IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 5 ~ Road Runner

Vocelli

First attempt is a cool 24,000

20211207_174405.thumb.jpg.3c06d637ac8bb4b5b0b0656fba6e2d16.jpg

I'm kind of bummed I never gave this one a chance back in the day. I've played the hell out of the NES version but always assumed (incorrectly) this port was kinda weak... Its damn good, this is the first time I've played it more than a few seconds (and I'm sure my score shows that ?

• Like 3

Road Runner: 99200

Real Sports Boxing: Round 2 Knockout

I probably won't play Boxing much more, unless I try under emulation since a computer keyboard will be easier on my thumb than a joystick.

For Road Runner, it seems that most of your scoring potential (at least through the first three levels) is on level 1 by getting the coyote run over by trucks. 

I've found that the truck only drives on the middle lane and the bottom lane, so unless I have bird seed elsewhere, I'm traveling between these two lanes (second from the bottom) most of the time.

For the level 3 board, I have found it's best to not go too fast and try to prevent the coyote from going off the right edge of the screen.  If you keep him on the screen, he won't show up on rocket skates.  I have been avoiding the steel shot because I don't like being chased with the magnet, although I may want to rethink this since the rockets are worth 500 points each.

I'm currently stuck figuring out the timing of the forth level, in particular, avoiding fire from the cannons.  I'm not sure I'll have the time or interest in pushing through level 4 and beyond this week.

image.thumb.png.d0061c013aaa26c7d87f39a9964d67a2.png

image.thumb.png.c2b90ec95f8417cd9c96ac15d2bb8737.png

• Like 4

Slight improvement but I am just totally stuck on Level 6. I can often make it to Level 6 without dying, aside from an occasional random bad timing death from the cannons on Level 4, but I can't seem to figure out the timing for predicting when the boulders are going to fall (and thus keeping them from falling on your head) in Level 6. =P

Road Runner (Game 1, B/B Difficulty): 139,700

IMG_20211209_171918.thumb.jpg.9cdc1d6130d8c03d867327c6a61e5293.jpg

• Like 5

Got an improvement on this. Have worked out what I need to do to get through level four . . . . .but actually doing it is another matter !.

As an aside, in one sense it's quite thought provoking that we're playing this the week after doing Asteroids. When Asteroids was converted near the beginning of the 80s, it was one of the top arcade games, being released for top dog machine in the gaming world. By the time Road Runner was released at the end of the same decade, the 2600 was hanging on as a bargain basement machine, and playing the two back to back is (for me at least) an interesting statement on how the world had moved on.

To be fair though, this is a really neat game imho. It showed that there was still a bit of life in the system even at this late stage, and was probably way beyond what the people designing the first 2600 games back in 1977 would ever have thought possible on the system 

Roadrunr_2.thumb.png.c75ffe68844d81dd2e968b8618fd5e64.png

• Like 7