IGNORED

AMP/MOE and the like

rickcollette

Was there ever source to AMP or MOE released?
Failing that: Is there a full memory location map for either of those available?

I have read the module programmers guides, but they do not cover all the locations.

I would like to break down exactly what these do - I have an idea, but a second(+++) opinion or empirical knowledge would be awesome.

thanks!

Yeah - theres memory you can peek/poke to read and write data - user information, time left, like pretty much anything in the user tables.. the modem routines are core to it.. but its all the other stuff.. so they did some pretty neat stuff there.  redirect stdio to and from R: , no need for drop files - i guess that would be a way to do it.. but not having to write modem routines into every module would be very cool.

• 1 year later...

I modified Carina 2.x to store the single integer in MOE memory to facilitate loading multiple sysop menus (0-9) on my 'BBS on a Stick' version.  I found an unused location and stored it there.  I cannot remember the exact location as this was almost 15 years ago and I cannot remember shit anymore.  But I was able to determine that the location was not used based on MOE documentation that came with Carina.

BTW, I believe MOE memory was in Page 6 somewhere...

• 1 month later...

So I found the MOE source, but like always, the questions are: What is the state of MOE? Who  currently owns it? Has anyone gotten an OK to modify and redistribute?
It looks really straight forward MAC/65 code. 

Questions not related to legal/licenses:

- I am wondering why modules/gateway makes use of K:, E:, and R: directly, instead of using MOE

- the modules written 30+ years ago in BASIC might be good targets to refactor since we have new ways of doing this, methods, and new BASIC languages that might be more efficient
 - does anyone but me really care to have a "new" bbs application for atari?

(FYI: Im on and off - I have moved, had some health issues - all fixed, but really interrupted my hobbies, life, etc.  Looks like im a flake, maybe I am.. flakes never think they are flakes ;) )

On 9/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, rickcollette said:

(FYI: Im on and off - I have moved, had some health issues - all fixed, but really interrupted my hobbies, life, etc.  Looks like im a flake, maybe I am.. flakes never think they are flakes ;) )

Actually we were at VCF Midwest this weekend and we were actually talking about you and wondering how you were... Glad to see you're ok.  No worries about life intruding... it happens.  Just glad that you're back!  Try to make the next BBS Community chat if you can this Friday (Sep 15th)... I'll make sure to send you the link in PM.  We'll probably be having a VCF recap!

On 9/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, rickcollette said:

So I found the MOE source, but like always, the questions are: What is the state of MOE? Who  currently owns it? Has anyone gotten an OK to modify and redistribute?
It looks really straight forward MAC/65 code. 

Questions not related to legal/licenses:

- I am wondering why modules/gateway makes use of K:, E:, and R: directly, instead of using MOE

- the modules written 30+ years ago in BASIC might be good targets to refactor since we have new ways of doing this, methods, and new BASIC languages that might be more efficient
 - does anyone but me really care to have a "new" bbs application for atari?

I know that "The Shadow" gave me permission to run Carina II (2.7) personally when I asked him via email (and the understanding I took away from that was that anyone would be able to do so with his blessing).  Nothing was said about modifying or redistributing.  I've heard (if I remember correctly) some talk about him wanting to do a Carina III someday, but I can't remember where.

As far as the other questions...  AMIS at Southern AMIS has been working on a new from the ground up BBS application that he's writing for FujiNet.  Might want to stop by his BBS as that seems to be where the dev updates are.  My personal opinion is that we need more users before we get more BBSs, but doing refactors/updates for the current Carina might be valuable for the existing BBS's.  Especially creating a new "baseline" target for modification.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:44 PM, Tillek said:

Actually we were at VCF Midwest this weekend and we were actually talking about you and wondering how you were... Glad to see you're ok.  No worries about life intruding... it happens.  Just glad that you're back!  Try to make the next BBS Community chat if you can this Friday (Sep 15th)... I'll make sure to send you the link in PM.  We'll probably be having a VCF recap!

Argh! I didn’t see this til now. 

• 4 weeks later...