IGNORED

Pac n Pal

Cris1997XX

I've been playing Pac n Pal on MAME lately, and I wondered why there were no home ports -Even to those obscure Japanese computers, considering Namco's track record back in the day-. Is there any interest in bringing it to the Atari 7800? The game is apparently based on Super Pac Man, so it's probably possible to reuse some code from the fan-made A7800 port (Which I sadly don't own). I have a gut feeling one of the 320x240 modes would be required to keep the look of the original arcade game, but I can't say for sure

1 hour ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Pac & Pal sucks. So, a 7800 port probably won't be a thing anytime soon.

It's not really my cup of tea either, but given that the 7800 has the distinction of having been the first system to have Baby Pac-Man ported to it, there is a precedent there for adding the less-well-known Pac-Man games.  If it does happen, I'm putting in a vote for having it be switchable between Pac & Pal and Pac-Man and Chomp-Chomp.

That said, there is also the one that nobody wants to touch - Professor Pac-Man.  It's also kinda crappy (and I'm being kind when I say that), but given the incredibly low production run and lack of home ports, it is a valid target for 7800isation.

I am not going to be the one to tackle that :P

• Like 2

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

It's not really my cup of tea either, but given that the 7800 has the distinction of having been the first system to have Baby Pac-Man ported to it, there is a precedent there for adding the less-well-known Pac-Man games.  If it does happen, I'm putting in a vote for having it be switchable between Pac & Pal and Pac-Man and Chomp-Chomp.

That said, there is also the one that nobody wants to touch - Professor Pac-Man.  It's also kinda crappy (and I'm being kind when I say that), but given the incredibly low production run and lack of home ports, it is a valid target for 7800isation.

I am not going to be the one to tackle that :P

Oh god, Professor Pac-Man is truly shite. It managed to hurt my ears and eyes when I played it some time ago. It doesn't even give you a dopamine rush like other Pac-Man games

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Oh god, Professor Pac-Man is truly shite. It managed to hurt my ears and eyes when I played it some time ago. It doesn't even give you a dopamine rush like other Pac-Man games

Professor Pac-Man is one of those games where I had both the fortune and misfortune to have played it when it was released.  Fortunate because it was so rare to find in the wild, but misfortunate because, well, the game is crap.

If I'm not mistaken, it was the final use of Bally's Astrocade hardware in arcade games.  Shame to have gone out on that note when Gorf and Wizard of Wor (which shared essentially the same hardware) were decent games.

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Professor Pac-Man is one of those games where I had both the fortune and misfortune to have played it when it was released.  Fortunate because it was so rare to find in the wild, but misfortunate because, well, the game is crap.

If I'm not mistaken, it was the final use of Bally's Astrocade hardware in arcade games.  Shame to have gone out on that note when Gorf and Wizard of Wor (which shared essentially the same hardware) were decent games.

Yeah, the Bally Astrocade was ahead for its time. But it had a tough life cycle as a whole

• 3 weeks later...

I would actually love to see a Pac n Pal port to the Atari 7800. It looks close enough to Super Pac-Man that it would be viable.

I first encountered it on Namco Museum Megamix for the Wii. I ended up playing it quite a bit. While it may not have quite the sense of accomplishment that clearing a maze full of dots has, it's still fun to try to keep Miru from carrying off your goodies so you can get more points and to try to stun a lot of ghosts with a single powerup.  It's a nice diversion from the more "traditional" Pac-Man games.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/11/2023 at 12:21 PM, killersquirel said:

The first time I played Pac and Pal I didn't like it.  I have actually grown to really enjoy the game.  I also really like Professor Pac Man, so there's always that. 

Agreed.  Neither one is a particularly brilliant game, but they are playable and fun in their own ways.

Having said that, it's likely a moot point given recent events surrounding games based on third-party IP.

I rather like Pac & Pal. It's kind of a quirky little Pac-Man game that's not really like the others; but I find it fun for a video-game-playing diversion. I like the beam (or smokescreen on the levels that use the Rally-X cars) that can be fired to temporarily disable the ghosts, I like the graphics -- with the cards and so forth, and I find the music relaxing too. I do agree, I find Pal's activities more annoying than anything else; but I also find it an extra challenge to keep him from messing with things; and you can always grab them back away from him, if you do it in time. I'd love to see a version on the 7800 or 8-bit/5200 machines.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 12:33 AM, Silver Back said:

I'm sure ports will still be made, they'll just have to be shared or purchased as roms and played on flash carts.  Original games will be the only physical releases it seems.  Or games that are licensed...

I damn hope they will, because that was the main reason I even got into emulating old Atari consoles. It was fun to see the A2600, 5200 and 7800 getting new ports of old games previously exclusive to arcade or Nintendo platforms