IGNORED

Atari Lynx Homebrew Games Completed/WIP in 2021

ZeroPage Homebrew

On 12/16/2021 at 7:52 PM, jgkspsx said:

This was a very rudimentary prototype. In many ways it’s really a different game than what was released in 2021.

Good info, I've removed the info that it was previously completed and will be able to compete in this year's completed entries.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, jgkspsx said:

Here is a link: 

It looks like the original attachment was removed, so maybe we’re not supposed to play it yet.

Thanks! I've added it to WIP, the original attachment seems intact as I was able to download it.

- James

On 12/17/2021 at 12:21 AM, Fadest said:

In my terminology, Deluxe is not an expanded version of a game, but a deluxe version of packaging (Asteroids Chasers Deluxe, Ynxa Deluxe...)

Ah, thanks for the clarification that the Deluxe only refers to the packaging and not the games themselves. I've removed the Deluxe part from the name of the game so it's clear.

Edit: same for Asteroids Chasers, it was a WIP until this year release.

I kept the same name because they were WIP.

I've removed the info that it was completed in an earlier year, thanks for the info! It will be eligible to compete in this year's event!

Whereas Raid on TriCity that got a previous release has now a nickname (Second Wave) to tell it is kind of sequel with the brand new story mode.

I've clarified the wording in the listing to designate that it's a new sequel to Raid on TriCity with new content.

Yes, it is a bit confusing, I apologize to @Igor & @ZeroPage Homebrew, did not think of your website and homebrew award classification when I did this version naming nightmare :D

No problem, Lynx is a new category this year and I have to get used to the way Lynx games are released. Every console/computer has their own way of doing things. ?

Thank you for letting me know all of this, it's always good to hear the info straight from the developer!

- James

On 12/18/2021 at 5:12 AM, Songbird said:

If you want to include physical releases, including reprints with updated physical packaging, then SFX was reprinted same as Ponx this year. Similarly, Alpine Games was reprinted with Songbird as the publisher this year.

I definitely want to include every Lynx game that has had a new binary or new packaging released in the year 2021. If it's a previously physically released game then I'll mark it as such so I know that it's not eligible for competition for this year's Atari Homebrew Awards.

I've got Ponx in the listing and I've now added Alpine Games. The listing is only for games so I'll have to leave off SFX.

Thanks so much for the info for the listings! ?

- James

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Igor said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew Z.A.P. is available to download from here - https://atarigamer.itch.io/zap

Thanks for the info! I've linked it in the listing. ?

9 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew don't forget that Z.A.P. and Sorrow are both WIPs as well and planned for completion and likely physical release sometime in the future.

Very confusing, on the itch.io page for Z.A.P. it states it as 'Released' and not 'In Progress'. Here's a screencap from the page. Although on the AA forum thread it does say more additions are planned. It must just be a mistake on the itch.io page. Thanks! I've moved it.

image.thumb.png.f30a08347782b5bca8ec7bc6627cbbbc.png

I've moved Sorrow (labelled as Prototype on itch.io) and Banana Ghost (labelled as in Development on itch.io) to the WIP category.

- James

• Like 2

I just finished the "To Be Added" list for the 2021 Lynx games, hooray! All caught up, for now.

There were some questions I had for some I couldn't find new 2021 releases for the game or found that they were already released in previous years. If anybody could confirm the following or link me to the relevant information?

- James

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I've got Ponx in the listing and I've now added Alpine Games. The listing is only for games so I'll have to leave off SFX.

I love that you are going through the mess we created releasing so many stuff ahah :)

Now if your intention is also to create a full list for the awards, imho Ponx, Alpine games and all other re-release shouldn't be included since they are definitely not from this year.

edit : ahah nevermind I should have read until the end :) " If it's a previously physically released game then I'll mark it as such so I know that it's not eligible for competition for this year's Atari Homebrew Awards." yep exactly that :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I just finished the "To Be Added" list for the 2021 Lynx games, hooray! All caught up, for now.

There were some questions I had for some I couldn't find new 2021 releases for the game or found that they were already released in previous years. If anybody could confirm the following or link me to the relevant information?

- James

I think this is pretty correct, none of the game on this list was released this year. Some were in the previous years (Assembloids , xump), other might be released next year (mortal kombat, microvaders, odynexus). Others, we haven't had news in a long time (Lacim's legacy)

Also some more update:

8bit-Slicks has been announced but not physically release this year as far I know. (there are some recent demo available digitally though)

- Odynexus is definitely WIP even though it's pretty much done, need balancing

- RED is totally WIP, it has the same name as the game released in the lynxmas compilation but it's a much more extended version.

