IGNORED

Anyone using the Kung Fu Cartridge on a NTSC C64?

RangerG

I want to buy a few items from thefuturewas8bit and I'd like to add the Kung Fu cartridge. I love the label and build quality from TFW8, but I know NTSC mode on the Kung Fu cart is still experimental. However, the NTSC version seems to be updated and there has to be some user reviews - anyone? Thanks for the help.

Take care,
RG

Hello, I have been using a Kung Fu Flash with NTSC firmware on my NTSC breadbin for about 6 months now.   Haven't updated the firmware since I got it, lols, probably should!  Anyway, I love it!  I don't have anything to compare it to, but my experience with Kung Fu has been great!  I keep it plugged in and running Action Reply most of the time, also works great as Epyx Fast Load.  I LOVE finding easyflash copies of games that I can run from Kung Fu rather than multiple floppies on my pi1541.   I highly recommend!

• Thanks 1

Just got mine and still can't answer your query but just updating to say it is amazing! Games load so quick, love the reset and menu buttons, spent ages on Buggy Boy yesterday. The only thing doing my head in is how half the games use one joystick port for player1 and others use the other, I need a 2nd joystick/pad! (C64 issue nothing to do with the cart)

I just received my Ntsc cart and upgraded to latest firmware 1.30 ...  I've noticed a few issues.  It's not compatible with my c64c... No biggie.  I hooked up a breadbin c64 and I noticed game saves do not work the ones I tried.. The new bagman release by Luca Carmonati and Neptune lander elite ... Also a few disk game don't load all the way up before crashing... I understand games with 2 disks are a problem but I cannot get to that point with disk 1 of below the root or with the Ultima 4 remastered.  The cart games seem fine...  I was wondering if I am an isolated case or if these are sort of known issues with the experimental ntsc disk version.

With the exception of some custom chips upgraded: 8580 instead of 6581, newer VIC-II revision, better PLA and possibly a different Kernel ROM regarding default text colours, what can be the difference between a breadbin C64 and a C64C with the newer, short motherboard? It sounds quite strange if a newly developed cartridge won't work on all models, unless of course your C64C has some fault that prevents other advanced cartridges from running.

Thank you guys for your comments and suggestions!  I think cleaning the pads is always a good suggestion, can't hurt.  I went to try that however the cart port on the C64 is female, duh, and I am not sure how to clean in between those contacts?  Any ideas?  I did however clean the contacts on the Kung Fu cartridge itself and it was actually quite dirty, much more than I expected.  I assume probably from the old dirty C64 breadbins I tried. out.   I don't discount the possibility that there could be some issue with my C64c, but it works with all my other cartridges, including the 1541 Ultimate 2+.  Unfortunately, I don't have another C64c to test the Kung Fu cart with.

I recorded a quick video to demonstrate some of the issues I was having with the NTSC Kung Fu Cartridge:

Yeah I've heard that as well and I already knew you cannot as of yet, switch disks.  Also the NTSC version, I believe I read is experimental...(looking it up...)  I don't expect perfection and I am happy with the cartridge, especially knowing they are continuously working on firmware improvements.  Initially this cartridge was PAL only and was updated to support NTSC.  

This excerpt may explain many of the issues I was demonstrating...

KimJorgensen/KungFuFlash: Cartridge for the Commodore 64 that packs a punch (github.com) 

Limitations

Kung Fu Flash is a so called Software Defined Cartridge where a fast microcontroller emulates cartridge hardware in software. This makes it extremely flexible, allowing different cartridge types to be supported at a relative low cost.

However, it can be challenging to get the C64 bus timing correct in software and in some places the timing is very close to the limit. Even though Kung Fu Flash has been tested on different models of the Commodore 64, there is a chance that it doesn't work correctly on your specific model. Use it at your own risk!

Kung Fu Flash will work with the PAL version of the Commodore 64 or Commodore 128. Support for the NTSC version is still considered experimental.

Disk drive emulation is using kernal vectors and will not work with fast loaders or software that uses direct hardware access which a lot of games does. Currently REL files are not supported and there is only limited write support.

I've found .crt files work fine, not really tried many others as the C64(c) is new to me (+4 when growing up sigh, then Amiga), big pack if you go on youtube and search for "oneload64 v2", link in description, the .crt files in the root of this archive