IGNORED

The REAL Fun Playdate Conversation Thread

jerseystyle

So who’s pumped for Playdate? I’m excited to add it to my small office toy collection, and my daughter will dig the crank. Any games stand out for y’all? Thoughts on the speaker stand?

I’m also curious about the programming tools. I’ve played around some with text adventures in the past, and it might be cool to try one out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

So who’s pumped for Playdate? I’m excited to add it to my small office toy collection, and my daughter will dig the crank. Any games stand out for y’all? Thoughts on the speaker stand?

I’m also curious about the programming tools. I’ve played around some with text adventures in the past, and it might be cool to try one out.

I'm excited to see it come out. I really like the looks of the speaker stand and think it would fit well in my office.

You might talk to @digdugnate I think his kid has messed with some dev stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

yeah- the Oldest dorked with it a little bit, enough to monkey around with the dev kit tools (since he was interested in learning programming for it).  We're both intrigued at what it will look like once it's a 'completed and shipped' consumer product.  

I don't ever see it be more than a 'small office toy' type thing, but that's ok.  even if there were some game-boy-level games on it, anyone that likes to tinker i think would like the device.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, digdugnate said:

yeah- the Oldest dorked with it a little bit, enough to monkey around with the dev kit tools (since he was interested in learning programming for it).  We're both intrigued at what it will look like once it's a 'completed and shipped' consumer product.  

I don't ever see it be more than a 'small office toy' type thing, but that's ok.  even if there were some game-boy-level games on it, anyone that likes to tinker i think would like the device.

I would love to make a game that is the opposite of Shark! Shark! in every way.  No idea what that would look like- maybe you're a big fish avoiding eating so that you can shrink down to nothingness (like that story A Hunger Artist)?

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I would love to make a game that is the opposite of Shark! Shark! in every way.  No idea what that would look like- maybe you're a big fish avoiding eating so that you can shrink down to nothingness (like that story A Hunger Artist)?

Using the crank like a fishing pole would be an ideal game for it!

Playdate Fishing. I can see it now.

And a Doom like game that uses a gatling gun.

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 2

I would probably create some kind of survival horror game in which you have to use the crank to keep the lights on, and maybe for weapons, enemy radars or something. It would be funny (or not, but that's the point ?) if the devices require different speeds or even rotation directions, to keep you on your toes. ;)

• Like 4

On 12/15/2021 at 2:00 AM, roots.genoa said:

I would probably create some kind of survival horror game in which you have to use the crank to keep the lights on, and maybe for weapons, enemy radars or something. It would be funny (or not, but that's the point ?) if the devices require different speeds or even rotation directions, to keep you on your toes. ;)

That's a neat idea. Get to programming!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m very curious about it. I wonder how big the games are, like how many will fit in its internal memory. I’d like to design a Q*bert roguelike on it. Anyone get their hands on one yet?

• Like 1