IGNORED

7800 Composite mod without disabling the RF output

Andtard

So I want to do the composite mod on the 7800, but I'd also like to keep the RF output and modulator together and working if possible. I've looked up guides of the mod but pretty much all of them say to reroute the pins to the modulator to a 3rd party amplifier and then solder the rca jacks. This methods breaks contact to the modulator and many guides just say to remove it entirely. Why? Does the modulator and the AV outputs together mess up the display and audio? If so why?

Wondering if there a way to keep both operational. Ideally this would be like on a Nintendo were both can be used at the same time. If this is impossible then perhaps something more like the 5200 switch box, or even a manual switch. Furthermore I'd like to keep the ability to use the Pokey sound chip thru the mono sound RCA jack. Stereo sound isn't a big deal (after all the Atari 7800 games weren't really meant of it and my crt cant take it.)       

Thanks

And if there is a forum that has already answered this please link it 

49 minutes ago, Mitch said:

The UAV mod can do that if you install it correctly. I know Crossbow has some videos on that.

Mitch

Do you have a link to the video?

Edit: Never mind I found it Thanks for the help 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/266065-uav-ultimate-atari-video-atari-7800/

Edited by Andtard

3 hours ago, Andtard said:

So I want to do the composite mod on the 7800, but I'd also like to keep the RF output and modulator together and working if possible. I've looked up guides of the mod but pretty much all of them say to reroute the pins to the modulator to a 3rd party amplifier and then solder the rca jacks. This methods breaks contact to the modulator and many guides just say to remove it entirely. Why? Does the modulator and the AV outputs together mess up the display and audio? If so why?

Wondering if there a way to keep both operational. Ideally this would be like on a Nintendo were both can be used at the same time. If this is impossible then perhaps something more like the 5200 switch box, or even a manual switch. Furthermore I'd like to keep the ability to use the Pokey sound chip thru the mono sound RCA jack. Stereo sound isn't a big deal (after all the Atari 7800 games weren't really meant of it and my crt cant take it.)       

Thanks

And if there is a forum that has already answered this please link it 

As Mitch mentioned already, the UAV allows you to wire up composite and s-video outputs and doesn't require ANYTHING to be removed as it is a replacement video encoder. The reason the other common composite kits require you to remove the RF modulator components is due to noise and issues that leaving the RF circuit in place will cause on the composite kits.

The UAV is not affected by this. The only part where you have to make a change is do what I do in the video on the audio. You need to get another set of resistors and a 10µf capacitor so that you can wire up the audio without affecting the audio to the RF. If you don't care about the audio to the RF then you can follow what the actual install guide (Linked in the video description) has you do and then you can get your audio off the RCAs you installed and still have video through RF if you want.

In fact, with the UAV you can have every output connected at once if you really wanted and display games on 3 separate displays at once. (Handy for conventions...)

47 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Why not go all in and do S-Video?

I agree with this, but many don't have the ability to use s-video without something like a Tink2x or similar device. As a result they end up only needing and using the composite output. From the few examples I've had cross my path, the UAV's composite still seems to provide the best results for composite on the 7800.

The ones that come to me that I add UAVs into, I pretty much insist on having them let me add in the s-video because it is already there. And I've had two in the past where I didn't because they didn't want it, and then a year or so later, they get a Tink2x device or something that allows them to use s-video and end up sending it back to have that output added. Again, I believe most people don't have easy access to s-video output.