IGNORED

80 column Atari 8's?

18 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

which 8-bit Atari's have 80-column modes?

None.

You could add 80-column mode thru extensions, for example VBXE or XEP-80.

None of them are supported by the cc65 runtime library.

Edited by sanny
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 3:22 AM, Stephen said:

"80 columns" is under the hidden feature set that enables "extra memory", "fast de-compression", or the all elusive "template creator".  If you are abandoning it, I guess we shall now lose all hope.

What is ‘template creator’? Seems to be the one feature from these missing on the Éclaire!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Template Creator is not actually a joke but might as well be one, as it fared very poorly in the community.  :(  It is a utility to create new files from old files with a click of the mouse.

I still don't understand the point.  Copy & paste?

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Template Creator is not actually a joke but might as well be one, as it fared very poorly in the community.  :(  It is a utility to create new files from old files with a click of the mouse.

The joke was Stephen's posting. 

I haven't tried your tool, therefore I should not make bad comments about it. 

• Sad 1

My guess is that it was written (or last updated) when Windows 7 was replacing Vista.
The code probably looks for evidence of Windows 7 and anything else counts as Vista.
Windows 10 is not Windows 7, so it counts as Vista.

Developers used the same cheap scheme when Windows 3 replaced Windows 2.
So when Windows 95 came along we got programs warning us that they wouldn't work on our Windows 2 PC - even though we were running Windows 95.

Some things never change - sigh.

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, stepho said:

My guess is that it was written (or last updated) when Windows 7 was replacing Vista.
The code probably looks for evidence of Windows 7 and anything else counts as Vista.
Windows 10 is not Windows 7, so it counts as Vista.

Developers used the same cheap scheme when Windows 3 replaced Windows 2.
So when Windows 95 came along we got programs warning us that they wouldn't work on our Windows 2 PC - even though we were running Windows 95.

Some things never change - sigh.

(random necro post) This is literally why we went from Windows 8.x to Windows 10.  Because Microsoft, in their finite wisdom, had a bunch of stuff where you could code your software to detect windows 9x.  So Windows 9 would have still been detected as 95 or 98.  Quite amusing, if I do say so myself.

2 hours ago, leech said:

(random necro post) This is literally why we went from Windows 8.x to Windows 10.  Because Microsoft, in their finite wisdom, had a bunch of stuff where you could code your software to detect windows 9x.  So Windows 9 would have still been detected as 95 or 98.  Quite amusing, if I do say so myself.

This is a myth. The versioning APIs in Windows don't return a version string like "Windows 95", they return a version number. This number was 4.0 for Windows 95, not 9.0. The only piece of code that anyone has actually pointed to with the problem you describe is Java code interpreting an OS version string produced by the JVM itself and not Windows. None of the APIs that Microsoft has shimmed for specific applications to fix versioning issues return a version string of the pertinent form.

But even if that were an issue, there was already a strategy in place to solve it. All versions of Windows past Windows 8 lie about their version number in APIs and report themselves as Windows 8 (6.2) unless you specifically mark the program as compatible in the executable manifest. Windows 8.1 (6.3) had a specific compatibility mark for this, and Windows 10 required a separate one.  So even if there were an issue as you describe, it wouldn't have affected older applications as they would have continued to read Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 as the OS version. Rebranding the product to fix a technical issue wouldn't have made sense, especially since Windows 10 shipped with the version-lie mechanism anyway.

Sadly, this rumor has spread so far that it has become self-sustaining, and for some reason people are apt to believe it rather than the simpler explanation that it was a branding issue.

• Like 1