IGNORED

VCS Controllers and USB

flickertail

1 hour ago, flickertail said:

Do the VCS controllers as work as USB wired controllers, or is the USB cable only for charging?

Yes, they are USB or Bluetooth.
When connected via USB, they can work in native mode with their special features, or switch to Xbox compatible mode.

22 hours ago, justclaws said:

Yes, they are USB or Bluetooth.
When connected via USB, they can work in native mode with their special features, or switch to Xbox compatible mode.

Thanks, I had planned on buying a VCS, but my Walmart pre-order was cancelled. So I've been debating on whether the system is worth the money. But since the joysticks function has general game controllers, I'll try them out first before I commit to the whole system. I've ordered an modern and classic controller.

1 hour ago, flickertail said:

Thanks, I had planned on buying a VCS, but my Walmart pre-order was cancelled. So I've been debating on whether the system is worth the money. But since the joysticks function has general game controllers, I'll try them out first before I commit to the whole system. I've ordered an modern and classic controller.

Ah, I see - so your question was more "VCS controllers via USB on Windows (or Linux?" perhaps.
The VCS can support 3rd-party controllers, like Xbox, PS3, and others, so that is one way to save on the cost too.

The controllers alone - if you're not using them with a VCS, you won't really experience them to their full potential.

For example, the spinner function is not supported in the Steam versions of the Atari games - like Black Widow or in
Missile Command, and the Atari Vault 1 or 2 games. For the VCS, they're setup to use the unique features they have.
e.g. only the VCS versions of games like the Atari Vault will use the spinner, and the special LED effects on the Classic.

You can use them with emulators, but you have to set them up for that. In Xbox mode, they're Xbox compatible, as I said.
That does not mean that you will see the full benefit, because the Xbox controllers do not have the VCS specific features.

2 hours ago, justclaws said:

You can use them with emulators, but you have to set them up for that. In Xbox mode, they're Xbox compatible, as I said.
That does not mean that you will see the full benefit, because the Xbox controllers do not have the VCS specific features.

Understood... my goal is to get them working with my pico project.

• Like 1