the AtariOS interface?

stirrell

I was just curious what others here would like to see for refinements to the AtariOS interface. A few suggestions I have are:

- Add a search to the Dashboard.

- Allow pinning of favorites to the top.

- Add the ability for folders.

- Have a way to switch between applications like on AppleTV. Background apps would just be suspended.

- Have a way to map controllers to functions in Chrome. It probably isn’t too practical, but I want to scrub through videos using the classic controller ?. There are likely much more practical uses for the controllers in the streaming apps.

- On the Mac there are applications to bundle a website as an application using Chrome… it would be cool to be able to create custom apps that way for the dashboard or at least be able to add bookmarks to the Dashboard.

And, of course, I will be happy when they add in the voice control like in the original promo video ? j/k.

• Like 4

I pretty much agree with all of your suggestions. I would also like the ability to change the Dashboard theme to then I would be happy lol. I like the Dashboard as is just now to be fair as it’s clean and simple to navigate but with a few more of the above features implemented it could definitely be better. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stirrell said:

I was just curious what others here would like to see for refinements to the AtariOS interface.

I know from a source that user-interface improvements are planned, but
I heard that they are focusing on adding more features into AtariOS first.

I'm happy that they're focused on code to benefit games, like high-score
tables, performance options, widening emulation, fixing mouse support.

- I think the Home tab does not work as intended - not last used first,
and I'd like to be able to simply mark games/apps as favourites easily.
- I'd like to see a new tab for Services - I heard that it might come.
- I'd like to see a new tab for Homebrew - I heard that it's coming.
- I'd like to have tabs under Games, for Favourites, Genres, etc. too.
- I'd like to be able to choose a theme/colours, and the size of text.
- Under controllers, yes, options to remap other controller buttons.
  I'd also like to see things like mute/volume, battery life, in pop-up.
- More languages supported - but not many owners need Dutch yet.

I think the options in the VCS Store for filtering by genre are not obvious,
and adding a search bar would be a good addition, as the store evolves.

I think there are already functions in the UI people don't see are there.
e.g. seeing details of an installed program, uninstalling one, moving or
backing up games, and so on. I guess a "user-guide" page might help.

- I'd like to see version 2 of the Companion App be more intuitive and 
to use the screen to the maximum. It seems to waste a lot of potential.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Allpaul said:

First and foremost, I’d like to be able to exit to dashboard from all apps using the controller. Unless I’m missing something? I usually have to use the keyboard. 

You should be able to hold the Fuji button to bring up a menu to exit to the Dashboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would like to have a "News" tab that provides information on recent & upcoming releases, developer interviews, and social media posts from the official VCS accounts. 

The profiles are nice but I'd like to view my own and set which games are my favorites. More user info such as a bio section, game counter, and time tracking for each game would be welcome additions. A "total hours played" counter would also be really neat to have. 

An option to save screenshots and post to social media (like how Nintendo Switch does it) would be a fun feature to have. This can be done by having a "Take screenshot" button in the dashboard exit menu (the one that comes up when you press & hold the fuji button). 

All games connected to our accounts should remain in the "Games" tab regardless if they're installed or not. Games that are not installed should have a "download" icon in one of the corners in their respective cover art (lower right, for example) to indicate that it's not installed but can be by clicking on the game's cover art. This way, if we ever wish to re-download a game, we would just click on the game cover art and a menu will come up confirming us to re-download & install. So far, the only way to re-download a game is to go to the store, but what if the game is delisted and no longer available in the store? How would we re-download the game in question now?

• Like 6

Some other new features and enhancements I’d like to see on the Atari VCS would be:

Shopping cart – This would greatly benefit the shopping experience. Having to purchase multiple products separately and inputting CC information multiple times is really annoying.

Achievements – This feature would add replay value to the titles in the VCS store. Some of the multiplatform games already have achievement support on Steam. An achievement counter can be added to our profiles at the top right. There can also be a section in our profiles where users can click on to see our full list of achievements. The profile can also have a section dedicated to showcasing our recently acquired achievements (like on GOG).

Friend messaging while in game* – Being able to read messages and reply while playing a game would streamline the social experience. I suppose this can be done by holding the fuji button and bringing up the ‘exit’ menu. The message can be displayed there with the option to respond. This way, the user wouldn’t have to leave the game, losing progress. Also, a notification telling the user they received a message while in-game would also be nice.

