IGNORED

Tomahawk 777 - NEW Arcade Port for the Atari 2600

RaymanC

Hello Everyone !!

Here is my third homebrew for the Atari 2600 !!

TOMAHAWK 777

While visiting the Lunar Sea of Zion on one of the seven moons of Zolarin, your submarine "Marauder" has come under attack by nuclear weapon wielding Zionites. In addition to bombing you, they are also using their powers to evaporate the waters of the sea. But you can fight back by launching your death dealing tomahawk missiles.

GAME INFO

Tomahawk 777 is yet another Galaxian style shoot-em-up, but with a nautical theme. You control a slow moving submarine which may move horizontally and also vertically up to the top of the ocean. The aliens are gathered in a regular formation above the water line from which they drop bombs, or swoop at you kamikaze-like.

You start the game with three lives, which may be lost by being hit by incoming aliens or their depth charges. The gray blocks at the right-bottom of the screen represent your lives.

Points may be scored for each alien killed, with extra points scored if the aliens are caught mid-swoop. Throughout the attack, the water level is continually dropping. This eventually limits the maneuverability of your sub until you are constrained to move only horizontally along the bottom of the screen.

This continues until the last alien of the wave is killed, after which the water level returns to normal and a new wave of aliens arrives. The 3 colors blocks at the left-bottom of the screen represent the number of waves.

This game is a port of the arcade game TOMAHAWK 777 Revision 5.  

It was released by Data East in early 1980, but unlike other well recognized classic arcade games, relatively little is known about the history of this game.

HOW TO PLAY

Use the joystick to move your submarine in any direction and press the joystick button to fire your tomahawk missile.

You have to destroy 13 aliens to complete the first wave. On the second wave, you have to destroy 26, then 39, 52, 65 and so on.

There are 15 waves in this game. Waves 1 to 3 are the easiest, the real action starts in wave 4.

SCORE

Yellow aliens score 50 points in formation or 100 in attack mode.

Red aliens score 70 points in formation or 150 in attack mode.

Green aliens score 80 points in formation or 200 in attack mode.

When you score 5,000 points you will receive an extra submarine.

I hope you enjoy this game and If you find a bug please let me know !!

Let's see those high scores !!

Carlos

RaymanC

Tomahawk 777_NTSC_RC1.bin Tomahawk 777_PAL60_RC1.bin

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Nice title screen?  This game is very challenging.  

On 12/15/2021 at 10:47 AM, RaymanC said:

the real action starts in wave 4.

I’ve only made it to wave 5 and have not been able to crack 20k (18,050) yet.  Sometimes after you lose a life, your instantly killed as your slow moving sub is positioned right between multiple enemy shots and you can’t really avoid them.  I never came across this coin-op, but I’m sure it was a quarter muncher BITD.

BA3EAF67-16A9-4809-822A-49EC9C2E0895.jpeg

22F1237F-E917-41A2-BEB2-32DB0D3791C9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much to Carlos / @RaymanC for letting us hold the exclusive world debut of Tomahawk 777 on ZeroPage Homebrew on Tuesday! If you missed the show, check out the video below. ?

- James

Tue Dec 14 @ 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT+1Day

WATCH: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Karl G said:

...I like the style of shoot-em-ups where you need to be careful of when you shoot, as it takes a bit to get your next shot again. Very challenging, but a lot of fun for sure.

Carlos has a knack for these types of shooters.  The END 2600 and Stratovox require careful shooting as well.  @RaymanC Whatever happened with Stratovox?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Sometimes after you lose a life, your instantly killed as your slow moving sub is positioned right between multiple enemy shots and you can’t really avoid them

Thanks for your info sramirez2008, I will be making a change to avoid this maybe by making the sub blinks for a few seconds when it reappears.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Yurkie said:

could you explain about water level?

When an alien attacks your submarine, if he reaches the bottom of the sea then he will disappears and the water level will drop one step.

Beware because the alien will reappear again at the top of the screen to continue the attack !!

On 12/17/2021 at 7:33 PM, RaymanC said:

I'm using DPC+ in batari Basic. No ARM.

OK - thanks for the clarification. We're not supporting that in Argon at the moment, but we're going to see if we can. I think we have a problem at the moment where we assume that any 32K file is in the F4 bank switch format rather than Harmony/DPC+.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this Christmas present!  I've enjoyed your previous games...I remember playing both stratovox and the end at the local arcade long long ago. But I have no memory of tomahawk - I had to search through mame to confirm it was an arcade port. Anyway, thanks again...I eagerly wait to see which game you decide to port next!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, eegad said:

Thank you for this Christmas present!  I've enjoyed your previous games...I remember playing both stratovox and the end at the local arcade long long ago. But I have no memory of tomahawk - I had to search through mame to confirm it was an arcade port. Anyway, thanks again...I eagerly wait to see which game you decide to port next!

You are welcome !!

I'm glad to know that you are having fun with my games !!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/9/2023 at 6:33 PM, killersquirel said:

Sorry to bump an older thread, but this game is truly awesome.  I hope you continue to make ports of obscure arcade games for the 2600.  You truly are great at what you're doing.

Thanks! I'm happy to know that you liked this game!

Please try my fourth homebrew game for the Atari 2600 - Lucky Chase.

Enjoy!

I have The End already and have ordered Stratovox in the last chance sale.  It's a pity that we will not be getting a physical release of this considering AtariAge's new policy on unofficial arcade ports.  Do we have your permission to put it on a custom cart?  The challenge then is finding decent artwork for a label.  I can only find a poster for the arcade game but it has too much text on it.  And try googling Submarines and UFOs or spaceships.  Not really two things that go together.  

• Thanks 1