IGNORED

Atari Lynx Homebrew Games Completed/WIP in 2021

ZeroPage Homebrew

Atari Lynx Homebrew Games Completed/WIP in 2021

Below is a list of all the Atari Lynx homebrew games that have either been completed in 2021, released an updated WIP in 2021 or had a physical release in 2021. Please let me know if there are any missing or inaccurate (credits, binary sizes) entries. Note: Games are only added to this list if there is a playable binary, video or physical release of the game.

Physical Release

Completed

WIP

More Info:

• Updated xxx xx, 2021: When I last updated the listing
  • 2021xxxx: When the latest binary/video was uploaded
  • Demo: Not the full game. Limited either by levels, time, lives or in some other way
  • Video Only: Only a video of the game exists, no binaries
  • [ref]: Link to where the developer declared the game completed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for doing this!

The following were released prior to 2021:

• Ponx*
  • Raid on TriCity - First Impact (essentially a demo)
  • Wyvern Tales*
  • Xump - The Final Run*

The following are new final releases for 2021:

• Asteroids Chasers Deluxe*
  • Bathman (I think?)
  • Centipede (Songbird version)*
  • Raid on TriCity - Second Wave*
  • Sky Raider Redux*
  • Unnamed*
  • YNXA*

* have physical releases

The following compilation got its first physical release in 2021:

• LynXmas 2020 (though at least one game was considered unfinished by its author)

The following are not released in final form:

• 8-Bit Dungeon*
  • 8-Bit Slicks*
  • 8-Bit Strike*
  • Assembloids*
  • AstroKawaRoids
  • Berzerkoids* (I’m starting to see a pattern here…)
  • Black Pit*
  • Bug Hunt
  • Captain Harlynx
  • Critter Championship*
  • Final Melee
  • Growing Ties Deluxe*
  • Krow*
  • Lacim’s Legacy
  • Microvaders* (hidden in Lexis)
  • Mortal Kombat*
  • Odynexus
  • Sorrow*
  • Star Blader
  • Xump 2* (at least it says it’s a beta)
  • Z.A.P.*

* prototype or beta available

The following demos are homebrew but not games:

• Flower Power by joeyaage
  • Fuji Rot by @42bs
  • Mona by 42bs
  • Planet Techno by New Generation
  • Unlit by New Generation 
  • Warp 4.2 by 42bs

The following I’m not sure of the status of:

• Banana Ghost (which is not by @Fadest, I think…)
  • El Cheapo SD Menu
  • Thanks 1

You could add credits for Bathman character animations to RGS_Dev on itch.io. The music is based on a swing arrangement by Victor Demange of an old tune from the 40's by Brassens called "Les Copains D'Aboard". For fast work like a jam it helps to get assets from the net. The Bathman is finalized. No further development will happen.

It will be released in cart form on the LynxMas 2021 Jam cart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Banana Ghost is from @Bjorn, while Black Pit us from me.

Not sure Black Pit is completed, still a WIP, but in the other case, it will probably never be extended as a full game (too experimental). Maybe included in another game as mini-game, I don't know yet. 

About my commercial games:

Asteroids Chasers / Asteroids Chasers Deluxe are the same game, released in 2021. Only the packaging differs. 

Ynxa / Ynxa Deluxe : same game / different packages, commercially released in 2021

Raid on TriCity: First Impact is the same game as Raid on TriCity released for free in 2029, with some gameplay enhancements. 

Raid on TriCity: Second Wave is an expanded version of the game, with a full story mode, released as physical in 2021

Abiut WIP, are you looking for games that are WIP for years, ir only those that got new binary/video release/public showcase in 2021 ?

Because some games due in 2022/later are missing.

These one did not get new binary/video in 2021 AFAIK but will get release in 2022/23:

RED by @LordKraken

Odynexus by @LordKraken

Nomad Rally by @Ninjabba

Lacim's Legacy by @enthusi

Assembloids by @enthusi

Mortal Kombat by New Generation @laoo @solo/ng

Cyberpunk 2037 (to be renamed :)) by Fadest

And probably many more 

WIP that got binary/video in 2021:

Captain Harlynx by @Bob_63

Game&Lynx: Critter Championship by @Ninjabba

Oxymore by @sage

Bug's Hunt by @marss/ @Nop90

Starblader by @Nop90

Games from the LynxJam 2021 (apart Bathman that @karri consider as complete)

New wizard game by @karri

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Mortal Kombat Demo and that had a downloadable binary.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/233089-mortal-kombat-for-lynx/

Looks like the last downloadable binary came out in 2019? This list is only for games that have had a binary or physical release this year Jan 1, 2021-Dec 31, 2021 (or if it's never had a binary release, a new video released in 2021).