* I’m assuming this isn’t already there. I haven’t gotten any messages during gameplay.

Simplify the ‘Home’ tab (maybe) – Instead of showcasing ALL software the user has (which can be quite extensive), maybe the ‘Home’ tab can be simplified to only show nine games/apps instead (three rows with three blocks per row). These nine blocks will feature the most recently used games & apps on the user’s VCS. The rest will be in their dedicated tabs (Games & Apps). Having it the way it currently is makes the ‘Home’ tab feel redundant IMO.

Trending section in ‘Friends’ tab – Similar to the Nintendo Switch feature, the VCS can have a section in the ‘Friends’ tab that shows games/apps that are popular among the user’s friends as well as the entire VCS community as a whole. This can be a button in the 'Friends' tab the user clicks on that takes them to a new page with all trending software or a section below their friend's portraits/avatars.

• 1 month later...

I just had a random thought for a cosmetic “feature” for AtariOS. I think it would be cool if, when idle for a while, the system had a screensaver. The screensaver would be color cycling of a random 2600 game just like how the original 2600 would do to prevent tv image burn-in.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Not the most important thing, but I would like to see more avatar options available.

Here are some ideas:

hardware.thumb.png.51f9aebcd08ad6285cbfe3eddf00f037.png

hardware2.thumb.png.46161ee4d9723d7d396f74ab78344066.png

More hardware options/variations. The original 2600 model is already an option, but the all-black model would make a nice addition. Maybe some other hardware variations of the 8-bit line and Lynx.

coverarts.thumb.png.40ec8bcbac6133672041850bb432d723.png

coverarts2.thumb.png.0bd48a31d278f796459704f90ac856e4.png

coverarts3.thumb.png.966a4ee98f6b1678a9d7567aeb9cdf0f.png

More characters/objects from classic game cover arts. The wizard from Brain Games would make a nice addition. There are other characters from other games such as the elf & Centipede from the 5200 box, the pilot from the Asteroids 5200 art, the main characters from Swordquest, the Yars' Revenge art, or the vehicle from Fatal Run.

Maybe we can have the option of having one of these cover images as background art on our profiles, instead of a blurred image of our avatar.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I came up with this mockup for a new VCS home screen.

Sometime ago I posted that the home screen feels redundant as it combines what is already in the "Games" & "Apps" tabs.

This home screen I made pretty much shows everything "at a glance". The top section shows recently used software (games & apps split into their own sections). 

The lower-left section shows friends that are currently online (not all friends) and what they are currently doing on VCS. Bottom-middle section is the latest news that pertains to the VCS ecosystem (some wishful thinking there). Bottom-right are games that recently released in the VCS store (some more wishful thinking lol).

The background image should be changeable with users being offered multiple selections. I went with this background image because it has a cool retro look to it.

I left the top navigation alone as I feel it gets the job done (it's an older image prior to the March update so there's no internet icon)

Anyways, just an idea I had in my mind for several months now. Let me know what everyone thinks. I hope Atari sees this and is able to use some of the ideas here.

VCShomescreen.thumb.png.2c2d297864e5c497988ca020623ae166.png 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bugcatcher88 said:

So I came up with this mockup for a new VCS home screen.

Sometime ago I posted that the home screen feels redundant as it combines what is already in the "Games" & "Apps" tabs.

This home screen I made pretty much shows everything "at a glance". The top section shows recently used software (games & apps split into their own sections). 

The lower-left section shows friends that are currently online (not all friends) and what they are currently doing on VCS. Bottom-middle section is the latest news that pertains to the VCS ecosystem (some wishful thinking there). Bottom-right are games that recently released in the VCS store (some more wishful thinking lol).

The background image should be changeable with users being offered multiple selections. I went with this background image because it has a cool retro look to it.

I left the top navigation alone as I feel it gets the job done (it's an older image prior to the March update so there's no internet icon)

Anyways, just an idea I had in my mind for several months now. Let me know what everyone thinks. I hope Atari sees this and is able to use some of the ideas here.

