IGNORED

Chrome Won't Update - Apps Not Functional (Recurring)

SoCalAttorney

The Atari OS has been practically nonfunctional for me nearly 2 weeks, so I popped over to see if any of you had any advice for me because tech support has not been able to diagnose the problem.

The issue started when Chrome wouldn't download an update. It happened once before after an OS update and was eventually fixed after I flashed to US follow Atari's instructions. Like then, as now, I couldn't even get purchases to download. With Chrome now working none of the other "apps" that need Chrome in order function work. So no Antstream and even the VCS vault won't load.

I haven't make any recent changes to the system. I do have 32GB RAM and Windows 10 pro running on a 1TB internal SSD. I even have Windows running dual monitors on the thing. Running Windows works perfectly fine.

Stuff that has fixed problems in the passed such as reinstalling the OS isn't working. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by justclaws
merged threads, edited title to reflect the merger

13 hours ago, SoCalAttorney said:

The issue started when Chrome wouldn't download an update. It happened once before after an OS update and was eventually fixed after I flashed to US follow Atari's instructions. Like then, as now, I couldn't even get purchases to download. With Chrome now working none of the other "apps" that need Chrome in order function work. So no Antstream and even the VCS vault won't load.

The range of problems is quite wide, obviously all software related, but perhaps almost all network related.
The other common factor might be just your network connection to the Atari servers, which could be totally beyond your network.
Can you connect to Antstream from the Windows 10 installation you have? Can you connect to atarivcs.com?

If reflashing the firmware does not work, I can't see any explanation for your problem. You can login apparently OK, to the system.
The system also checks it's software every boot-up.
Incidentally, today, my system got a new Chrome update, automatically. (What version is your Chrome on, according to the app information.)

VCS Vault is stand-alone and does not use Chrome or web-services, so that's very odd. (What does it do when it "won't load"?)
What about other games? Do they load? Presumably you have Missile Command, as that was free to owners at the start?

As you say, Windows 10 runs no problem, so there's nothing wrong with the VCS hardware.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:27 AM, justclaws said:

The range of problems is quite wide, obviously all software related, but perhaps almost all network related.
The other common factor might be just your network connection to the Atari servers, which could be totally beyond your network.
Can you connect to Antstream from the Windows 10 installation you have? Can you connect to atarivcs.com?

If reflashing the firmware does not work, I can't see any explanation for your problem. You can login apparently OK, to the system.
The system also checks it's software every boot-up.
Incidentally, today, my system got a new Chrome update, automatically. (What version is your Chrome on, according to the app information.)

VCS Vault is stand-alone and does not use Chrome or web-services, so that's very odd. (What does it do when it "won't load"?)
What about other games? Do they load? Presumably you have Missile Command, as that was free to owners at the start?

As you say, Windows 10 runs no problem, so there's nothing wrong with the VCS hardware.

When I first got my VCS, I was having a horrible time using Antstream. I was also using a fairly old Netgear modem/router combo. I updgraded to Netgear CAX30 and generally get download speeds of 70-80 Mbps and upload speeds of 10-15 Mbps. I can connect to Antstream and atarivcs.com with no issues.

Whenever, I boot to the Atari OS, the same 3 programs want to update:  Chrome, VCS Vault and Antstream. Some of games I've purchased will download and play: Missile Command, Spear Master and Desert Falcon. Other games I've purchased such as Black Widow, VCS Vault 2 an Centipede won't even download. They just stall out. Some link-based services like Netflix will download but will not run do to the Chrome update issue. Others, like AirConsole won't download at all. Utopos and Tailgunner won't download. I think that's almost everything.

Tech support seems to be some and it has been this way for nearly 2 weeks now.

FWIW, I've got 32 GB RAM and Windows 10 Pro running on a internal SSD. I even figured out a way to run dual monitors in Window.

This is the second time I've had the issue. It last about 10-days the first time and reflashing worked that time.

3 hours ago, Atarick said:

Awesome, great to hear! Let us know what you think!!!

My journey with the VCS has been less than stellar. Some of the wounds have been self inflicted like when I managed to buy 2 batches of bad memory in a row and a defective SSD. When it runs, it is fun machine to have. But I've also had it since June and there's a combined total of more than month down time with respect to the OS not working after an update.

Had I know then what I know now, I would not have bought it and I really cannot recommend it to others. But I've made it my own and it does what I need it to do. My job is 100% remote, so I can run it in Windows all day my dual monitor set up and play games at the end of the work day.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, similar problems have returned and Atari is slow to respond. The issue started with Black Widow Recharged, which the VCS indicated had a download to update. It wouldn't download the update, so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall. No luck there as items won't download from the app store. Then it was a Chrome update that wouldn't download. Now Chrome doesn't work nor does any of the app that rely it like Netflix or Disney+. I also made several purchases on New Years Day that I have not been able to download. And now Antstream no longer works.

