IGNORED

First-time Genesis/MD controllers

timepilot

I have never owned a Genesis/MD.  My cousin owned one, and we played a ridiculous amount of Mortal Kombat on it.  I recently bought a Mega SG and a Mega Everdrive Pro, and I now need to buy a controller.  I am reading a lot of bad things on the Internet about the D-pads on the licensed Retro-bit 6-button pads.  Any recommendations here?  If the only truly consistent controllers are OEM, what are the key points to look for to avoid buying a knockoff?  Thank you!

Get the SJ-6000 or MK-1653. My Retro-Bit wired MK-1653 is fine, as well, but I have heard about problems with the earlier ones. Newer ones should be fine. M30 2.4g is also highly recommended (get the one with the DE-9, not the USB one), as is the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz controller, but if you want to play Time Dominator on a real Japanese Mega Drive, I have found that the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz controller does not work properly with that game on any of my Japanese Mega Drives. Not sure what happens on a Genesis or PAL MD, but it works fine on the Mega Sg, though, so not sure what's with that.

If you want to use a wireless version of the best console controller ever created, you can get the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz Saturn controller and their 2.4GHz DE-9 receiver, which will let you use the wireless Saturn controller.

Still, for Mega Sg, the M30 2.4g is the official controller for that system and it does have the special menu button thingy that is specifically designed to work with that system. Even the Nt mini Noir's included controller's home button does not work properly if you map the system's menu command to something else, but no matter what you map the Mega Sg's menu command to, the M30 2.4g's menu button will always bring up the menu.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

25 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Get the SJ-6000 or MK-1653. My Retro-Bit wired MK-1653 is fine, as well, but I have heard about problems with the earlier ones. Newer ones should be fine. M30 2.4g is also highly recommended (get the one with the DE-9, not the USB one), as is the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz controller, but if you want to play Time Dominator on a real Japanese Mega Drive, I have found that the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz controller does not work properly with that game on any of my Japanese Mega Drives. Not sure what happens on a Genesis or PAL MD, but it works fine on the Mega Sg, though, so not sure what's with that.

If you want to use a wireless version of the best console controller ever created, you can get the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz Saturn controller and their 2.4GHz DE-9 receiver, which will let you use the wireless Saturn controller.

Still, for Mega Sg, the M30 2.4g is the official controller for that system and it does have the special menu button thingy that is specifically designed to work with that system. Even the Nt mini Noir's included controller's home button does not work properly if you map the system's menu command to something else, but no matter what you map the Mega Sg's menu command to, the M30 2.4g's menu button will always bring up the menu.

Thank you very much.  I PM'd you a question re a particular listing for controllers.  Much appreciated.

6 hours ago, timepilot said:

If the only truly consistent controllers are OEM, what are the key points to look for to avoid buying a knockoff?  Thank you!

It's not a knockoff, but if you see one with a turbo switch on it, those are smaller ones that were made for the Genesis 3, and they're not quite as nice as the Real Deal. They also have the mode button right next to the start button.

s-l1600.jpg

AFAIK, you're not going to find a knockoff that has "SEGA" printed on it, so that would be the main thing to look for.

I'm about to get one of these

SEGA-Mega-Drive-Official-Pad-Kontroler-9

Even though they look rather cheap and that D-pad is worrying. Anybody used them before?

I don't really want to spend more than they ask (~20 USD), since it's not my main console. But I only have the knockoff pad atm (looks like this one exactly) and in my country only these retro-bits are readily available.

I use a Reto-bit 6-button controller exclusively with my model 1 Genesis and never had any issues in using it. However, I must also stress that I don't play fighting games and I believe that is the bulk of where the complaints about the d-pad come from? But for the RPGs, arcade ports, side scroll brawlers, etc... it has been great for my needs. I have the blue translucent one and I think my wife ordered me one of the new red (Crimson) ones from Castlemania recently.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, youxia said:

Even though they look rather cheap and that D-pad is worrying. Anybody used them before?

I don't really want to spend more than they ask (~20 USD), since it's not my main console. But I only have the knockoff pad atm (looks like this one exactly) and in my country only these retro-bits are readily available.

See above/below:

7 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

My Retro-Bit wired MK-1653 is fine, as well, but I have heard about problems with the earlier ones. Newer ones should be fine.

