IGNORED

How to network My vintage computer Collection?

Install a windows 2000 or 2003 server.

It can function as a full hybrid Appletalk/appleshare and SMB network arbitrator/host. (Files will be immediately visible via both methods, from the same share. This allows ready access to files from both worlds, very seamlessly.)

The windows feature is called "Services For Macintosh."

https://networkencyclopedia.com/file-and-print-services-for-macintosh-fsm/

The feature was removed in XP, and has never been re-included, to my knowledge.

Modern Macs use Apple File Protocol, which is too new for your classic apple systems. They can be coaxed into using windows SMB though, so still workable.

For the classic/classic II, you will need an ethertalk bridge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304251585157?hash=item46d6cec285:g:eR8AAOSwxathqwUH

I would suggest a small localtalk segment between the classic and classic II, with the bridge connecting that localtalk segment to your home router. 

Install the win2k box, and configure file services for macintosh. Be sure to turn on the appletalk router features.  The classic macs will see it right away, and use it without complaint.  The same share can be accessible via SMB, by all your windows, DOS, and modern Mac systems.

Dont expect lightning fast transfers though. Localtalk is very slow.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3

I should probably update this a bit:

The Zenith 386 will need something like a 3com etherlink III, which is a 10 base-T ethernet card, and is ISA. Older versions of the card are jumpered, newer ones have a flashrom that is configured with a utility disk. Either should work in a 386, even in DOS. You will need to set up a DOS packet driver to use it in DOS, but the etherlink III was a go-to card in that era, and has good DOS support.

For the localtalk segment i mention should probably be "phone net", with an appropriate localtalk transceiver for each mac, and the bridge. (these are abundant and cheap) Again, it will be painful slow: 30kb/sec. The alternative is finding a rare scsi ethernet device (one for each mac!), or an even more rare ethernet add-in expansion for BOTH macs. The bridge is the most tractable option, IMO. It leverages stock hardware, and would be easiest to support/set up.

The IBM 350 has both PCI and ISA slots. I would just throw a suitable pci nic in it.

The powermac G4 has a builtin ethernet. depending on the OS it is running (OS9, or MacOS X) it may or may not see the appletalk environment hosted by the win2k system, and might need to be told to use the SMB share instead.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, wierd_w said:

Install a windows 2000 or 2003 server.

It can function as a full hybrid Appletalk/appleshare and SMB network arbitrator/host. (Files will be immediately visible via both methods, from the same share. This allows ready access to files from both worlds, very seamlessly.)

The windows feature is called "Services For Macintosh."

https://networkencyclopedia.com/file-and-print-services-for-macintosh-fsm/

The feature was removed in XP, and has never been re-included, to my knowledge.

Modern Macs use Apple File Protocol, which is too new for your classic apple systems. They can be coaxed into using windows SMB though, so still workable.

For the classic/classic II, you will need an ethertalk bridge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304251585157?hash=item46d6cec285:g:eR8AAOSwxathqwUH

I would suggest a small localtalk segment between the classic and classic II, with the bridge connecting that localtalk segment to your home router. 

Install the win2k box, and configure file services for macintosh. Be sure to turn on the appletalk router features.  The classic macs will see it right away, and use it without complaint.  The same share can be accessible via SMB, by all your windows, DOS, and modern Mac systems.

Dont expect lightning fast transfers though. Localtalk is very slow.

15 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I should probably update this a bit:

The Zenith 386 will need something like a 3com etherlink III, which is a 10 base-T ethernet card, and is ISA. Older versions of the card are jumpered, newer ones have a flashrom that is configured with a utility disk. Either should work in a 386, even in DOS. You will need to set up a DOS packet driver to use it in DOS, but the etherlink III was a go-to card in that era, and has good DOS support.

For the localtalk segment i mention should probably be "phone net", with an appropriate localtalk transceiver for each mac, and the bridge. (these are abundant and cheap) Again, it will be painful slow: 30kb/sec. The alternative is finding a rare scsi ethernet device (one for each mac!), or an even more rare ethernet add-in expansion for BOTH macs. The bridge is the most tractable option, IMO. It leverages stock hardware, and would be easiest to support/set up.

The IBM 350 has both PCI and ISA slots. I would just throw a suitable pci nic in it.

The powermac G4 has a builtin ethernet. depending on the OS it is running (OS9, or MacOS X) it may or may not see the appletalk environment hosted by the win2k system, and might need to be told to use the SMB share instead.

Thank You and now I will probably try and dual boot either my IBM 8503 NUE P4 or my IBM 300PL PIII with Windows 2000 for this.