Lather, rinse, repeat. This is the third time something like this has happened, though last time was worse.

• 3 weeks later...

I am at my wits end with my VCS and any suggestions would be appreciate. It seems to be a known issue for some systems that Atari OS will randomly borks Chrome and this has happened to me 3 times. I've owned my VCS since June and Chrome has been out of commission for about 2.5 to 3 months. Support has not solutions as of yet and all I get are endless questions, so I'm back here for suggestions.

When this has happened in the past, the app store stops working too. So all the the purchases I made on New Years Day still will not download. And that seems to be the key...Chrome won't download an update. And everything that use Chrome also won't work. No Anstream, no AirConsole, no Netflix...nada.

I even reset the BIOS to the factory default and no change.

Flash the OS...no change.

Windows 10 works great.

Suggestions appreciated. 

More details....

I am having the same issue, which started to appear after the latest OS/BIOS updates that were pushed out in the December timeframe.  My console has been replaced and I am seeing the following on the replacement console:

1. When I first turned on the console, I got to the point where it asked me to login with my email. I was unable to get past this screen. I therefore went back and was able to login as a GUEST. Once I logged in as GUEST, there was a "Mega VCS Vault" app on the console. I was able to launch that application. However, once I rebooted the console, the system automatically downloaded and applied the updates to go to Version - 202211014.084614.production, Build - P#1271. At this point, I am now at the same exact behavior of the console that failed (see item #1).

2. In all cases, there are no error messages displayed on the screen. Connectivity to the console has been verified, especially since it was able to download the OS and BIOS updates.

3. I have booted the system with a keyboard, holding down the ESC key. It has taken me to the boot manager. I selected EFI Embedded MMC Device 1 (TA2932). The system rebooted, but this DID NOT fix the issue.

4. I have manually flashed the OS using the instructions previously posted in this thread. The system was flashed, but this DID NOT fix the issue.

In summary, I am more than frustrated. It's unbelievable that I cannot get any applications to launch or update on this console.

Any ideas?

8 hours ago, atari_bubba said:

I hope you have better luck than I did.  The RMA took 2 weeks to execute, and once it showed up nothing changed.  I still have a brick that is unable to run any applications.

Yeah, I had the issue before...for about 6 weeks. Then it came back to life after an update. Right now, he downloadable apps work for me. Burt anything that relies on Chrome still won't work.

In both cases, you can run games OK, but not Chrome, is that right?

It is such a weird problem, that you had the issue a 2nd time, or with a new console.
As the Chrome is just an application, called by other web-apps, it cannot corrupt the system,
but yes, it can block the apps which use it as a back-end. It would then just need a reinstall.,

There was supposed to be a new system update in November, then December, and now it
is still pending, and I have no idea why it is so much delayed. It seems that if you could just
get an update, this would also be solved, as Atari regularly update Chrome to latest versions.

I'd say choosing the other boot from the boot menu (press ESC, then choose boot menu,
but ultimately if the whole system is corrupted, flashing it back to new would resolve that.
I cannot imagine the cause, as downloads are check-summed, cannot install if corrupted.,
The only way I can see it happening is if the system lost post/rebooted during the install.

This should be added to the other thread with your previous problems.,

6 hours ago, justclaws said:

In both cases, you can run games OK, but not Chrome, is that right?

It is such a weird problem, that you had the issue a 2nd time, or with a new console.
As the Chrome is just an application, called by other web-apps, it cannot corrupt the system,
but yes, it can block the apps which use it as a back-end. It would then just need a reinstall.,

There was supposed to be a new system update in November, then December, and now it
is still pending, and I have no idea why it is so much delayed. It seems that if you could just
get an update, this would also be solved, as Atari regularly update Chrome to latest versions.

I'd say choosing the other boot from the boot menu (press ESC, then choose boot menu,
but ultimately if the whole system is corrupted, flashing it back to new would resolve that.
I cannot imagine the cause, as downloads are check-summed, cannot install if corrupted.,
The only way I can see it happening is if the system lost post/rebooted during the install.

This should be added to the other thread with your previous problems.,

At the present time, the biggest issue seems to be that nothing will download from the app store. Games that I've downloaded work fine. But the Chrome update won't download and thus won't work. That's the third time this issue has happened to me. Also not working are Antstream, AirConsole and anything that use Chrome like Netlfix. Switch to an ethernet connection doesn't work not did reset the BIOS to the factory defaults. I copies what ETA PRIME did. 