VCShomescreen.thumb.png.2c2d297864e5c497988ca020623ae166.png 

I like your mock up.  It is organized and gives great information at a glance.  I might size things a little differently but the general layout is great.  Oh, and I would change the Recently Released tab to New and Hot or something like that (overuse of the word recent).  If you have not posted it yet, please post this on the VCS Discord server and tag a couple admins. 

• Like 1

The thing that bothers me the most about the look of the current Atari Store is the way the game icons look.    I get they are going for the classic 2600 game box look, but if they are going to do that, they should at least make the font bigger when possible and waste less space in the border.   Right now it looks like a cheap generic version of the 2600 game look

image.thumb.png.8c90ba2f65ed695d40417c32d453c7b5.png

Maybe something more like this:

image.png.cfae249fcd2aa30d84a1f715d8c9e28e.png

or this:

image.png.05a938f154176f8bbaf29a581ba0f728.png

Also maybe use the period correct font?  That one doesn't look quite right.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zzip said:

Also maybe use the period correct font?  That one doesn't look quite right.

I'm not getting any younger and my eyesight isn't getting any better so a larger, period correct font would be great.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:41 PM, joeatari1 said:

I like your mock up.  It is organized and gives great information at a glance.  I might size things a little differently but the general layout is great.  Oh, and I would change the Recently Released tab to New and Hot or something like that (overuse of the word recent).  If you have not posted it yet, please post this on the VCS Discord server and tag a couple admins. 

I appreciate the feedback. I didn't notice that I used "recent(tly)" three times. Maybe change "Recently Released" to "New in Store", or something like that. I'm not on Discord anymore, but hopefully an Atari rep sees this and passes the idea along to the proper people. 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, zzip said:

The thing that bothers me the most about the look of the current Atari Store is the way the game icons look.    I get they are going for the classic 2600 game box look, but if they are going to do that, they should at least make the font bigger when possible and waste less space in the border.   Right now it looks like a cheap generic version of the 2600 game look

What looks cheesy to me is that on some box covers, the name of the game is displayed twice. Tempest 4000 and Mad Age & This Guy are good examples (custom font within the art and generic font at the top). 

Instead of squeezing the art into a tiny square, why not just have the art take up the entire box.

Instead of this...

box1.png.5dac737d1304d57edfe37afbb17d5f3d.png

Maybe change it to this...

box2.png.8caa28984d3de9e30f18e15001e08e59.png

Just an idea.

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Instead of squeezing the art into a tiny square, why not just have the art take up the entire box.

I concur with your assessment of the situation.  Atari is going for a retro box art look at the expense of being able to see the damn box art.  I am cool with a border, but not as large as Atari are making it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I appreciate the feedback. I didn't notice that I used "recent(tly)" three times. Maybe change "Recently Released" to "New in Store", or something like that. I'm not on Discord anymore, but hopefully an Atari rep sees this and passes the idea along to the proper people. 

What looks cheesy to me is that on some box covers, the name of the game is displayed twice. Tempest 4000 and Mad Age & This Guy are good examples (custom font within the art and generic font at the top). 

Instead of this...

box1.png.5dac737d1304d57edfe37afbb17d5f3d.png

Maybe change it to this...

box2.png.8caa28984d3de9e30f18e15001e08e59.png

Just an idea.

That looks a lot better.   Having a mix of Atari-styled and full-size stuff like this in the store wouldn't bother me,  I mean that's what our physical collections used to look like with games from different publishers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see the game preview window become more animated then a simple bounce effect after you've selected it. Either a short looping preview of gameplay or an animated logo similar to what you would see back on the Wii main menu would be ideal.

Secondly, a nice selection of different Atari remixed songs based on which section of the menu you are in would be nice along with better menu sound effects (there must be some 2600/ST/Jaguar sounds that could be used that invoke Nostalgia). It would also be nice if it could also be muted or the music be changed for something custom in your library if you don't like the presets.

Last of all, I would love some kind of global chat/discord integration right into the console menu (think StarCraft 2 chat) to help grow the community on the device itself. Oh and a music player/visualization app would be great ?

• Like 3

The biggest thing I think it needs is controller input selection support, so you can assign the order of controllers and more easily switch controllers. Nintendo does this moderately well, and Playstation does it pretty great. Getting two controllers working can be a real pain right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1