IGNORED

Lynx High Score Club 2021 Mini Season: Round 9 - T-Tris

Rick Dangerous

On 11/29/2021 at 9:44 PM, neogeo1982 said:

@Songbird Carl you playing with us again?

I will try to make some time! Everyone knows you get more points by dropping the blocks faster, right?

16 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Was this the first Lynx homebrew game? Or Harry Dodgson’s Othello?

This was the first. Still pretty amazing that they were able to figure out how to work around the RSA encryption using a bootloader technique.

I started hacking Lynx code, umm, [quickly checks archive] back in June 1996! So I was late to the party. :D

• Like 4

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Level 1 might be a liiiiittle bit slow to start on in the future ?

It's the only way to prevent someone from starting there anyway and point farming so it has to be done, plus whats the rush? :) 

EDIT: They did! I find the Lynx’s reputation as a battery killer to be a little overstated.

Agree 100%.  I have played the Lynx, Gameboy, and Gamegear extensively, and the Lynx (Especially Lynx II) is not particularly battery thirsty.   It easily gets another 1-2 hours more than the Gamegear on the same 6 double A's. 

10 hours ago, nightmonkeyii said:

Closing in…

836F11AB-D469-429F-B3A0-908671BE9952.jpeg

@nightmonkeyii  Make sure to add your score text to your post please, i could barely make out the 11,708 in this photo.  Cheers'

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

So does anybody have insight into how best to play when it gets faster? I have noticed a few things that seem like bugs:

1. Rotating a symmetrical piece near the screen edge or a wall of blocks will work in one rotation but not the other. For a T block for example it will rotate at the screen edge if it was facing up but not if it was facing down (example from memory, that one may not be right).

2. Moving and rotating at the same time causes neither one to happen. This sometimes happens at the slower settings but at level 8+ it’s really disruptive. I suspect it’s something to do with the way the inputs are polled, but plenty of homebrew allows you to move and press buttons at the same time, so it should be fixable.

3. Pieces (sometimes but not all the time) become immediately glued when they touch the next block, even after a millisecond, even if you didn’t drop them. This is how I usually die. Sometimes when you fast drop a piece you can still move it when it hits bottom.

I don’t know if the source code is still available, and I suppose 42bs might not be interested, but while I’m glad the original is still available for historical reasons, it could really use a redux version that fixes these bug-like foibles, adds music, eliminates or replaces the “boing” on dropped pieces (forget the Lynx, my wife is going to throw ME through a window if I play much more of it with sound on), and eliminates the drop button in favor of rotating the other direction. Of course, adding in starting garbage etc would be fun too.

It’s a great looking port, and it’s a very impressive achievement as the first released homebrew, but the rough spots start to get really tough to deal with especially playing repeatedly for a high score challenge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

start to get really tough to deal with especially playing repeatedly for a high score challenge

I don't think the wall of words properly conveys the anger and frustration this game causes though I agree with all your points you make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s fun to me in short bursts (I enjoy all of the Star Trek and Windows sound effects) but playing over and over for score is where it gets frustrating. I am wondering if anybody has discovered effective techniques for dealing with it. I cannot even begin to get back to my initial score, much less improve it. I am lucky to score 7000.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

It’s fun to me in short bursts (I enjoy all of the Star Trek and Windows sound effects) but playing over and over for score is where it gets frustrating. I am wondering if anybody has discovered effective techniques for dealing with it. I cannot even begin to get back to my initial score, much less improve it. I am lucky to score 7000.

I find that you score more points by placing the piece via quick-drop as soon as it appears, as well as getting as many tetris’ (4 rows) as possible. Having said that, a tetris is only a measly 250 points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nightmonkeyii said:

I find that you score more points by placing the piece via quick-drop as soon as it appears, as well as getting as many tetris’ (4 rows) as possible. Having said that, a tetris is only a measly 250 points.

Yeah, I quick drop almost everything. Maybe I would do better if I went for tetrises less.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 9:54 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

@jeremiahjt I think the rom is pretty easy to find and this game has not been updated; you should take a look and get in on it! 

Honest/ignorant question (please don’t jump on me for this!) - are there two versions or something? One that I could download free (incomplete?) and play for this comp and one that is commercially available/more complete?  It looks like there’s a Tetris from 1996 online which I assume isn’t the songbird one? But none of the Roms I can find of that actually work so I can’t check… Or are they the same?

Ill sit out this round if I’m affecting an active developer by downloading a ROM (can’t afford to buy the songbird one just for this round )… but if there’s an old beta ROM suitable for this round then I’d be happy to play this round if someone has a version that works on a BennVenn?

Yeah i think i'm about done.  This a decent version of Tetris for Lynx, can't complain really.  Not perfect but certainly very playable. 

I just realized the cart saves your high score; which is really cool and all too rare among lynx carts. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 10.11.07 AM.png

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

Great round guys!  Onward!

Congrats to @neogeo1982 for winning the round!

@roadrunner if you wouldn't mind adding a new record for T-Tris to the HSC records.  Thank you!

Next round, will @doctorclu stay on top of the Battlezone HSC records?!

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3