IGNORED

Ghosts 'n Goblins and Night Knight new games

Philsan

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Thanks again @ZeroPage Homebrew James and Tanya for having me yesterday - was really enjoyable couple of hours talking about everything.

Thanks all! Once Petscii is done will get back into these.

GnG will most likely be a long-term project due to the size and scope but will try building upon what I have done so far.  It might be a little rework to clean up the current source for future expansion but well see how it goes.  Here's the current build if you would like to give it a try!

ghostsngoblins.a78 128.13 kB · 12 downloads

I just want to make sure I didn’t have something go wrong but it’s just the first level for the rom right?  It’s really good so far I really enjoy it. I wish I could play more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

GnG will most likely be a long-term project due to the size and scope but will try building upon what I have done so far.  It might be a little rework to clean up the current source for future expansion but well see how it goes.  Here's the current build if you would like to give it a try!

It is looking great! Thanks for sharing an early demo. Is there any chance you can add in an option for the second button to do jump? For me this is drastically easier than "up=jump".

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Why don't you just HAVE one for all the other awesome stuff it already does so well? (Food Fight, Commando, Joust, ANYTHING by Bob D. ...) 

Yeah...Over the years I've owned more 7800's than I can count. Some just died, some unfortunately didn't make the cut when I felt overwhelmed by clutter. Sometimes I just flat out needed cash lol. 

I bought one recently solely for Ricki and Vicki. I played through it (great game although I agree with many it could benefit heavily from a password feature) then I got an extremely lucky chance to buy a very nice rebuilt Black Knight pinball machine for 1000 bucks (almost unheard of these days) and fire sale priced it at $125 shipped (with ricki) since I needed FAST cash. 

I've bought them just for Bob's games before too, (have bought many of his games, several times haha) I also really like Froggie so I'll probably buy that again too. Commando is another good one (but you NEED edladdins genesis controller adapter IMO) I admit I prefer the NES version though due to the secret rooms (they add a lot of replay value, I'm still finding shit 30+ years later haha) Kind of regret not picking up baby pac last round...another one to pick up "next time" I guess...

I pretty much ALWAYS have a 2600 and a NES but the other ones come and go like a kid dumping his toy drawer out. Its a manic hobby for me and I'm sure I'd own a rad sports car or some nonsense if I wasn't constantly buying/selling classic games (and probably losing thousands over the years I rarely if ever profit from anything I sell lol)

I know, I should just "keep" my stuff but my compulsive habits stop that from happening lol. I just started going for a "complete" 2600 collection (again) and I swore I wouldn't speed collect this time but its been a month and I have over 300 games...probably another 100 in the mail or pending negotiations  ? Yeah, I should have anticipated that happening...

So, another 7800 system will be coming soon since G/G is one of my favorite series ever made. I remember being near tears back in junior high when Sears told me the NES version was sold out and wouldn't be restocked (back in the day for me if you couldn't get it at Sears, you couldn't get it at all haha the pre funcoland days) Its always been a special game for me since I was really good at the arcade version. Having a small group of cooler cigarette smoking older kids watching me play and asking ME how to do stuff was a big ego boost, I felt pretty cool ? A new version is kind of a rare "time warp" moment for me and I won't be able to pass it up.

Here we go again ? 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Do you realize that we have a real life, work and even need to sleep a few hours? Four amazing conversions shown in two weeks, you really want to kill us! :P :)

Hey Marco! Hope all well with you mate ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Silver Back said:

I just want to make sure I didn’t have something go wrong but it’s just the first level for the rom right?  It’s really good so far I really enjoy it. I wish I could play more!

Yeah its just the first level split. The second part is missing a few things still and the playability hasn't really been fully tuned.

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

It is looking great! Thanks for sharing an early demo. Is there any chance you can add in an option for the second button to do jump? For me this is drastically easier than "up=jump".

Happy to make that change to try out. 1st button fire, 2nd button jump ok?

42 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

Fantastic work. 

I'll be interested to discover how you approach the sound aspect, the music on the C64 version was so good, it's the reason i never bothered picking up the ST version Elite released much later. 

Well if we get that far I'm sure Synthpopalooza will be very happy to knock up a great pokey conversion ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

Yeah its just the first level split. The second part is missing a few things still and the playability hasn't really been fully tuned.

Happy to make that change to try out. 1st button fire, 2nd button jump ok?

Well if we get that far I'm sure Synthpopalooza will be very happy to knock up a great pokey conversion ?

Can't wait to see how this amazing project develops. 

Game music was such a pivotal point when buying games for myself and friends back in the day. 

If it had music by the likes of Rob Hubbard, Matt Gray, Tim Follin, Martin Galway, it was an instant purchase. 

Could never get on with any version of Commando after playing the rushed C64 version, purely down to the music. 

I wish everyone involved in this project, the very best, your doing the community such a great service here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think these are some of the most exciting titles being worked on since the ones from last month!  Seriously everybody that been showing their work is amazing but gng is one of those wishlist games for the 7800 from my childhood. So while there are others who are way more qualified to help I will do whatever I can to assist. I’m really good at play testing :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  That is some awesome work on Ghosts & Goblins, and I am very much looking forward to seeing the finished game.  Can't say that I was ever any good at it, but it is one that kinda draws me in nonetheless.

Night Knight...  Definitely looking forward to this one as well.  I'm a sucker for a good platformer, and this one looks like it'll be a hoot.  Thanks for the hard work!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Commando is another good one (but you NEED edladdins genesis controller adapter IMO) I admit I prefer the NES version though due to the secret rooms (they add a lot of replay value, I'm still finding shit 30+ years later haha)

The 7800 version has the secret rooms too. There, now there's no reason to never have a 7800 again! ?

That said: G'n'G on the 7800 - WOW!

• Like 5

I encountered a bug where I became infinitely invincible. I'm not really sure how it happened, but it occured during the part with those purple knight dudes that go in a wavy pattern. I stopped being invincible as soon as I picked up another set of armor. Besides that though, this plays excellently. I'm not even a Ghosts 'n Goblins fan, but I'm really excited to see this port get finished.

• Like 3

Hi all,

Ok updated GnG with the following changes:

• Added jumping using the Right (button 2) fire button 
  • Swapped the emitter storage table (into low ram) and the DL memory (into cart storage).  We can see if any of those 'out of place' sprite displaying issue are sorted.  The low ram seems to be more consistent with variable storage

ghostsngoblins.a78

Play ONLINE (thanks @raz0red!)

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, mksmith said:
  • Added jumping using the Right (button 2) fire button 

Nice, thanks so much Matt! Unfortunately it looks like you have to have to press the jump button to start climbing the ladder, once you're on the ladder the up and down controls seems to work well.

- James

• Like 1