IGNORED

Atari 2600 Stress Testing

Gip-Gip

Hey all! Long time no see!

I'm doing atari repairs on the side of my current job/future college and I want a stress test cart for making sure they all work as intended

So far I have some ram test code laid out, along with some TIA test code in mind, and I'm wondering what ideas you guys have for testing the 2600 to make sure it's in 100% working order

I'll have the source code up when I have it in a good state, per usual, and I'll try my best to keep it semi well-documented. Granted, it's hard to make good looking assembler, but I will at least try my hardest to make it half readable

Plus, it's been a solid year or two since I've worked with assembler, so forgive me if it isn't the best code you've ever seen

Currently my list of tests include:

• RAM test, write both $FF and $00 to each byte in ram
  • TIA test, set background color to each possible tia color in a rainbow fashion
  • Sound test, cycle through sounds per frame

Please give me other stress ideas, what other common failure points there are, etc. etc.

10 hours ago, Gip-Gip said:

Hey all! Long time no see!

I'm doing atari repairs on the side of my current job/future college and I want a stress test cart for making sure they all work as intended

So far I have some ram test code laid out, along with some TIA test code in mind, and I'm wondering what ideas you guys have for testing the 2600 to make sure it's in 100% working order

I'll have the source code up when I have it in a good state, per usual, and I'll try my best to keep it semi well-documented. Granted, it's hard to make good looking assembler, but I will at least try my hardest to make it half readable

Plus, it's been a solid year or two since I've worked with assembler, so forgive me if it isn't the best code you've ever seen

Currently my list of tests include:

• RAM test, write both $FF and $00 to each byte in ram
  • TIA test, set background color to each possible tia color in a rainbow fashion
  • Sound test, cycle through sounds per frame

Please give me other stress ideas, what other common failure points there are, etc. etc.

There's the Atari Diagnostic Test Cartridge which came with a Field Service Manual. That would be good for you to get your hands on. Example page below.

image.thumb.png.eee10f5e672f8b7eef38a42bec6bd09d.png

Just six basic tests so it would be nice to have something more comprehensive I think.