- James

• Like 1

Centipede can't have been coded in 1987, as Handy's specs weren't even finalized until that year, right? That screenshot showing "copyright 198?" (and not "1987") probably reflects Shadowsoft's own uncertainty about when Atari released the original game, instead of being a clue about when they started their port. I imagine that would have been sometime in '91 or '92, around the time that Joust and Robotron appeared.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Thank you for doing this!

You're very welcome! ? Thank YOU for all the incredible information!

The following were released prior to 2021:

• Ponx*
  • Raid on TriCity - First Impact (essentially a demo)
  • Wyvern Tales*
  • Xump - The Final Run*

Ponx: It looks like it's a physical re-release in 2021, I'll add it to the physical releases with a note that it's a re-release from 2008/2018.

Raid on TriCity - First Impact: You're right, it's a demo level from Raid on TriCity - Second Wave, so it's really not a stand alone separate game. Deleted.

Wyvern Tales: Added to physical releases with note it's a non-updated re-release from 2005.

Xump - The Final Run: You are correct, this post shows the physical version release dating to 2019.

The following are new final releases for 2021:

• Asteroids Chasers Deluxe*
  • Bathman (I think?)
  • Centipede (Songbird version)*
  • Raid on TriCity - Second Wave*
  • Sky Raider Redux*
  • Unnamed*
  • YNXA*

* have physical releases

QUESTION: From the video linked here it looks like Centipede is a hack/update of the Centipede prototype and not developed from scratch, am I correct?

The following are not released in final form:

SNIP!

I'll investigate the rest of the list later today or tomorrow, phew! Thanks so much!!

- James

• Like 1

20 hours ago, karri said:

You could add credits for Bathman character animations to RGS_Dev on itch.io. The music is based on a swing arrangement by Victor Demange of an old tune from the 40's by Brassens called "Les Copains D'Aboard". For fast work like a jam it helps to get assets from the net. The Bathman is finalized. No further development will happen.

It will be released in cart form on the LynxMas 2021 Jam cart.

Thanks for the extra credits for the game, updated!

20 hours ago, karri said:

I believe you mixed Fadest and Bjorn's entries in the list. Banana ghost was not by Fadest. He wrote the black entry with stereo sound.

You bet I did, I've fixed that now. Thanks!

- James

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fadest said:

Yes, Banana Ghost is from @Bjorn, while Black Pit us from me.

Excellent, updated. ?

Not sure Black Pit is completed, still a WIP, but in the other case, it will probably never be extended as a full game (too experimental). Maybe included in another game as mini-game, I don't know yet. 

Thanks for the info, I'll place it in the WIP category until it's confirmed as completed. ?

About my commercial games:

Asteroids Chasers / Asteroids Chasers Deluxe are the same game, released in 2021. Only the packaging differs. 

Ynxa / Ynxa Deluxe : same game / different packages, commercially released in 2021

Raid on TriCity: First Impact is the same game as Raid on TriCity released for free in 2029, with some gameplay enhancements. 

Raid on TriCity: Second Wave is an expanded version of the game, with a full story mode, released as physical in 2021

Thanks for the confirmation, I've updated where needed. ?

Abiut WIP, are you looking for games that are WIP for years, ir only those that got new binary/video release/public showcase in 2021 ?

I'm only looking for games that have had new binaries or new physical copies released in 2021. If games from 2020 or older get a binary update or a new physical release in 2021 I'll add them to the list. If the game has NEVER had a binary release I will add it to the list if a new video is released. Once a binary is released, I don't consider updating videos for the game.

Because some games due in 2022/later are missing.

These one did not get new binary/video in 2021 AFAIK but will get release in 2022/23:

RED by @LordKraken

Odynexus by @LordKraken

Nomad Rally by @Ninjabba

Lacim's Legacy by @enthusi

Assembloids by @enthusi

Mortal Kombat by New Generation @laoo @solo/ng

Cyberpunk 2037 (to be renamed :)) by Fadest

And probably many more 

Nice! I'll keep an eye out for these for adding to next year's list. ;-)

WIP that got binary/video in 2021:

Captain Harlynx by @Bob_63

Game&Lynx: Critter Championship by @Ninjabba

Oxymore by @sage

Bug's Hunt by @marss/ @Nop90

Starblader by @Nop90

Games from the LynxJam 2021 (apart Bathman that @karri consider as complete)

New wizard game by @karri

NICE!! I love giving credit where credit it due. ?

