IGNORED

Is it possible to create these games for the 7800?

Gunther

46 minutes ago, miker said:

I did, and here's some things to consider.

1). I'm not asking, nor expecting, anyone on this thread to make a game or make one for free.

2). After reading the thread it revealed that 'non-programmer' homebrew ideas are indeed welcome, according to the Atari Age rules.

You can also re-read that thread so you may confirm it.

I mean afterall, Atari Age forums do pertain to Atari afficiandos such as my self whom are willing to pay for the privilege of playing these games.

3). I find it odd that an 'Is It Possible?' thread in any way implies that I expected anyone to make, or even consider making a game to you.

If I have, then please articulate this with a quote from any of my previous comments from this thread.

You won't be able to, but at least you'll have learned to actually read and digest things Michael before letting your emotions get the better of you.

4). Please also quote from any of my previous posts where I ask anyone to do anything other then to respond if they wish (which nobody is obliged to do Michael)! Again, you won't be able to. 

Face-palm Michael!

Thanks for the passive-aggressive heads-up; I guess...

Edited by Gunther

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Waaah!

A 'non-programmer' has entered the chat.

We must smite him; how dare he even consider making a thread not even asking anyone to make any of them or even consider doing so.

Let's literally gang-stalk a potential customer off the forum.

Not a great look guys!

Edited by Gunther

These forums are generally pretty low drama. The stakes are pretty low with this hobby, and the forums are well-moderated to keep it that way. Any online community has its own norms and customs. No one had said you were breaking any rules (previously, at least), but the post you were referred to gives you some information on the norms here regarding game suggestions like yours.

• Like 1

I get that.

I'd prefer a private message instead of being made an example of on a public forum - the balls in the commentors court here, not mine.

Imagine if I was a young kid whom was excited at the prospect of learning new things about retro programming. How would that kid feel when 40+ aged men all huddle around like teenage kids, making fun of them.

To be that adolescent is cringeworthy.

Again, your moderators/users did this, not me.

Courtesy goes a long way!

How does this thread constitute to me in anyway 'causing drama'?

I've explained my position, and have adhered to the rules and conditions of a 'non-programmer'. It's why Michael has still failed to reply to my comments.

I did this because the posters compelled me to read these rules (which it appears that no one has actually read) without any provocation from myself.

Again, how does that constitute to drama?

I merely posted a few videos - don't pass the buck for poor form.

Myself, I'd gently nudge 'newbs' in the right direction regardless of wether they were a gamer (your consumers) or a programmer.

It nutures good faith.

Edited by Gunther

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

It's why Michael has still failed to reply to my comments.

Perhaps they are not worth his time to reply?  There was nothing wrong in having that link posted.  What you'll come to find is after 20 years, some of the "old guys" get tired of seeing the same crap over and over and over again.  It was a gentle suggestion, and you are the one trying to stir the pot or create drama.

• Like 8

I get it there are a ton of games I would love to see ported to the 7800. But here’s the thing, all the incredible homebrew hobbyists and programmers are swamped with the games they want to make. It would be more fruitful to ask if it can be done and then take the time and journey to do it yourself, or engage with the conversations of the games already being created.  Because as excited as you are for these games to come out, it probably won’t happen unless you make it happen. 

There has been no reply because it would be intellectually-dishonest to do so, considering I was compelled to read a thread discussing terms-and-conditions and thread-ettiquete by commentors, being easily confirmed by scrolling back through earlier comments.

This confirmed that some of your members can't read, or don't like my presence in this forum.

I've asked for it to be take down to spare hurt feelings.

51 minutes ago, Gunther said:

There has been no reply because it would be intellectually-dishonest to do so, considering I was compelled to read a thread discussing terms-and-conditions and thread-ettiquete by commentors, being easily confirmed by scrolling back through earlier comments.

This confirmed that some of your members can't read, or don't like my presence in this forum.

I've asked for it to be take down to spare hurt feelings.

Here's a thought bud.  You have a whopping 6 posts - 5 of them bitching.  Let me ask you something.  If you walked into a new bar, where many of the patrons were 10 to 20 year customers, and immediately went to the jukebox and played the wrong music, or hit on the waitress, etc.  You would damn sure get scolded verbally at a minimum.

It's decent manners to scope out the place first.  Check the atmosphere so to speak.  Maybe read some terms & conditions, or in the case of a new bar, sit your ass back, keep your mouth shut, and order some food to take in the mood of the place.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

3). I find it odd that an 'Is It Possible?' thread in any way implies that I expected anyone to make, or even consider making a game to you.