Edited by LordKraken

3 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Also some more update:

8bit-Slicks has been announced but not physically release this year as far I know. (there are some recent demo available digitally though)

- RED is totally WIP, it has the same name as the game released in the lynxmas compilation but it's a much more extended version.

We did work on it in 2021 so it's definetely an 2021 WIP. ;-)

I think it makes not a whole lot of sense to put on a strict time frame on a WIP. If it's WIP in 2020, it's still WIP in 2021 and then until release. 

Edited by agradeneu

I think the requirement for something to be shown in the calendar year is because there are a lot of homebrew authors who resemble the “writer” from Camus’s La Peste, who declare a game is in progress and spend the rest of eternity working on the perfect first line. (I am one of that number :))

There are not so many in the Lynx community here but apparently it became an issue in the 2600 homebrew awards.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

there are a lot of homebrew authors who resemble the “writer” from Camus’s La Peste, who declare a game is in progress and spend the rest of eternity working on the perfect first line. (I am one of that number :))

Me too. That is why I nowadays declare my crap complete as soon as it compiles.

... One "Stardreamer" was enough for me. ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/21/2021 at 2:34 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Thanks for the info! I've linked it in the listing. ?

Very confusing, on the itch.io page for Z.A.P. it states it as 'Released' and not 'In Progress'. Here's a screencap from the page. Although on the AA forum thread it does say more additions are planned. It must just be a mistake on the itch.io page. Thanks! I've moved it.

image.thumb.png.f30a08347782b5bca8ec7bc6627cbbbc.png

I've moved Sorrow (labelled as Prototype on itch.io) and Banana Ghost (labelled as in Development on itch.io) to the WIP category.

- James

James, the jam version is released. The version that will have additions to it will not be a jam version but a new version, possibly with a new name - these will be completely different releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 1:16 AM, LordKraken said:

I love that you are going through the mess we created releasing so many stuff ahah :)

Hahah, it's been a little bit of a learning curve coming into the Lynx scene. Each console community operates with different ways of releasing games so I'm trying to navigate through that with the great help from everyone.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:16 AM, LordKraken said:

Now if your intention is also to create a full list for the awards, imho Ponx, Alpine games and all other re-release shouldn't be included since they are definitely not from this year.

edit : ahah nevermind I should have read until the end :) " If it's a previously physically released game then I'll mark it as such so I know that it's not eligible for competition for this year's Atari Homebrew Awards." yep exactly that :)

The list is to try to keep a record of everything from 2021 that's been physically released, had a new binary release or in the case of a game that's never been released via binary, a video. The notes I put beside each game are to help me evaluate the eligibility for the Atari Homebrew Awards at the end of the year. ?

- James

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 1:20 AM, LordKraken said:

I think this is pretty correct, none of the game on this list was released this year. Some were in the previous years (Assembloids , xump), other might be released next year (mortal kombat, microvaders, odynexus). Others, we haven't had news in a long time (Lacim's legacy)

Thanks for the confirmation, I'll remove the list and add them back in if they get an update.

On 12/21/2021 at 1:23 AM, LordKraken said:

On 12/21/2021 at 4:57 AM, agradeneu said:

We did work on it in 2021 so it's definetely an 2021 WIP. ;-)

I think it makes not a whole lot of sense to put on a strict time frame on a WIP. If it's WIP in 2020, it's still WIP in 2021 and then until release.

Thanks for the info, if there's a new binary released in 2021 I'll add it to the list.

Keep in mind my list is not an ongoing list of games that "in the works" dating back years, it's only for new binaries and physical products released in 2021. It looks like there's a thread already for ongoing projects.

- James

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Igor said:

James, the jam version is released. The version that will have additions to it will not be a jam version but a new version, possibly with a new name - these will be completely different releases.

Thanks Igor, good to hear it straight from the source! I'll move it to completed and reference your post as a note for completion! ?

When the new version comes out I'll add it to the list. ?

- James

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 7:50 AM, Songbird said:

8bit-Slicks will be published in early 2022, and Microvaders will hopefully be published in Q2 or Q3... just need to find time to add more features!

It should be noted that 8bit-Slicks is (AFAIK) the first online multiplayer game for Lynx, via the 8bit-Hub.
8bit-Strike will be next, a shareware version being planned for Q2 of 2022.

People are welcome to develop games for the 8bit-Hub. You can use 8bit-Unity for simplicity (or alternatively you can simply compile hub.c to an .s file and use that in your project).

• Like 5

On 12/25/2021 at 3:26 AM, sage said:

Again, this one didnt make it for physical release this year even so the rom is complete (but not the cases/packaging)

Thanks @sage, was there an update binary released in 2021? It looks like 2020 was the last posted one.

- James