IGNORED

What games do you suggest I buy for the new Atari VCS?

ColecoGamer

I recently discovered that my wife bought me an Atari VCS for Christmas. To say that I’m excited about receiving this console would be an understatement. Once I have the console in my hands, I need to decide on what games to buy for it, and there’s a good selection available. Any suggestions?

Pedra! is already on my radar, so that is a no-brainer imho. 

Thanks in advance to those who respond! 

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 3

I purchased Centipede Recharged and Planet Smashers. Planet Smashers is a space shooter that uses the Atari 7800 emulator. You can also play games on Stadia online, I played Hitman 3 and Cyberpunk on there with the VCS recently (purchased separately). I have an Xbox One controller that I use wirelessly with it and it works in the gaming apps. VCS also has Xbox Game Pass with a subscription to that service and GeForce Now. I don't use Luna as it's not available in Canada yet. Donut Dodo looks like a neat upcoming VCS game imo. It's a platforming game that looks like it's from 1983. Other than that I'd buy the Rollercoaster Tycoon port but it's not for sale yet and I'm definitely considering Asteroids and Breakout Recharged!

• Like 3

I have loved Pixel Cup Soccer, VCS Vault 2, Jetboard Joust, and Thrustlander. I am also getting into Spear Master but it's tough. Danger Scavenger is also fun but I am taking to that one a bit slower. I think Sydney Hunter is a phenomenal throwback game and that Unsung Warriors will be amazing once it drops in full next year.

• Like 2

The games are pretty varied and my feeling is that most will find something they enjoy. For me, my personal favorites have been:

- Jetboard Joust

- Thrustlander

- Atari's Recharged series

- Danger Scavenger

- Sydney Hunter

- The Darkside Detective series

As others have said, definitely get to know Antstream. It's an amazing platform.

Happy holidays and I hope that you enjoy your VCS!

• Like 3

Pretty much everything is at least good for someone, but I'd say over the past year the following have seemed to hit critical mass in terms of being well liked and well made:

Thrustlander

Guntech 2.0

Danger Scavenger

Centipede: Recharged

Unsung Warriors (also free! just a demo but a full experience)

Jetboard Joust

• Like 4

16 hours ago, swingstate said:

I purchased Centipede Recharged and Planet Smashers. Planet Smashers is a space shooter that uses the Atari 7800 emulator. You can also play games on Stadia online, I played Hitman 3 and Cyberpunk on there with the VCS recently (purchased separately). I have an Xbox One controller that I use wirelessly with it and it works in the gaming apps. VCS also has Xbox Game Pass with a subscription to that service and GeForce Now. I don't use Luna as it's not available in Canada yet. Donut Dodo looks like a neat upcoming VCS game imo. It's a platforming game that looks like it's from 1983. Other than that I'd buy the Rollercoaster Tycoon port but it's not for sale yet and I'm definitely considering Asteroids and Breakout Recharged!

Thank you for the response! I’ve been following the Recharged series for some time now, but I held off from buying the games when I learned that I was receiving  the VCS for Christmas. (I wanted to experience the games on the VCS and not on the Switch, Series X, etc.). 

I am aware of Asteroids Recharged coming to the VCS on December 14th, so I’ll buy that along with Centipede Recharged and Planet Smashers for the 7800, as you suggested. 

I was surprised to learn that Xbox joypads (for example) work with the VCS. I believe my wife bought the system with the classic controller, so it’s good to know that I have controllers available that will allow me to play games like Black Widow Recharged (a game I have never played) until I purchase the Atari VCS analog controller.

I have never used a streaming service like Stadia before, so trying something like that out should be an adventure!

As for Dodo Donut (or Donut Dodo?): this game looks incredible! I have seen a couple of videos from the developer, and the game looks absolutely incredible. It really does resemble a lost arcade game from the 1980s. Plus, the developer of the game made a comment on Youtube, stating that Donut Dodo should have a December release, if all goes well.

Fingers crossed! 

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post, regarding the games I should buy for the Atari VCS.

Apparently the VCS arrived much earlier than expected. To my surprise, my wife gave me the system early! 

I hooked everything up and created my account with no issues. I am now a proud owner of an Atari VCS! 

