IGNORED

Can’t get wireless or wired Xbox controllers to work on Atari VCS

ColecoGamer

As the topic of this post states, I can’t seem to get my Xbox 360 or Xbox One controllers (wired or wireless)!to work on my Atari VCS.

I downloaded the Joystick Test program from the store, and oddly enough, it finds whatever Xbox controller I connect. The buttons, directional pad and analog stick also respond on-screen when pressed and/or moved. 

But when it comes to actually using the Xbox joypad on the Atari VCS’s dashboard - or playing a game - the system acts like the controller doesn’t exist. When I plug in my Classic Atari Controller, the VCS finds it with no issue.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? It feels like I might be missing a step in the process somewhere.

Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

I had a similar problem but I do have a partial solution you can try. Xbox One: The Xbox One controller should pair with the VCS if you press the pair button at the top of the controller and go to the place in the settings where it says 'pairing' in devices. If you try to pair the controller every time you use the VCS, I've found that the VCS recognizes the Xbox One controller as a "Gamepad" and not an "Xbox Wireless Controller". You will probably want it to be recognized as an Xbox Wireless Controller because if it does that, all the buttons should be fully functional whereas in gamepad some buttons weren't recognized. After you pair it once, next time you use the VCS, press the Xbox logo to turn on the controller to use with the VCS. My Xbox controller was 'forgotten' by the VCS after not using it for a few days so you would repeat the steps above. Xbox Series X controllers aren't compatible natively with the VCS yet but I sent Atari Support a request for that feature and they said they will send it to the software engineers for their review. You may want to try updating the controller firmware for your Xbox One or 360 controllers on a Windows machine (using the Xbox Accessories app) and see if you have more luck that way. The issue I had was I have two Xbox One controllers and only one of them would pair with the VCS. The other one was only recognized wired. I can't guarantee you that my ideas here will 100% help you but as long as the bluetooth in the controllers functions and you have the most up-to-date firmware for your controllers, I would think it should connect to the VCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swingstate said:

I had a similar problem but I do have a partial solution you can try. Xbox One: The Xbox One controller should pair with the VCS if you press the pair button at the top of the controller and go to the place in the settings where it says 'pairing' in devices. If you try to pair the controller every time you use the VCS, I've found that the VCS recognizes the Xbox One controller as a "Gamepad" and not an "Xbox Wireless Controller". You will probably want it to be recognized as an Xbox Wireless Controller because if it does that, all the buttons should be fully functional whereas in gamepad some buttons weren't recognized. After you pair it once, next time you use the VCS, press the Xbox logo to turn on the controller to use with the VCS. My Xbox controller was 'forgotten' by the VCS after not using it for a few days so you would repeat the steps above. Xbox Series X controllers aren't compatible natively with the VCS yet but I sent Atari Support a request for that feature and they said they will send it to the software engineers for their review. You may want to try updating the controller firmware for your Xbox One or 360 controllers on a Windows machine (using the Xbox Accessories app) and see if you have more luck that way. The issue I had was I have two Xbox One controllers and only one of them would pair with the VCS. The other one was only recognized wired. I can't guarantee you that my ideas here will 100% help you but as long as the bluetooth in the controllers functions and you have the most up-to-date firmware for your controllers, I would think it should connect to the VCS.

I appreciate the help. I’ve been trying for a couple of days to no avail. Thanks to your advice, though - I now have a foundation to work from. I will respond later with my results after. ?

I have bought a whole load of controllers, just for such testing.
I have classic, and Xbox controllers, which work fine, with most things I've tried.
It's strange that they're not working for you, so perhaps they're just a later generation.

However, there are various different types. I've tried:
- Xbox USB controllers (360 generation, I guess, bought new) - work on all I've tried
- Xbox wirelsss controllers (via USB wireless dongle) - they work on everything
- Clone Xbox Bluetooth controllers (I'm not sure if they are Xbox One gen, I think so)

I've not tried any 1st-party Xbox One controllers, are they're too expensive - 70-80 EUR.

I've also bought PS3, PS4 controllers, USB and Bluetooth, which seem to work OK too.
I started to make a table, but yes, life's to busy lately, and I have not completed that. ?

I'd be very happy to update this list with whatever your (and other's findings are)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, justclaws said:

I have bought a whole load of controllers, just for such testing.
I have classic, and Xbox controllers, which work fine, with most things I've tried.
It's strange that they're not working for you, so perhaps they're just a later generation.

However, there are various different types. I've tried:
- Xbox USB controllers (360 generation, I guess, bought new) - work on all I've tried
- Xbox wirelsss controllers (via USB wireless dongle) - they work on everything
- Clone Xbox Bluetooth controllers (I'm not sure if they are Xbox One gen, I think so)

I've not tried any 1st-party Xbox One controllers, are they're too expensive - 70-80 EUR.

I've also bought PS3, PS4 controllers, USB and Bluetooth, which seem to work OK too.
I started to make a table, but yes, life's to busy lately, and I have not completed that. ?

I'd be very happy to update this list with whatever your (and other's findings are)

I really appreciate the response. I tried two different Power A Xbox One controllers (both wired) and neither would work. I am now in possession of a 1st party Xbox 360 controller, which I hope works. I wanted to test it out this evening, but I wasn’t feeling up to it after having such a long day. I plan on testing the 1st party controller tomorrow, though. Fingers crossed!