Although I should probably add that my Retro-Bit MK-1653's d-pad is a bit squeaky, which is why I don't use it because it's annoying lol

32 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I usually use the bigger original Genesis joypads.  The newer 6 button ones are too tiny to be comfortable.  That or use a Tototek Playstation to Genesis adapter.

I find that the original SJ-3500's d-pad to basically be complete garbage. Is the Genesis one any better? It's been well over 2 decades since I used one of those and I honestly do not remember, as I preferred my Mad Catz turbo controller instead.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I find that the original SJ-3500's d-pad to basically be complete garbage. Is the Genesis one any better? It's been well over 2 decades since I used one of those and I honestly do not remember, as I preferred my Mad Catz turbo controller instead.

Still bad.  But, I find the bigger build more comfortable.  Wish I could use an Xbox One Elite joystick for everything :)

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

See above/below:

Although I should probably add that my Retro-Bit MK-1653's d-pad is a bit squeaky, which is why I don't use it because it's annoying lol

Yes, I had seen it, but couldn't find the model number on the listing my photo is from (not even on their other photos). No way to tell if it's an older or newer model. I guess I just have to buy & see, it'll be fine probably.

On a somewhat related note, that MD I've bought recently is working okay even if pretty beat up. But I only saw these busted ports when some of my other gamepads refused to work

sshot-2021-12-21-17-14-20.png

The knockoff pad that came with the console is working ok (when pushed forcibly in). Other knockoff works but buttons get mixed up functions. And on an old Honeybee Competition Pro pad I have only directions work. Strange. Why would one work and the others not?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gemintronic said:

Still bad.  But, I find the bigger build more comfortable.  Wish I could use an Xbox One Elite joystick for everything :)

Try the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz wireless Saturn controller. You will need to buy the controller and the DE-9 receiver separately, but you might find that to be more comfortable and you'll also get the far better d-pad and the 6 buttons. Saturn has the best console controller ever~

52 minutes ago, youxia said:

Yes, I had seen it, but couldn't find the model number on the listing my photo is from (not even on their other photos). No way to tell if it's an older or newer model. I guess I just have to buy & see, it'll be fine probably.

On a somewhat related note, that MD I've bought recently is working okay even if pretty beat up. But I only saw these busted ports when some of my other gamepads refused to work

sshot-2021-12-21-17-14-20.png

The knockoff pad that came with the console is working ok (when pushed forcibly in). Other knockoff works but buttons get mixed up functions. And on an old Honeybee Competition Pro pad I have only directions work. Strange. Why would one work and the others not?

Um... lol I'm not sure what to say about this one. I'd probably recommend seeing about replacing those DE-9s. The connector is fairly common for that era, so I don't think they should be that hard to find, hopefully. Normally I'd just say to get a new MD, but in case this one has good audio and video, maybe you can replace the ports or find a different MD to scrap for parts or something, as much as I hate the idea of sacrificing a console to do so.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@timepilot I think you've gotten some good advice here - but I just wanted to add, the original controllers weren't that great, they were just new and big and had lots of buttons compared to an NES pad. Most of the modern remakes are at least as good as what you would have had out of the box in ~1990. 

Have fun!

So, is the key point that the Retro-Bit controllers are essentially as good as the original Genesis controllers?  Or that the best bet is an original MK-1653?  I am planning to play a lot of fighting games (SF2, MK, etc.).

34 minutes ago, timepilot said:

So, is the key point that the Retro-Bit controllers are essentially as good as the original Genesis controllers?  Or that the best bet is an original MK-1653?  I am planning to play a lot of fighting games (SF2, MK, etc.).

Retro-Bit's quality control is generally considered to be relatively inconsistent. You'll have people with controllers that work literally perfectly and just as well as the originals, but then you'll also have people with problems, like how the C buttons used to stick on some of the earlier 2.4GHz controller revisions and how some people have had d-pad issues.

If you want fighting games, there is one other thing I want to recommend: the Japanese version of the Arcade Power Stick 6B. You specifically want the Japanese version, not the not-Japanese versions, as only the Japanese version has microswitches. I have one and it's a very solid arcade stick. I don't like arcade sticks so I rarely use it, especially since the feet on mine all fell off and it slides around uselessly without them (lol), but it is one of the best arcade sticks for the system and is highly recommended.

