IGNORED

Deadly Disc color scheme

intvdave

33 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

As this is an SP version...  Make it an option.

Isn't the recognizer already pretty easy to kill?   I have never tried from the top of it.  But from the left or right it is pretty easy to time and line up.

I lose the top left door most of the time, but sometimes I don't even lose that one.

Again, as it is an SP version..  Make it an option!

Sounds like I have to make the game harder instead of better.

2 hours ago, intvdave said:

I was thinking of adding lives and the ability to shoot with the side buttons. Sounds like adding lives makes the game to easy. Should I do this? Is anyone interested in being able to use the side buttons to shoot in the direction you are moving in?

Have Tron, Flynn and Ram.   Each with different strengths and weaknesses.

Ram could be fast but inaccurate throwing the disc and poor recovery..  say 2 hits.

Tron could be 4 out of 5 on speed, accuracy, blocking and recovery.

Flynn a little less than Tron, but he can see ahead at what doors attackers will come from next or where the recognizer will come out?

That way you get 3 lives and some variation.

I don't think you need to make it harder.  Yes, you can rack up a lot of points breaking discs etc.  Hiding in the doorway.

But I like to play aggressive and wonder around the grid.  I like when the guards come out.  They are slow and you can slow them even more.

If you kill them... It gets a lot more interesting.  You can't just stand around waiting to block a disc...  It is some much more fun to play this way...

3 hours ago, intvdave said:

I was thinking of adding lives and the ability to shoot with the side buttons. Sounds like adding lives makes the game to easy. Should I do this? Is anyone interested in being able to use the side buttons to shoot in the direction you are moving in?

Yes please to adding lives. 99.9% of us are not a risk to set any world records. Lol. 

3 hours ago, intvdave said:

As far as side button shooting goes, would it be in 16 directions vs 8?  That could be helpful!

I need to play a few games to see how often I run and shoot in the same direction? I feel like I don't really do that.  But I really need to play to know.

4 hours ago, intvdave said:

Yes, it is 16 directions and it is implemented. Top side buttons shoot and lower buttons recall disc.

The 16 dirs is cool.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Why not make the same button recall the disc and have the bottom button block.

David can answer this better, but I am guessing a de bounce issue?

So you don't recall the disc as soon as it is thrown.

Otherwise, I would rather it be the same button also.

4 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

The 16 dirs is cool.

David can answer this better, but I am guessing a de bounce issue?

So you don't recall the disc as soon as it is thrown.

Otherwise, I would rather it be the same button also.

Spot on. It is a de-bounce issue that I am not trying to solve at this time.

On 11/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, intvdave said:

He comes out after 6 or more doors are open and you wipe out the warriors on the screen. It has nothing to do with you going through the doors. You get more points for the recognizer so this will actually help you get higher scores faster.

Seems to me he always comes out right after I travel through doors on a previous wave. Not sure how many doors I usually had opened though. 

Yes you get more points for killing the recognizer (100k) but when he starts to come out so often later in the game, he slows the game down too much. I don’t think he needs to come out any more than he already does. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

On 11/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, 1980gamer said:

As this is an SP version...  Make it an option.

Isn't the recognizer already pretty easy to kill?   I have never tried from the top of it.  But from the left or right it is pretty easy to time and line up.

I lose the top left door most of the time, but sometimes I don't even lose that one.

Again, as it is an SP version..  Make it an option!

He is fairly easy to kill from the side if you are in the right position. But when he comes out, the game slows down to a crawl. That’s all I’m saying. 

22 hours ago, intvdave said:

The number pad is pretty intuitive for this game. I would not use the side buttons, but that’s just me.  

1 hour ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Seems to me he always comes out right after I travel through doors on a previous wave. Not sure how many doors I usually had opened though. 

That is the beauty of not knowing how the game is coded. I already know you are not going to like my version of the game but then, I am not making it for people like you. For me, when someone can get 19 million points, it is a sign the game is to easy and/or not designed well.

9 hours ago, intvdave said:

Agreed. Do you know why the side button does not work the same as the keypad?

I don't know the exec but I figure controller input is in there with debouncing code.  I would think it's the same for all buttons.  There are cartridges, not many but they're there, where you wouldn't want a single side button press to register as two, so it seems to work.

6 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yes you get more points for killing the recognizer (100k) but when he starts to come out so often later in the game, he slows the game down too much. I don’t think he needs to come out any more than he already does. 

Yes, if you use the doors, the recognizer comes out after every wave of enemies.  Can't get any more frequent than that.  I always found him to be a nice break in the action and easy points, for the most part.  There is a risk of missing and losing your doors.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, intvdave said:

That is the beauty of not knowing how the game is coded. I already know you are not going to like my version of the game but then, I am not making it for people like you. For me, when someone can get 19 million points, it is a sign the game is to easy and/or not designed well.

For me, even if I can get to 15 or 16 million, I still love the game and find it challenging. It will always be one of my favorites and I don’t think it necessarily needs to be any harder. It’s awesome the way it is and it’s a known classic because it IS designed very well. Keep in mind, most players have a hard time coming anywhere close to 1 million points. That makes it plenty hard enough. Just because a couple people in the world can score upwards of 15 - 20 million, doesn’t automatically make the game too easy.