Oh, okay. In that case I will answer each of your initial questions, and I think most 7800 programmers would agree with each of my answers.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:37 AM, Gunther said:

Monstro Giganto! Is it possible on the 7800?

Probably, maybe with some limitations.

On 12/15/2021 at 12:39 PM, Gunther said:

Yoomp for the 7800!; is it possible?

On 12/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, Gunther said:

Final Assault for the 7800; is it possible?

6 hours ago, Gunther said:

Sonic C64 would be excellent.

This would also be great:

(The Last Ninja) 

These are probably possible on the 7800, maybe with some limitations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/15/2021 at 10:39 AM, Gunther said:

Yoomp for the 7800!; is it possible?

A 5200 version would be nice for this one considering that I just might have to call The Atari Report a day (due to a rather severe financial crisis I'm going through right now in which just might force me to sell my 2600 Jr, 7800, and XEGS, I hope I can get some help though to prevent me from having to do that) and go back to having only my 5200 and the VCS adapter for the 2600 games, along with my soon-to-be arriving ColecoVision. THAT, is why I would love to see more XL/XE ports converted, if I could afford to fork over some dough I'd be more than glad to pay a great guy like Paul Lay some dough in order to get some of them ported over to Big Sexy, since he happens to do a rather fantastic job at it (as one of "The Big 3", the others are @Wrathchild and @classics). Provided they can be done within the 5200's 16K RAM limit (or for you in your case the 7800's 10K of RAM but with that awesome MARIA graphics chip)

....and contrary to popular belief, in which says that I am only doing this for myself, that, is not true, I'd love to see more ports done over to Big Sexy, provided they can be dome within] the 16K RAM limitation of her, so that others who prefer her over the 8-bit computer series besides myself can enjoy them too.

As for a 7800 version for you, if anyone wants to do it I have the XL/XE ROM of this on hand, in fact I just might want to play this tonight on my XEGS, I figure, why not??? :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

A 5200 version would be nice for this one considering that I just might have to call The Atari Report a day (due to a rather severe financial crisis I'm going through right now in which just might force me to sell my 2600 Jr, 7800, and XEGS, I hope I can get some help though to prevent me from having to do that) and go back to having only my 5200 and the VCS adapter for the 2600 games, along with my soon-to-be arriving ColecoVision. THAT, is why I would love to see more XL/XE ports converted, if I could afford to fork over some dough I'd be more than glad to pay a great guy like Paul Lay some dough in order to get some of them ported over to Big Sexy, since he happens to do a rather fantastic job at it (as one of "The Big 3", the others are @Wrathchild and @classics). Provided they can be done within the 5200's 16K RAM limit (or for you in your case the 7800's 10K of RAM but with that awesome MARIA graphics chip)

....and contrary to popular belief, in which says that I am only doing this for myself, that, is not true, I'd love to see more ports done over to Big Sexy, provided they can be dome within] the 16K RAM limitation of her, so that others who prefer her over the 8-bit computer series besides myself can enjoy them too.

As for a 7800 version for you, if anyone wants to do it I have the XL/XE ROM of this on hand, in fact I just might want to play this tonight on my XEGS, I figure, why not??? :) 

Well, I googled up Yoomp! 5200 conversion and came up with this old thread on AA, BUMMER!!! :( 

All I'd like to say here, is the 7800 developers usually do have a back log of games they want to get to make (it is a labor of love, so they will most likely want to port either the games they remember or make a new one they would have wanted to see).

However, if it weren't for @gambler172 asking me to port Moon Cresta, it most likely would never have happened.  But I will say, he did not hound me about it.

So there is a small chance that an gentle asking might make someone go ("Oh yeah, I remember that game...  Hmm, that might not be too difficult to do"), as in my case.

I guess the bottom line is, in either case, state your idea and let it alone.  Don't create drama about it.  Love you guys! :) 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

All I'd like to say here, is the 7800 developers usually do have a back log of games they want to get to make (it is a labor of love, so they will most likely want to port either the games they remember or make a new one they would have wanted to see).

However, if it weren't for @gambler172 asking me to port Moon Cresta, it most likely would never have happened.  But I will say, he did not hound me about it.

So there is a small chance that an gentle asking might make someone go ("Oh yeah, I remember that game...  Hmm, that might not be too difficult to do"), as in my case.