I can't find any information or links for a game called Oxymore by @sage, do you have more information on this?

- James

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LordKraken said:

If you're looking at all game still WIP, and not just the once started or announced in 2021, then you can definitely add, RED and Odynexus, both expected to be released in 2022, as well as Bombercays that is not dead yet ;)

Excellent, I'll be able to add them to the list if you have a publicly posted video. If not, I'll be able to add them once there is, or once there's a binary posted.

15 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Thanks for making this summary!

You're very welcome! It's mostly to keep track of games for the upcoming 4th Annual Atari Hombrew Awards, we've just added Atari Lynx to the award categories this year! I also maintain lists like this for the Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 5200 and 8-bit systems. ?

- James

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Centipede can't have been coded in 1987, as Handy's specs weren't even finalized until that year, right? That screenshot showing "copyright 198?" (and not "1987") probably reflects Shadowsoft's own uncertainty about when Atari released the original game, instead of being a clue about when they started their port. I imagine that would have been sometime in '91 or '92, around the time that Joust and Robotron appeared.

Makes sense, I just watched the video again and it updates the copyright to 1993 and 2020. I'm going to assume that this is a 'hack/enhancement' of the original game building upon the original code.

- James

image.thumb.png.562487f2f04d82602b9a7309345998a9.png

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Makes sense, I just watched the video again and it updates the copyright to 1993 and 2020. I'm going to assume that this is a 'hack/enhancement' of the original game building upon the original code.

It was in a sense, but as the original prototype alpha was never finished in any sense (many enemy types not implemented, no sound, no difficulty increase with time, and so on and so forth) and this is a fully licensed and authorized release, this is indeed the first final release of the game. A huge amount of work went into this, and it was one of the games I played the most this year. Much the same is true of Microvaders development-wise, which is scheduled for release next year.

Ponx didn’t get a full rerelease in 2021 (the curved lip reissue has been available since 2018), just a cool new box and artwork. It should qualify for best packaging competition for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

It was in a sense, but as the original prototype alpha was never finished in any sense (many enemy types not implemented, no sound, no difficulty increase with time, and so on and so forth) and this is a fully licensed and authorized release, this is indeed the first final release of the game. A huge amount of work went into this, and it was one of the games I played the most this year. Much the same is true of Microvaders development-wise, which is scheduled for release next year.

That does change things, I'll relabel it. In that case it definitely not a hack if it's fully licensed and authorized. And especially since it was never released before this, it will be the first release of the game.

6 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Ponx didn’t get a full rerelease in 2021 (it has been available since 2018), just a cool new box and artwork. It should qualify for best packaging competition for sure.

Thanks for the info, we'll discuss more about it in the nomination committee forum.

- James

On 12/16/2021 at 2:22 AM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Note: YNXA Standard previously completed in 2019 for the Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

This was a very rudimentary prototype. In many ways it’s really a different game than what was released in 2021.

Yes, Ynxa 30th birthday edition was released in 2019 for the Atari Gamer contest. It is still available for free download on my itch.io page.

It was a work in progress until this year.

Then this month, I released the full version with upgraded graphisms, new music, completely reworked level design (game is probable 3x bigger now), and lot of enhancements.

Ynxa Standard & Deluxe are the same game, it is just the packaging that change :

- Ynxa Standard : cart + poster + booklet / boxed (original Lynx size) + extra sticker for first buyer

- Ynxa Deluxe = Ynxa Standard (with different label) + another poster + 3D pyramid cart holder + map pack + a cartridge if original Ynxa 30th game, in side a big box

But overall, for game judgement, they are the same game.

For packaging, this is another issue :D

In my terminology, Deluxe is not an expanded version of a game, but a deluxe version of packaging (Asteroids Chasers Deluxe, Ynxa Deluxe...)

Edit: same for Asteroids Chasers, it was a WIP until this year release.

I kept the same name because they were WIP.

Whereas Raid on TriCity that got a previous release has now a nickname (Second Wave) to tell it is kind of sequel with the brand new story mode.

Yes, it is a bit confusing, I apologize to @Igor & @ZeroPage Homebrew, did not think of your website and homebrew award classification when I did this version naming nightmare :D

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1