But I can see the value in creating some different difficulty options for everyone’s tastes, if you go that route. And ultimately, if I don’t like the version that you are making, then that’s OK. I know someone like me isn’t the target audience for it.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yes, if you use the doors, the recognizer comes out after every wave of enemies.  Can't get any more frequent than that.

That’s exactly what I’ve experienced with it and what I was trying to say before. I know when I use a door, the recognizer is coming right after the wave. Because of that, he already comes out frequently enough. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

5 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

For me, even if I can get to 15 or 16 million, I still love the game and find it challenging. It will always be one of my favorites and I don’t think it necessarily needs to be any harder. It’s awesome the way it is and it’s a known classic because it IS designed very well. Keep in mind, most players have a hard time coming anywhere close to 1 million points. That makes it plenty hard enough. Just because a couple people in the world can score upwards of 15 - 20 million, doesn’t automatically make the game too easy.

But I can see the value in creating some different difficulty options for everyone’s tastes, if you go that route. And ultimately, if I don’t like the version that you are making, then that’s OK. I know someone like me isn’t the target audience for it.

I absolutely love Deadly Discs.  But scoring 15-20 Million is not a skill thing, it is a patients thing.

The game does have a flaw.  I have scored Millions and just got board and quit playing.

I then changed how I play the game.  It is so much more fun to PLAY then just rack up points.  I do rack up points to get to the hard part of the game.  But then I play aggressively.

Having only 1 life hurts this style of play.

If I could add 1 element to the game.  I would make you have to recharge every so often in the center area of the grid.

Then you couldn't just stand in the door and block discs.  Again, if you have that kind of time and patience, good for you.  

I don't think I could do it.  At least not in 1 session.  Maybe pause for an hour and come back to it....Maybe.  Actually, I doubt it.  That is just not fun.

Oh, better change...  If you block all 3 discs in a given wave.. All enemies turn into guards.  >1,000,000 of course.

Another possible change:  If you are <1,000,000  and block all 3 discs in a wave.  The returned discs become RED.

A red disc have the guided power of white discs but cannot be blocked.

Because, that is so powerful, maybe only 1 red disc can be thrown at a time?

It also would need a 5 direction change limit or something like that.

Oh, it starts red but fades to white after a few direction changes.  Then other enemies can throw a red disc etc.

Anyway...  Whatever you do David, I will try it out.  I have no fear you will make the game worse. 

Some might not like some of the changes, but you bring me back to games I have gotten tired of over the past 40 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

I absolutely love Deadly Discs.  But scoring 15-20 Million is not a skill thing, it is a patients thing.

The game does have a flaw.  I have scored Millions and just got board and quit playing.

I then changed how I play the game.  It is so much more fun to PLAY then just rack up points.  I do rack up points to get to the hard part of the game.  But then I play aggressively.

Having only 1 life hurts this style of play.

If I could add 1 element to the game.  I would make you have to recharge every so often in the center area of the grid.

Then you couldn't just stand in the door and block discs.  Again, if you have that kind of time and patience, good for you.  

I don't think I could do it.  At least not in 1 session.  Maybe pause for an hour and come back to it....Maybe.  Actually, I doubt it.  That is just not fun.

Oh, better change...  If you block all 3 discs in a given wave.. All enemies turn into guards.  >1,000,000 of course.

I do not just stand in the doors and block discs in order to get to 15 million. I play aggressively just like you, so it is not a “patience” thing for me as you are guessing. It is absolutely a skill thing.  It’s much more fun to go after the enemies and kill them, and I rack up points just as much. It’s also against the rules on Twin Galaxies to stand in a door and block discs the whole time. Just watch my Twin Galaxies world record video from earlier this year:

And here is my submission on TG:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/225676

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

That’s exactly what I’ve experienced with it and what I was trying to say before. I know when I use a door, the recognizer is coming right after the wave. Because of that, he already comes out frequently enough. 

I believe this is inaccurate. I have wiped out wave after wave of enemy with no recognizer coming out. Once I have 6 or more doors open, then is when the recognizer comes out after wiping out the wave of warriors. Try it.

3 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I do not just stand in the doors and block discs in order to get to 15 million. I play aggressively just like you, so it is not a “patience” thing for me as you are guessing. It is absolutely a skill thing.  It’s much more fun to go after the enemies and kill them, and I rack up points just as much. It’s also against the rules on Twin Galaxies to stand in a door and block discs the whole time. Just watch my Twin Galaxies world record video from earlier this year:

And here is my submission on TG:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/225676

We do play similar style.  Very impressive score.

I still could never get that score.  I play to about 4 million and I am pretty done.  30-40 mins.

How did you record this?  I want to record a few things.

When the recognizer comes from the right, if you moved slightly more to the left, inch or so based on the scale of the video.  Shoot just as the recognizer stops.  You should get a first shot hit every time.

Of course, I am giving advice to the record holder ;) 

• Thanks 1