IGNORED

Two questions (downloading to USB and default controller)

eightbit

As I am using the VCS more I did have two questions maybe somebody more in the know can answer. Probably stupid questions but here goes:

I read that one of the recent firmware updates allowed games to be downloaded to external media. Does this not include flash drives? The reason I ask is because I plugged in a 64GB USB 3.0 drive the other night and formatted it on the VCS. Works fine and is seen as storage. I was able to move all of my games to it as well and clear off the internal storage....and everything works fine which is great.

But then I purchased a game to see how it would handle the download (Guntech) but when the download option came up only the internal storage was a selectable location. I downloaded it to internal and when done moved it to the USB and that works fine of course, but why did it not give me the option to choose the USB?

The other question I have is regarding the controllers. I synced the modern controller first as I usually do and went in the VCS Vault with the intention of trying Tempest with the Classic Controller (which I synced afterward). But the game seemed to only allow me to use the modern controller. Do I have to sync the classic controller first in order to use it or is there a was to "swap" controllers when they are both synced up to choose the primary?

Again, probably stupid questions but I know there are others here that will be able to answer them ;)

Yes, you can download to the USB device. The interface isn't very intuitive.
Only the default internal device is listed on-screen, but it's actually a choice!
You have to press <A>, and then can choose internal or USB device to use.
(At least for me!) There is no way at this time to change a different default.

Yes, on the controllers, this is a real irritation to me, because it also causes
issues for the :Recharged games, which do not offer selecting which controller
to use. The first controller to be active is always used for control in the Atari
:Recharged games, at this time. This can make it seem the 2nd isn't working.

I have sent detailed description of the problem, and a suggestion for solutions,
and I understand that controller handling improvements is on the VCS roadmap,
(and changes for the :Recharged games will be coming in an update to fix them).

In each AtariOS there are a lot of subtle improvements, (Nintendo would call them
"improvements to performance and stability", but not so many to the user-interface.
I'm sure they're working on improving these things, from the replies I got on Discord.

• Like 2

In relation to the topic of controller compatibility, I found I was unable to pair my Xbox Series X controller (only Xbox One controller worked) with the VCS. Not a big deal obviously, but I let Atari customer service know via a support ticket and they mentioned that they will send that request to the engineers for their review. Speaking of the Classic Joystick I also requested a feature awhile ago for the Classic Joystick to be compatible as a mouse in the upcoming Rollercoaster Tycoon port. I'm highly looking forward to the future of the VCS. I liked the interface improvement thread on here which is an excellent way to encourage the improvement of the Atari OS and its features. The customer service team for Atari has been excellent as of late in my opinion. The best things may come to us if we wait while suggesting subtle improvements!

• Like 1