I guess the bottom line is, in either case, state your idea and let it alone.  Don't create drama about it.  Love you guys! :) 

In my case would that same theory work with Paul Lay (@playsoft), @Wrathchild or @classics, when it comes to (perhaps) getting more A8-to-5200 conversions made up, or is that out of the equation??? ....and yes I AM serious about having to perhaps sell my 2600 Jr., 7800, and XEGS, and just living with my 5200 and the Colecovision I picked up last week, due to the rather severe financial crisis I am going through right now, as well as selling my car and also due to the fact that The Atari Report YouTube channel has not been the runaway success story I had hoped it would've been. I mean when you only have a mere 95 subscribers in the short 18-month run it has had despite getting more systems and presenting more games for all you guys and (still) have nothing to show for it despite making it sound mainstream enough (use of different variants of the "World News Tonight" opening theme music, having a great voiceover, that being my own work, and doing all of my own stunts including filming, compiling, producing, and presenting/hosting it), I have concluded that it was all nothing but a waste of both my time and my money as Cindy Margolis REFUSES to try and lobby to get a contract with iHeartRadio/Clear Channel/WTF they call themselves or a record label or production company so I can finally make myself something in the entertainment business after 28 LONG YEARS in it.

Maybe you guys can prove me wrong. I DO hope so, as I AM still going through with filming this weekend's episodes such as I mentioned right here:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So I downloaded visual code studio and gimp and got everything set up. My free time is limited between work and family so getting anything made anytime soon won’t ever happen. But I do have a bit more of an appreciate for what goes into these games and that’s mainly what I’m looking to do for now. Just get a better understanding of how it’s done and maybe years down the road I can do something with it. Thanks for getting me started with the suggestion.

edit. Forgot to add your name so sorry, thank you @Muddyfunster for getting me started. 

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

So I downloaded visual code studio and gimp and got everything set up. My free time is limited between work and family so getting anything made anytime soon won’t ever happen. But I do have a bit more of an appreciate for what goes into these games and that’s mainly what I’m looking to do for now. Just get a better understanding of how it’s done and maybe years down the road I can do something with it. Thanks for getting me started with the suggestion.

edit. Forgot to add your name so sorry, thank you @Muddyfunster for getting me started. 

You are most welcome :), the real genius's are @mksmith (ADS) and @RevEng (7800Basic).

The best way to learn with 7800 basic is to experiment and check out the sample programs that come with it. 

There are also lots of really good threads in the 7800 programming forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love words. This is a word I wish people would be more familiar with. Tact 

The world would be a better place if people would incorporate this into their lifestyle. Yes sometimes we have no choice to offend people (and that is O.K.) , but many times we can just slightly change what we say or do to ovoid bringing more stress into other people's lives. Life is stressful enough. :)

On 12/16/2021 at 11:53 AM, Gunther said:

I get that.

I'd prefer a private message instead of being made an example of on a public forum - the balls in the commentors court here, not mine.

Imagine if I was a young kid whom was excited at the prospect of learning new things about retro programming. How would that kid feel when 40+ aged men all huddle around like teenage kids, making fun of them.

To be that adolescent is cringeworthy.

Again, your moderators/users did this, not me.

Courtesy goes a long way!

How does this thread constitute to me in anyway 'causing drama'?

I've explained my position, and have adhered to the rules and conditions of a 'non-programmer'. It's why Michael has still failed to reply to my comments.

I did this because the posters compelled me to read these rules (which it appears that no one has actually read) without any provocation from myself.

Again, how does that constitute to drama?

I merely posted a few videos - don't pass the buck for poor form.

Myself, I'd gently nudge 'newbs' in the right direction regardless of wether they were a gamer (your consumers) or a programmer.

It nutures good faith.

image.jpeg.26da23a85be885f2363a6f9e0b136cd8.jpeg

• Haha 2

Alright, I've been a member of AA for what, two weeks? But I've noticed that some of the older members, especially programmers, always assault people who make threads like this. I know it got annoying real fast, but you should drop it too. It makes you kinda immature, you know? People won't stop asking if "x game" can be ported to the Atari 7800, even if you insult them or their mothers. So just let it goddamn slide. Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Edited by Cris1997XX
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Cris1997XX said:

Alright, I've been a member of AA for what, two weeks? But I've noticed that the older members, especially programmers, always assault people who make threads like this. I know it got annoying real fast, but you should drop it too. It makes you kinda immature, you know? People won't stop asking if "x game" can be ported to the Atari 7800, even if you insult them or their mothers. So just let it goddamn slide. Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Please see post #45.

6 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

as Cindy Margolis REFUSES to try and lobby to get a contract with iHeartRadio/Clear Channel/WTF they call themselves or a record label or production company so I can finally make myself something in the entertainment business after 28 LONG YEARS in it.

Quoting for the absolute absurdity of this.  I kept it short - was that using tact?

• Haha 2