IGNORED

The Simpsons: Road Rage

classicgamer74

Not only a rip-off of Crazy Taxi (which isn't all that bad, and in my non-legal opinion, should be allowable), not a very fun game. I really wanted to like this game, but I just was never having fun with what were basically fetch quests with a time limit. After the charm wore off, I just found it to be more tedious than fun. Can't remember at what point I quit, but at least I got back what I payed for it.

• Like 2

I feel about the same way Rhomaios does.

If had played Hit and Run, Then asked for "that driving Simpson's game" for Christmas and got Road Rage, I'd be real disappointed.

Road Rage seems like a good "first try" or tech demo. Having said that, I appreciate Road Rage for what it is and that it paved the way for Hit and Run.

The biggest problem with Simpson's games is the best ones only get about 70 - 90% "the way there".

Road Rage is about 50% of a game. And most of that opinion is that it seems like its only 75% of a crazy taxi game.

The transition into 3D for the Simpsons was not an easy one. Just look at the skateboard game that came before Road Rage.

• Like 1

Simpson’s Road Rage resembles, but is legally distinct from Crazy Taxi.

It’s kind of crazy that you can patent software ideas as nebulous as a directional arrow to tell you where your next destination is.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6200138B1/en

Joking aside, Simpson’s RR is clearly a ripoff/homage of CT, and Simpson’s H&R is clearly. ripoff/homage of GTA. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with that. It isn’t a simple asset flip, which is a ripoff, and should be discouraged.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, H454 said:

I feel about the same way Rhomaios does.

If had played Hit and Run, Then asked for "that driving Simpson's game" for Christmas and got Road Rage, I'd be real disappointed.

Road Rage seems like a good "first try" or tech demo. Having said that, I appreciate Road Rage for what it is and that it paved the way for Hit and Run.

The biggest problem with Simpson's games is the best ones only get about 70 - 90% "the way there".

Road Rage is about 50% of a game. And most of that opinion is that it seems like its only 75% of a crazy taxi game.

The transition into 3D for the Simpsons was not an easy one. Just look at the skateboard game that came before Road Rage.

Honestly, I also got really bored with Hit & Run. But there's a point in GTA where I just can't stand to do another timed race, so I think that's where my frustration lies with these games. Crazy Taxi stays fun doing it, and GTA has the atmosphere. But while I love (early) Simpsons, and have great nostalgia for Bart's Nightmare, the PS2 games I felt were just too boring. H&R was the better game, but not by that much. More frustrating than fun, and for me that's a no-go with a game unless it really does something special.

I really wanted these games to be great. I think was more disappointed with them than most other highly anticipated duds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rhomaios said:

Honestly, I also got really bored with Hit & Run. But there's a point in GTA where I just can't stand to do another timed race, so I think that's where my frustration lies with these games. Crazy Taxi stays fun doing it, and GTA has the atmosphere. But while I love (early) Simpsons, and have great nostalgia for Bart's Nightmare, the PS2 games I felt were just too boring. H&R was the better game, but not by that much. More frustrating than fun, and for me that's a no-go with a game unless it really does something special.

Yea, Hit and run gets to be a real slog in the last 3rd of the game. I seen some youtube vids where the devs said that they had a time crunch and the last levels were repeats with stupidly short time limits. I beat it, but I had a couple moments of rage quit.

I don't remember what it was called, but the Simpson platformer that came out on everything (360 etc.) was pretty good.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, H454 said:

Yea, Hit and run gets to be a real slog in the last 3rd of the game. I seen some youtube vids where the devs said that they had a time crunch and the last levels were repeats with stupidly short time limits. I beat it, but I had a couple moments of rage quit.

I don't remember what it was called, but the Simpson platformer that came out on everything (360 etc.) was pretty good.

That game was good? I remember it getting middling reviews and so I skipped it. But now I don't even have a 360/PS3 anymore and likely won't have a Wii soon, too. It did look neat, but I've been burned by too many bad Simpsons games!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

That game was good? I remember it getting middling reviews and so I skipped it. But now I don't even have a 360/PS3 anymore and likely won't have a Wii soon, too. It did look neat, but I've been burned by too many bad Simpsons games!

I guess it's just called "The Simpson's game".

Its not like I'm a huge fan. I played once and totally forgot about it. Like I know I own it, but I can't find it.

It's definitely a 7.5 out of 10. But if you want a Simpsons game with heavy involvement from the writers of the show and an ok platformer. I'd rather play it over an NES platformer. It really has a "here, you've never played a video game, try this!" vibe.

It's puzzle platformer that uses the lego game mechanic of switching between characters with special abilitys.

• Like 1

I have always loved Simpsons' Road Rage.  I thought it did what Crazy Taxi 2 and 3 should have - give you cars with actual distinct pluses / minuses, give you lots of "areas", have the people you pick up give different dialogue based on what character you are / where you're at, and have lots of unlockables.  Some of the graphics are rough, sometimes you get stuck in stupid places, sure.  But way back when, my ex wife and sister in law and I played -the sh1t- out of this thing, even with tons of other games and Mario Kart on Wii to pick from.  We just kept working on it because we loved Crazy Taxi, loved the Simpsons, and loved beating tracks / challenges to open up new characters.

Apu's ride is sweet. :)

• Like 2

Funny the above posts mention 4 OTHER Simpsons games- howzabout we stick to the topic at hand? 

The show had 10 seasons under its belt by the time this game was made, so RR draws on a full decade of in-jokes & gags. You have to be a Simpsons fan to fully appreciate Road Rage. The only things that drag it down for me personally is that some of the phrases can be repetitive, & a character might immediately reappear for pickup after dropping them off.

Are we aware of the holiday themed unlockable vehicles? Set the PS2 internal calendar for some fun, these work every year. The horns are hilarious! 

Oct 31-  Halloween Bart

Thanksgiving- Thanksgiving Marge (turkey gobble horn]

Dec 25-   Christmas Apu

Jan 1- New Year's Krusty (Auld Lang Syne horn)

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

REMEMBER EVERYONE if your PS2 internal clock is current you can play as Christmas Apu today!!! ("We Wish You A Merry Christmas" horn)

I turned it on to take a pic & found a secret tunnel I never saw before!

Screenshot_20211225-094213_Gallery.jpg

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2