IGNORED

What were the available case variants for the VCS?

sirlynxalot

I see the woodgrain one a lot, and I think there's a "vader" version that is just a black front where the woodgrain would be.

At one point I thought I saw one that had yellow or yellow dots where the woodgrain would go. But I'm having trouble finding that picture again.  Were there other variants besides the woodgrain and the black?

• Like 1

There are two woodgrain variants, the Collectors Edition and the Black Walnut.  The CE has a lighter wood, like maple or something.  I like the look of both, the CE matching the light maple "built ins" in my family room and the Black Walnut complimenting the darker wood in my living room (soon to be movie theater ?).  There is also the Onyx which is all black, looks like the old 2600 "Vader".

There was a variant that was going to be sold via Wal*Mart that had a black and yellow carbon fiber faceplate but that never materialized.  It was going to be called the "Carbon Gold".  I think the deal with Wal*Mart fell through and thus the Carbon Gold variant got canned.  It's a shame as I really liked the look of that one and would have bought one of them too.

Atari have shown photos of other face plate designs as well.  I remember a photo where there was one in pink and one in dark pearl blue.  There is also one VCS out there that has the Unsung Warriors game logo on it.  It was the top tier perk for backing their Kickstarter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Any plans for Atari to sell faceplates so you can switch them out?

There were questions about that about a year or so ago and Atari said "We'll see".  They later decided not to offer them independently of the VCS.

22 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I see the woodgrain one a lot, and I think there's a "vader" version that is just a black front where the woodgrain would be.

At one point I thought I saw one that had yellow or yellow dots where the woodgrain would go. But I'm having trouble finding that picture again.  Were there other variants besides the woodgrain and the black?

The 1st, the Collectors edition was teak wood, unavailable now.
The 2nd, the Onyx is the black one, with a red back, AKA "Kylo Ren".
The 3rd, the black walnut, is the darker wood, currently also available.

I'd certainly be interested in alternative faceplates, like the Black Walnut.

For people who've bought the Onyx, customisation may be possible, but
for sure, the way the Atari Light is laser-cut(?) through the wood is special,
and not easy to recreate at home, but no doubt we'll see some in future!

• Like 1