I decided to buy three games from the list of titles I compiled from this post: Pedra!, Black Widow, and Jetboard Joust. I plan on buying every game suggested to me here; they all look fantastic! 

I felt like a kid again while opening the VCS. ? 

1C878217-1757-4BAA-9B41-5FC9852229F1.thumb.jpeg.56130f006cafde3db8c76893880d46f5.jpegCAEA4EF7-D582-4FEA-B9A8-7FC05156B1A0.thumb.jpeg.3e7e9654c006deb9429e246cb0f65a6f.jpeg

• Like 13

On 12/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, ColecoGamer said:

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post, regarding the games I should buy for the Atari VCS.

Apparently the VCS arrived much earlier than expected. To my surprise, my wife gave me the system early! 

I hooked everything up and created my account with no issues. I am now a proud owner of an Atari VCS! 

I decided to buy three games from the list of titles I compiled from this post: Pedra!, Black Widow, and Jetboard Joust. I plan on buying every game suggested to me here; they all look fantastic! 

I felt like a kid again while opening the VCS. ? 

1C878217-1757-4BAA-9B41-5FC9852229F1.thumb.jpeg.56130f006cafde3db8c76893880d46f5.jpegCAEA4EF7-D582-4FEA-B9A8-7FC05156B1A0.thumb.jpeg.3e7e9654c006deb9429e246cb0f65a6f.jpeg

Congrats, welcome to the party! You're a lucky guy to have a wife like that. 

Any of the recharged games are great, Sydney Hunter, Sir Lovelot, Sigi, Guntech, Thrustlander, Anstream has tons of free games. Games announced and coming soon: Unsung Warriors, The Spirit of the Samurai, Chaos Chassis, Bobby Bombastic, Plutonium Pirates, Red Rust, Neko Ghost Jump, Food Fight, and many others on the way.

By the way, is that Atari logo glowing blue? It looks blue. I have the Onyx model as well and mine is white.

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

Congrats, welcome to the party! You're a lucky guy to have a wife like that. 

Any of the recharged games are great, Sydney Hunter, Sir Lovelot, Sigi, Guntech, Thrustlander, Anstream has tons of free games. Games announced and coming soon: Unsung Warriors, The Spirit of the Samurai, Chaos Chassis, Bobby Bombastic, Plutonium Pirates, Red Rust, Neko Ghost Jump, Food Fight, and many others on the way.

By the way, is that Atari logo glowing blue? It looks blue. I have the Onyx model as well and mine is white.

Thank you, @Djmicklovin! Yes, I count myself very lucky to have a wife who supports my gaming hobby. Women like her are far and few between unfortunately.

I really appreciate the game suggestions and the list of upcoming games for the VCS. I’ve seen the trailer for The Spirit of the Samurai, and I can’t wait to play it! It seems to be a unique twist on the hack ‘n slash genre. Sydney Hunter, Guntech, etc., are on my ‘must-buy’ list for the VCS.

I had to double-check the power light on my VCS (I wasn’t sure if it was actually blue or if the photo somehow created an illusion) but yes - my power light is a light blue color! I’m not sure if my console is a later revision and Atari changed the internal LED for some reason? Maybe there was a lack of white LEDs? Now I’m curious…

Edit: Maybe someone with some insider knowledge of the Atari VCS production run(s) can chime in and explain why my power light is blue?

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:28 AM, Atarick said:

Also, one more thing. The game play on the VCS off of Antstream is fantastic. That and the Recharged series have been a lot of my playing recently. 

I've had my ups and downs with Antstream on the VCS, but I do enjoy it. Anstream does have some 7800 that you can try out before buying, including Foodfight.

My favorites on Antstream are  Double Dragon, Rampage, Robotron 2024 and Smash TV.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoCalAttorney said:

I've had my ups and downs with Antstream on the VCS, but I do enjoy it. Anstream does have some 7800 that you can try out before buying, including Foodfight.

My favorites on Antstream are  Double Dragon, Rampage, Robotron 2024 and Smash TV.

I also heard that AntStream has the arcade version of Mortal Kombat 1. Is this true? I hope so. I plan on trying Antstream tonight, as soon as time permits.