IGNORED

GPU Running Hot

SoCalAttorney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Keatah said:

Arctic MX-4, MX-5, Silver.. Anything really. But NO liquid metal stuff.

Surprised a new unit would need new thermal compound so fast unless not enough is present or something's defective..

I think mine is too. I thought I fixed it by lowering the TDP for 45w (which was its default) to 35w but that only extended pc mode gaming a few minutes and then the games start crashing again. I'm going to take my VCS a part again and replace the paste. Ive watched a few recent videos of VCSs being opened and it looks like the cpu isn't making good contact between the paste and heat sink.

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

What will you do to close the gap? In PC building it is customary to use the thinnest possible amount of compound. Just enough to fill-in the surface scratches and defects. Not fill in gaps between the heatsink and processor.

Im going to make sure both surfaces are smooth and clean, proper paste coverage and the heat sink is evenly tighten down on all sides.

Look at this video 

Starting at 8:51, when they pull off the heat sink, any place on the cpu that is clean of thermal compound and you can see, wasn't touching the paste or heat sink in any significant way. Either half the cpu cores or gpu cores are getting cooked.

There was only this much thermal compound on my VCS cpu. No wonder I was regularly getting temps over 100c. I removed all of it from the cpu and heat sink and I used some Corsair TM30  Performance Thermal Paste as a replacement. It drops temps over 25c. Now its operates at 74c when running Hitman 3 or Time Spy bench mark. BTW, I would not recommend playing Hitman III on the VCS. Hitman 3 doesn't offically support 2 core cpus nor the VCS' Vega 3 graphics so in game play it tends to crash a lot.  But the benchmark section works fine.

ataripaste.jpg

• 3 months later...

I managed to get around the excessive heat by turning down the TDP of the Ryzen chip in the BIOS.  The embedded chip is rated at 15/25w.  Yes, you can run it higher, but in my benchmarks, i didn't notice a difference between 15w and the maximum 54w.  However, i did notice a huge difference in cooling and the fan ramping up.  Give it a try and see what you think.

• 7 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 2:28 PM, cubehacker said:

I managed to get around the excessive heat by turning down the TDP of the Ryzen chip in the BIOS.  The embedded chip is rated at 15/25w.  Yes, you can run it higher, but in my benchmarks, i didn't notice a difference between 15w and the maximum 54w.  However, i did notice a huge difference in cooling and the fan ramping up.  Give it a try and see what you think.

I forgot to come back and say thanks for the tip. I think I reduced it to 25w and it run system runs much cooler.

• Like 1