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'd probably recommend seeing about replacing those DE-9s

I will see how if it works with the Retro-bit pad. If it's ok, I might just leave it like that. I can't solder so I'd have to look for somebody, spend more $$, etc...I'm not really a console collector, and have just got a load of them recently for short term, due to project-related reasons (though admittedly the allure of OG hardware grows on me and it might not be so easy to get rid of them in a few months :)

I think this one is a fake because it does not have the word "START" under the Start button: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334263330689

I think this one is a fake because it does not have the word "SEGA" on the end of the 9-pin connector: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304264063935

I can't tell about this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124935825321

Any thoughts?  I hate feeling as if I am swimming in a sewer while searching for authentic controllers amid a sea of fakes.

9 hours ago, timepilot said:

I am planning to play a lot of fighting games (SF2, MK, etc.).

Mortal Kombat is pretty okay with a three-button pad, but for Street Fighter, you'll definitely want six.

With the three-button, you have to press the start button to switch between punches and kicks, it's not great.

27 minutes ago, timepilot said:

Any thoughts?  I hate feeling as if I am swimming in a sewer while searching for authentic controllers amid a sea of fakes.

They look pretty legit to me, I don't think a fake would have 20-something years of patina.

Like I said, I've never seen a third party copycat that had "SEGA" painted on it.

BTW, you can usually find controllers much cheaper if you check out the lots.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:49 AM, Asaki said:

It's not a knockoff, but if you see one with a turbo switch on it, those are smaller ones that were made for the Genesis 3, and they're not quite as nice as the Real Deal. They also have the mode button right next to the start button.

Yes, I have one of these and I find the D-pad to be a bit "gritty". It also doesn't work properly with a couple of games, IMG International Tour Tennis being one of them; I don't think it's a MODE issue, but has something to do with the way turbo is implemented.

The "regular" 6-button Sega pad, without turbo, may have my favorite D-pad of all time. It's easier on the thumb and requires less pressure than most anything else I've tried. I remember hearing rumors that there were some 3-button pads with similar D-pads but I've never encountered one.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, timepilot said:

I think this one is a fake because it does not have the word "START" under the Start button: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334263330689

Or the text just wore off after about 30 years of use...

I think this one is a fake because it does not have the word "SEGA" on the end of the 9-pin connector: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304264063935

Looks like the connector on the 3-button versions of the controller. Wouldn't be surprised if it's an early one or something.

I can't tell about this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124935825321

Dirty, but extremely likely to be real.

8BitDo M30 2.4g is the single best controller for the Mega Sg and that's what you should get.

9 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I remember hearing rumors that there were some 3-button pads with similar D-pads but I've never encountered one.

I've seen pictures of all kinds of different 3-button designs...on some, the d-pad is on a rod that goes through the PCB, and attaches to a disc that presses buttons that are on the bottom side of the board. Really weird design decision, but I guess if it works...

On 12/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, youxia said:

I can't find conclusive info, but rumor has it that Retro-Bit basically bought the molds for both the Genesis six-button and the Saturn Model 2 controllers. Both sets of Retro-Bit controllers I bought (Genesis/MD and Saturn) feel identical in shape, size and controller texture quality to the originals and I constantly find myself bouncing back and forth between the originals and the repros. On the Saturn side there are changes to the types of switches used in the L+R buttons, but that's it. D-pad reliability issues were an issue in early batches but have supposedly been fixed. You'll be happy with the repro controller.

15 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I remember hearing rumors that there were some 3-button pads with similar D-pads but I've never encountered one.

Yep, there absolutely are! I spent the better part of last year working a side job in a local game store, taking apart controllers to clean and troubleshoot. I did a lot of Genesis pads and ran into quite a few of the three button ones with the "floating" (Genesis six-button like) d-pad. That was news to me at the time and I was quite surprised. They feel really good!

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Or the text just wore off after about 30 years of use...

Looks like the connector on the 3-button versions of the controller. Wouldn't be surprised if it's an early one or something.

Dirty, but extremely likely to be real.

8BitDo M30 2.4g is the single best controller for the Mega Sg and that's what you should get.

Ah, crumb!  I bought a pair of the original Sega 6-button controllers before you posted this.

I will see how they work.  If they are now so worn down by time then I will go for an 8BitDo.

Any concerns about buying 8BitDo controllers from third-party sellers?  Or are those pretty much all legit?

the retrobit pads are fine.

the dpad is different than the originals. not bad, just different.

I also heard that the newer models have better dpads than the older models, but I can tell.

10ft cord is pretty nice. and the price is right. $15

Crimson red just came out.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Draxxon