IGNORED

Brazil PCB/Design

Andrew Davie

I have exchanged a few messages with @DablioGames recently.

Due to the high prices of the STM32 MCU (and the higher import duties in Brazil) he is not producing any PlusCarts or UnoCarts at the moment.

He suggested to use a cheaper MCU and also offered to support with the new PCB for that. But I don't see a cheap alternative that we can easily port our code base to.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 9:48 PM, Al_Nafuur said:

I have exchanged a few messages with @DablioGames recently.

Due to the high prices of the STM32 MCU (and the higher import duties in Brazil) he is not producing any PlusCarts or UnoCarts at the moment.

He suggested to use a cheaper MCU and also offered to support with the new PCB for that. But I don't see a cheap alternative that we can easily port our code base to.

Regardless, under GPL he is required to release the current PCB, AFAIK.

I don't care about his willingness to support "cheap alternatives".  He should/could release the existing design.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Regardless, under GPL he is required to release the current PCB, AFAIK.

?

I don't see that the smd PCB design he did himself is derived from any GPL work ?

Just like the smd PCB @MacRorie uses for the UnoCart. AFAIK they aren't under the GPL too.

These SMD boards do not necessarily have to be released under the GPL just because we and @electrotrains have released some simple breakout boards under the GPL.

4 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I don't see that the smd PCB design he did himself is derived from any GPL work ?

OK, I stand corrected.

But still, it seems you're allowing this gent to profit/resell your GPL'd work (and to a lesser degree, mine) and use your website/resources without any contributions to the project.

1 minute ago, Andrew Davie said:

OK, I stand corrected.

?

But still, it seems you're allowing this gent to profit/resell your GPL'd work (and to a lesser degree, mine)

A lot of big companies are using GPL'd work in their products. That doesn't mean they have to compensate/inform the original creator or publish their products (TVs, smartphones, toasters, etc.) under the GPL too.

All they need to do according to the GPL is to inform the customer that the product contains GPL'd work (which they mostly do on the second last page of the manual in a very small font).

The great thing about the GPL is that everyone has the right to produce and sell a GPL'd work (at any price he wants). And the customer has the possibility to choose where he buys his product.

and use your website/resources without any contributions to the project.

using other people's service/resources is something different and of course not covered by the GPL.

17 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

The great thing about the GPL is that everyone has the right to produce and sell a GPL'd work (at any price he wants). And the customer has the possibility to choose where he buys his product.

OK, noted. I need to find a license that allows copying/use but not profiting without permission.

17 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

using other people's service/resources is something different and of course not covered by the GPL.

I understood you have an agreement a year or so ago that the board design would be released, and on this basis you allowed the Brazil version to continue to use the website....?  Wasn't there a basic promise/intention along those lines?

17 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I understood you have an agreement a year or so ago that the board design would be released, and on this basis you allowed the Brazil version to continue to use the website....?

Yes.

17 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Wasn't there a basic promise/intention along those lines?

Yes.

@DablioGames promised to release his PlusCart/UnoCart PCB design under the GPL (or any other open license?).

But, as we are all know, this hasn't happend yet.

• Sad 1