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Thanks 1

I tried the first-party Xbox 360 controller yesterday afternoon, but unfortunately my VCS still would’t recognize it. I’m not sure what the issue is. I tried to flash the controller with new firmware, but apparently the firmware inside the controller was up-to-date.

What to do…

I wanted to wait ‘til after Christmas (mainly due to all the sales that occur afterwards), but I decided to order a VCS Modern Controller from Best Buy dot com. I should have it by the end of this week.

Thank you to those who responded with advice!

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I tried the first-party Xbox 360 controller yesterday afternoon, but unfortunately my VCS still would’t recognize it. I’m not sure what the issue is. I tried to flash the controller with new firmware, but apparently the firmware inside the controller was up-to-date.

What to do…

I wanted to wait ‘til after Christmas (mainly due to all the sales that occur afterwards), but I decided to order a VCS Modern Controller from Best Buy dot com. I should have it by the end of this week.

Thank you to those who responded with advice!

Did you update to the latest software? I know earlier versions of the Atari OS wouldn’t let you use Xbox controllers with the VCS. I have a PowerA brand Xbox Series X controller and it works, it only works wired though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Djmicklovin said:

Did you update to the latest software? I know earlier versions of the Atari OS wouldn’t let you use Xbox controllers with the VCS. I have a PowerA brand Xbox Series X controller and it works, it only works wired though.

The VCS downloaded a bunch of updates (including a firmware update) during the initial setup. I’ll check and see if there’s an update that might have been missed.

4 hours ago, Djmicklovin said:

I forgot to ask: did you plug the Power A controller into the VCS first before turning it on, and then the console found it? Or did you turn the console on first; booted the controller Pairing Tool from the Dashboard; and then plugged the controller into the VCS?

Edit: I’m just wondering if I am going about it wrong.

Edited by ColecoGamer

4 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I forgot to ask: did you plug the Power A controller into the VCS first before turning it on, and then the console found it? Or did you turn the console on first; booted the controller Pairing Tool from the Dashboard; and then plugged the controller into the VCS?

Edit: I’m just wondering if I am going about it wrong.

It was plugged in before i turned the VCS on but it shouldn’t matter. It should automatically recognize the controller, you shouldn’t need the pairing tool if it’s wired.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be testing Microsoft's Xbox Wireless Controller Adapter (for Windows) with an Xbox Series X controller on the VCS AtariOS (using Microsoft's 2020 Xbox Wireless Controller). Hopefully it'll pair! I'll post the result in this thread in January. I'll also test an Xbox One controller which previously didn't pair with the VCS via bluetooth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 6:01 AM, swingstate said:

I'll be testing Microsoft's Xbox Wireless Controller Adapter (for Windows) with an Xbox Series X controller on the VCS AtariOS (using Microsoft's 2020 Xbox Wireless Controller). Hopefully it'll pair! I'll post the result in this thread in January. I'll also test an Xbox One controller which previously didn't pair with the VCS via bluetooth.

Xbox Series X controller

20220110_130341.thumb.jpg.05cb55e26da9cde77a16f00ef1136c57.jpg

Background: Tested with an Xbox Adapter for Windows using AtariOS. It has been reported by another user on YouTube that it works wired. I was hoping to see if it will work with an adapter wirelessly.

Result: Doesn't work on AtariOS even with adapter. Works great on Windows 10 which I installed on Atari VCS m.2 drive.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

20220104_194218.thumb.jpg.ed3840221073803faf943a07e5412537.jpg

Background: I have a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller (Super Smash Bros edition) that works with Nintendo Switch, but will it work wired and wirelessly with AtariOS?

Result: I have found that the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller connects to the VCS and works wired and wirelessly with the AtariOS. It doesn’t however, work with Stadia on AtariOS though it does work with Antstream satisfactory and only the menu in Asteroids: 7800 works on the VCS (which suggests other emulator games I don’t own wouldn’t support this controller). On Windows 10 it does work with Stadia and it works both wired and wirelessly with Stadia. Only menu was functional and couldn’t play games in Atari VCS Vault. Lastly, Black Widow Recharged is available on the Nintendo Switch but I found that playing this game with a Pro Controller didn’t work (only menus worked).

Nintendo Switch PDP Faceoff chat controller

20220104_194140.thumb.jpg.f72330594d32d7be11a2b076a329dbc9.jpg

Background: I happened to have this wired controller and wondered if it would work on an Atari VCS OS. I’m pretty sure the Xbox PowerA ones and other third party controllers do so let’s give it a shot!

Result: Could not get it to work wired or wirelessly. The only symbol of hope was that one of the buttons lit up when I plugged this controller into a VCS USB port. Not recommended for VCS use on AtariOS.

20220110_153429.thumb.jpg.0ed3b46c5c746dbfa024c1b10034d62f.jpg

Findings and summary: When it comes to the Atari VCS, the Atari Modern Controller and Classic Joystick are the ideal controllers to use with the system in my opinion. The third-party controllers in bold above such as a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and others were tested for use on the VCS and Windows with a AtariOS focus. 

• 1 month later...

My VCS only came with a Classic controller,  because I'm in the UK I can't order an official Atari modern controller.  I had to make a judgement and buy the nearest thing I could find - a wired (didn't want wireless) Power A XBox controller as shown in attached pic.   Works in all the games I've tried just fine, but I do need a keyboard to exit games etc.

IMG_20220301_182512.thumb.jpg.ceee5cc1ce27fb2d63194dbc6df098ea.jpg

Edited by THX-1138