IGNORED

Analogue Mega Sg/Super Nt longevity

Densetsu33

Question

I have been trying to get an answer from Analogue concerning flash memory in their consoles. What happens when that flash chip kicks the bucket 9-10 years from now. Will these systems be inoperable at that point. Trying to get an answer from Analogue has been very frustrating. I would not care so much if I didn't buy backups of these consoles. Any ideas?

2 answers to this question

I was under the impression it was more like RAM than flashable storage. I’m not an engineer though and I wouldn’t presume to guess about longevity. 

What kind of answer are you expecting from the company, beyond “we offer a 1 year warranty on our devices?” They haven’t existed for 10 years, so it seems unfair to hold them to a standard at this point in time. 

• Like 3

It is important for future preservationists to understand that Flash Memory has a finite lifespan. Today's chips may only have a life of 10-20 years and 600 writes per cell. Some TLC and QLC SSDs (their flash chips) will lose data if left sitting for 1-2 years without power to activate the internal refresh routines.

Flash chips are consumable items and that is why all SSDs come with utilities that tell you the number of writes the part experiences.

Flash chips for BIOS have an easier time because they are updated infrequently and can be low-density with bigger cells that hold a charge longer.

If you're concerned about any Flash Memory in an analogue console. Get one. Open it up and research the datasheets for whatever chip in question.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, Densetsu33 said:

I have been trying to get an answer from Analogue concerning flash memory in their consoles. What happens when that flash chip kicks the bucket 9-10 years from now. Will these systems be inoperable at that point.

It would die. Sure.

Trying to get an answer from Analogue has been very frustrating.

Likely generic customer service reps that only read from scripts.

I would not care so much if I didn't buy backups of these consoles. Any ideas?

Ideas about what?

• Like 1