IGNORED

Heads-up warning: eBay now requiring a Photo ID

Blazing Lazers

I had what I thought were going to be my last listings ending tonight, and in between some of them I suddenly received another email from eBay claiming that they aren't able to verify me and that all my money will be held until I upload a Photo ID. I assumed it was a scam email, but then it also turned up in my eBay messages. Turns out that this is a real thing, even though it looks like a phishing email.

I don't know if some invisible to me payment threshold was crossed and it triggered this in their system, but the timing couldn't have been worse. It's inexcusable for this to happen right in the middle of my listings ending. So, I had to cancel all the orders and refund a bunch of money and eat a good amount in fees, along with wasting my buyers time and having them wait several business days to get their money back.

For them to require this out of the blue, and during the Holiday season, is unconscionable. Aside from the danger of uploading that kind of information, they don't actually need it, as just two days ago I got a payout from them without issue. And because I will never upload that kind of information to them, I will no longer be selling on eBay. I hope nobody else here will be screwed by this, but I post this to serve as a heads-up just in case.

Googling it reveals that others have also been hit by this:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/No-Ebay-you-will-not-get-a-copy-of-my-identity-card/td-p/31948818

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/requiring-photo-ID-despite-excellent-and-long-ebay-track-record/td-p/30931202

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/EBAY-UNABLE-TO-VERIFY-MY-IDENTITY-AFTER-22-YEARS-SO-KEEPS-MY/td-p/31335502

Screenshot_20211218-204909.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Then just upload a photo.  What is the big deal?

Do you upload Photo IDs to any site that asks for one? The big deal is that they don't need that information at all and didn't need it even after I signed up for the new Mangled Payments program Months ago, and beyond the demand itself the timing of it couldn't have been any worse. And then there's the dangers that come with giving out information that sensitive...

I'm not even going to bother with giving it to them, but a quick search reveals no shortage of people who did opt to upload that information still having issues afterwards. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, roadrunner said:

This have anything to do with the new spending bill that was passed?
$600 or less and the IRS will go thur your transactions?

It surely does. They've already twice had me re-verify my TIN/SSN for explicitly stated tax purposes. Why they suddenly need a bunch of additional HIGHLY sensitive documentation is beyond me, though. 

• Like 1

Just now, 0078265317 said:

Well I didn't sign up for managed payments so I never got the email in question.

You're lucky, very lucky, and I hope that you don't get it. I was opted into it with no choice to decline, and now they locked my payouts and are demanding even more information than what was previously agreed upon. I hope you and nobody else get blindsided by this.

• Like 1

It's probably tax reasons. I had PayPal do this to me ages ago (and it really did seem like a phishing scam, their emails had typos and everything)...was really, really annoying to try to sort out. Hit me out of the blue, and I don't even make money off of PayPal, so I don't know why they targeted me. Eventually I gave up and sent them the info they wanted.

Now that eBay has "untied" themselves from PayPal, they probably have to do some of that verification stuff themselves.

17 minutes ago, JEFF31 said:

Haven't sold on EBAY in ...oh 15 years because I thought it was difficult back then.  Have a bunch of stuff to sell and have been thinking I'd use AA for that purpose.

Most of the transactions I've done on AA involve Paypal so unless you're doing all F&F, I think you'll be in the same boat.

I know there was a bill in Congress that required eBay and other online sellers to verify sellers on their site so that they know who you are. It is to curtail the out-of-control retail theft that is happening all over the country now. (Please don't make this political) Investigators are saying that these criminals are selling their stolen goods online in a webstore/EBay store where it's too easy to make to create multiple accounts to sell their stole goods.

I find it interesting that people are now complaining about this. When EBay first started, anyone can make up an account and start scamming people by listing stuff for sale and never delivering the items the buyer bought. People were screaming that EBay should verify sellers so that they can track down these crooked sellers. Well, now EBay is doing this...and people are complaining about this?! ??‍♂️:roll: SMH. My, how 20 years changes things...

While I get what you're saying, it's a bit too far, and supplying a photo won't help one bit in the slightest.  IDs are faked all the time, and in the last few years you can get freely done deep fake images where a face can be someone else's or one created entirely from scratch, and good luck verifying if that's BS at a glance or if a computer quickly skims it.  Ebay isn't going to pay a crack team of 100s to sit there and manually eyeball each verification to make sure it's not a doctored image.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 10:43 PM, Blazing Lazers said:

I had what I thought were going to be my last listings ending tonight, and in between some of them I suddenly received another email from eBay claiming that they aren't able to verify me and that all my money will be held until I upload a Photo ID. I assumed it was a scam email, but then it also turned up in my eBay messages. Turns out that this is a real thing, even though it looks like a phishing email.

I don't know if some invisible to me payment threshold was crossed and it triggered this in their system, but the timing couldn't have been worse. It's inexcusable for this to happen right in the middle of my listings ending. So, I had to cancel all the orders and refund a bunch of money and eat a good amount in fees, along with wasting my buyers time and having them wait several business days to get their money back.

For them to require this out of the blue, and during the Holiday season, is unconscionable. Aside from the danger of uploading that kind of information, they don't actually need it, as just two days ago I got a payout from them without issue. And because I will never upload that kind of information to them, I will no longer be selling on eBay. I hope nobody else here will be screwed by this, but I post this to serve as a heads-up just in case.

Googling it reveals that others have also been hit by this:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/No-Ebay-you-will-not-get-a-copy-of-my-identity-card/td-p/31948818

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/requiring-photo-ID-despite-excellent-and-long-ebay-track-record/td-p/30931202

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/EBAY-UNABLE-TO-VERIFY-MY-IDENTITY-AFTER-22-YEARS-SO-KEEPS-MY/td-p/31335502

Screenshot_20211218-204909.png

You are in the right for not giving ID to them,E-Bay is becoming more UN-popular among everyone,Currently the sight is operating with more and more unsuspecting newbie sellers that do not know what they are in for or truly how e-bay will treat them as a seller along with how the guidelines work against sellers,i really do feel for you,All of us are experiencing the same problems with e-bay,It's just not worth the hassle anymore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, and since I was informed by the admin here that all I do is got to ebay threads, and I don't want to make him liar... I must visit them now and say how bad ebay is... funny thing is, every thread I go to everyone seems to have already done so without a peep from me... I hope this visit counts!

• Like 1