IGNORED

HSC18 Round 19: MEGAMANIA + MEGASTAR BONUS

therealbountybob

MEGAMANIA

Megamania by Activision ;) Simple side scrolling invaders game, not HSC played for a while. Plus some other dubious "Mega" games to make the round interesting - or judging by their atarimania ratings possibly a new batch to go on the HSC punishment list :-D there is one good one honest ;)

Play with guided bullets on (default setting) but players not in title contention can toggle them off if they wish using [option].

megamania.png.026d1b59dd939f5882fc86cab4b45282.png

Download the games from Fandal or atarionline.pl

Scoring: Megamania - full HSC Points others as we go.

MEGASTAR BONUS GAMES

Megablaster (Arcade Machine Jobbie)

mega_blaster_2.gif.acd7ae3e56bc30748a21c621de76ffa4.gif

MegaGun
Play on level 1 - use up on the title screen to set level, you have to be patient, then hold in start. The game begins with your fuel packs being delivered. If it moves on it's own then it's demo mode!

[edit] PRESS [RETURN] TO EXIT DEMO MODE.  [F] is freeze/pause, other key resumes game.

Tap L/R to position gun - there are three? angles for each side tap - avoid shooting your blue fuel ships, shoot grey, green ships and little men (they rob a bit of your fuel supply and are 5pts each so I guess they are fair game!) you can hit more than one enemy with a well placed single shot. Push up on title screen to set level, then hold in start until it begins, the blue ships bring your fuel pods at the start then you can go - the force field seems to auto start when bullets are dropped near you and stop you shooting but on previous go I wondered if U/D might activate it... not sure why game ends  - there is a number 5 possibly lives or a countdown timer? Poss game over when fuel pod is bombed. U/D do activate shield but also is auto so needs investigatiing.

Megagun atari screenshot

Megalegs

Possibly we played this one in the "Millipede Madness" theme round, good rating too :thumbsup: Not as good as millipede but not a bad effort with some nice graphics! Press [start] after it loads!

megalegs_3.gif.7c1f83be3b39a8916eac6a3066e7144d.gif

Megaoids

[edit] ATR spotted on atarionline.pl but atarige thread has original version on "Pete's Games" ATR plus info on Cart version. The TB version requires 64K of RAM since Turbobasic using RAM under the OS ROM.

It's a Turbo BASIC game by Peter Meyer; I remember it being an Asteroids game, probably need to fiddle around with emulator settings as I can't get it to load...

Think free version is too easy as posts below possibly Cart ver is the upgraded game if anyone has it please post?

Megamaze

BASIC bonus game!

megamaze.gif.40c620021d1f31f28d691cf1920d604a.gif

Megaswear Challenge

Let's face it you are going to all try this one!!

mega_swear_ch.gif.e8c5f255d888607d1620dbb05d651a9c.gif

If you have a friend handy then Megablaster is a head to head shooter.

megablast_2.gif.5ae90226bca9bedafa3e561fd30c1628.gif

ROUND ENDS: 

Sunday 5th December 5pm UK time - this may be extended a little.

It's a Turbo BASIC game by Peter Meyer; I remember it being an Asteroids game, probably need to fiddle around with emulator settings as I can't get it to load...

I was able to boot it inside Altirra without changing anything:  my default is 600XL/800XL, 128K RAM, NTSC, XL OS version 4.  And do note that there is no 'n' in the name, it's Megaoids, although I do seriously think Meganoids would be a better title :)

• Like 1

I love MegaMania, I'd never tried the 8 bit version before, but I just gave it a go and got 90,000 and change.  I'm surprised with the differences compared to the 5200 version.  Maybe it was just my emulator but the 5200 version seemed much smoother and the enemies were larger (I think player ship was larger too, maybe the overall resolution is simply less on the 5200).  If you've never played the 5200 version before, its fun to play them back to back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I love MegaMania, I'd never tried the 8 bit version before, but I just gave it a go and got 90,000 and change.  I'm surprised with the differences compared to the 5200 version.  Maybe it was just my emulator but the 5200 version seemed much smoother and the enemies were larger (I think player ship was larger too, maybe the overall resolution is simply less on the 5200).  If you've never played the 5200 version before, its fun to play them back to back.

Welcome sirlynxalot :thumbsup:

Same hardware as the 5200, some games were re-done with more effort graphically, luckily most of them have been ported back to the A8 so we end up with 2 decent versions e.g. Dig Dug or Qix :cool:

MegaMania - 49550 pts.

Mega Blaster - 21200 pts, level 5
MegaGun - 3805 pts (I'm not entirely sure what I did, or if the computer played the game itself)

Megalegs - 5838 pts.
Megamaze - No score
Megaoids - 114825 pts, level 8

I was unable to get Megaswear Challenge to boot. When it came to Megaoids, I gave up after level 7 and tried the tactic to play bumper cars with the asteroids to see how long my 300++ shield would last me without shooting. I almost completed level 8. Definitely not HSC material as even an average player could keep playing until the game likely crashes.

megamania-49550.thumb.jpg.2ae5f36cc857edde3c87afcbe6251f05.jpg

megablaster-21200.thumb.jpg.f5c8fc6b676d6af9322d551c2aa780f5.jpg

megalegs-5838.thumb.jpg.e16eed964f382308e1bd731c46ab0497.jpg

megaoids-114825.thumb.jpg.7679964559c2d4d83da7a9d867be9ec0.jpg

• Like 2

Megamania, long time no play, guided bullets on but players not in title contention can toggle them off if they wish (one of [select]/[option] 116,330

MegaGun 19.475 - quite fun really - play on level 1 - use up on the title screen to set level, you have to be patient, then hold in start. The game begins with your fuel packs being delivered. If it moves on it's own then it's demo mode!

Megalegs 7629? or 8729 or 6729 possibly?! Too bright for my oldy camera phone, not as good as millipede but not a bad effort with some nice graphics! Press [start] after it loads!

Megaoids still not got it to load, will copy the "Pete's Games ATR to a floppy if I get chance - also remember it being too easy - has anyone got the cart ver?

Photo3747.jpg.38fa0415b14503923f476984848f05ce.jpgPhoto3746.jpg.9111804846881ba8ff024edbfc5f71a3.jpgPhoto3750.jpg.172b661943d120088d1fe5a2a42724b7.jpg

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 2

First go.  Have to admit I was a little unsure as to what was going on with Megagun.  And wow did Mega Blaster get crazy hard all of a sudden!

MegaMania: 68620  129260

Megagun: 4815

Mega Blaster: 29500

Megalegs: 4675

Megaoids:  30750

Megoids is not good.  When you shoot an asteroid the game freezes for a moment.  And you never seem to be in mortal peril.  I stopped at 30750 just because I figured I'd rather be playing MegaMania.  Also, if you look at my screenshot it looks like my ship is pointing up to the left when it was actually pointing down left.

I enjoyed Megalegs - thought it was a good Centipede clone.

Mega Blaster 29500.jpg

Megagun 4815.jpg

Megamania 68620.jpg

Megalegs 4675.jpg

MegaMania 129260.jpg

Megoids 30750.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 3

Slight improvement:  138060

I seem to have two different versions of the game.  The one I just played (which is on an AtariMax cart I created years ago) has sounds that weren't on the one I grabbed when we started this round.  This one sounds richer when you're getting the bonus points at the end of a round, and there's a sound when you earn an extra ship.  Is one a 5200 port or something?

MegaMania 138060.jpg

• Like 3