3 hours ago, SoCalAttorney said:

At the present time, the biggest issue seems to be that nothing will download from the app store. Games that I've downloaded work fine. But the Chrome update won't download and thus won't work. That's the third time this issue has happened to me. Also not working are Antstream, AirConsole and anything that use Chrome like Netlfix. Switch to an ethernet connection doesn't work not did reset the BIOS to the factory defaults. I copies what ETA PRIME did. 

I know that when you log into your Google account in Chrome on the VCS that it can sync the browser extensions that you use on Chrome for other systems. Are there possibly any browser extensions in Chrome that could be causing a problem? Probably unlikely but I am just trying to think of possibilities.

58 minutes ago, stirrell said:

I know that when you log into your Google account in Chrome on the VCS that it can sync the browser extensions that you use on Chrome for other systems. Are there possibly any browser extensions in Chrome that could be causing a problem? Probably unlikely but I am just trying to think of possibilities.

Anything is possible, but unlikely in my opinion. I am not a big user of extensions. Of the extensions I use, Adblock Plus, Better Tweetdeck and iCloud Bookmarks are the only non-Google extensions that I have installed. The other thing that is really odd is how the Chrome issues happen concurrently with stuff not downloading from the app store. Seems like as classic "chicken or the egg" problem to me.

• 1 month later...

Another update. Atari approved my RMA on 01/27/22. I finally on the shipping label on 02/21/22. I shipped it on 02/28/22 and it was delivered on 03/04/22. I on 03/04/22, I received an email from UPS that a replacement ship was on the way, scheduled to arrive on 03/08/22. Atari cancelled the delivery. On 03/08/22, Atari sent the following:  "Do you have your purchase receipt for your VCS? We are working on your replacement, but we need to know where your unit came from and the model of the unit."

I reply that same day that it was an eBay purchase. I don't have a receipt from Atari or a retailer. The again request the receipt and I told them again that I don't have one. So Atari has my VCS and no indication if they are going to return it to me. I am fed up with the poor customer service and plan to sell whatever they send me.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, SoCalAttorney said:

I reply that same day that it was an eBay purchase. I don't have a receipt from Atari or a retailer. The again request the receipt and I told them again that I don't have one. So Atari has my VCS and no indication if they are going to return it to me. I am fed up with the poor customer service and plan to sell whatever they send me.

I don’t think they can honor warranties from second hand retailers like ebay or craigslist unless the person that sold it to you gave you his/her receipt. Before you go blaming Atari, other companies do the same thing. That’s like a standard retail policy. Ebay is not an authorized Atari retailer. And without the receipt you’re kind of out of luck man. That’s something you should know. It is Ebay’s problem at that point. It may be too late but I would contact Ebay and tell them the item you received is defective and try to get your money back through them. Ebay is really good with money back guarantees.

7 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

I don’t think they can honor warranties from second hand retailers like ebay or craigslist unless the person that sold it to you gave you his/her receipt. Before you go blaming Atari, other companies do the same thing. That’s like a standard retail policy. Ebay is not an authorized Atari retailer. And without the receipt you’re kind of out of luck man. That’s something you should know. It is Ebay’s problem at that point. It may be too late but I would contact Ebay and tell them the item you received is defective and try to get your money back through them. Ebay is really good with money back guarantees.

The ended up accepting the email from eBay confirming my purchase. The thing that bugged me the most was they didn't even ask about it until after I had shipped it back. The Atari warranty has no limitations on transferability and main issue was confirming the model I had. 

29 minutes ago, SoCalAttorney said:

The ended up accepting the email from eBay confirming my purchase. The thing that bugged me the most was they didn't even ask about it until after I had shipped it back. The Atari warranty has no limitations on transferability and main issue was confirming the model I had. 

They're still going out of their way to help you even though it's not technically their problem and that's a nice thing for them to do but next time just go through Ebay and we wouldn't have to listen to the endless ranting. You said you owned the console for 8 months already you should've contacted them the second there was a problem, so that's issue number two. On top of the fact that you have no receipt.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

They're still going out of their way to help you even though it's not technically their problem and that's a nice thing for them to do but next time just go through Ebay and we wouldn't have to listen to the endless ranting. You said you owned the console for 8 months already you should've contacted them the second there was a problem, so that's issue number two. On top of the fact that you have no receipt.

Yes, it is their problem. I do have a little experience with warranty issues and it is more than just a nice thing to do. Ave I've been in constant contact with them. They wanted to confirm what model I had.

• Like 1