IGNORED

Atari's August 1984 list of game ROMs

Savetz

1 hour ago, SINGLE TOOTH said:

I wonder if that list was stored on a mainframe? 

Atari used DEC VAX timesharing systems pretty extensively at that time, so in essence and without getting into splitting hairs over the definition of a mainframe machine, yes.

Check out Jed Margolin's Atari VAX mail archives for a bit of the flavour of what the systems were like.  There is a ton to go through, but there are also some great bits & pieces in there about game development, the company itself, and even what the VAX system was like.  His collection of email runs from 1982 to when he left the company in 1992.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Atari used DEC VAX timesharing systems pretty extensively at that time, so in essence and without getting into splitting hairs over the definition of a mainframe machine, yes.

Check out Jed Margolin's Atari VAX mail archives for a bit of the flavour of what the systems were like.  There is a ton to go through, but there are also some great bits & pieces in there about game development, the company itself, and even what the VAX system was like.  His collection of email runs from 1982 to when he left the company in 1992.

Yes, they had a few VAX 11/780’s as well as some 11/750’s.  

On 12/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

I think I've scoured through that before... Atari Coin/Games. I seem to recall enjoying the emails in early 1984 with them discussing Yamaha courting them to use the YM2151 but were waiting for AMY to be finished and the estimated manufacturing cost to be $4 per chip. And then once Tramiel's Atari Corp becoming a thing, some of the Coin/Games folks in the email exchanges were wishing he'd sell the brand back to them.  :)  I think that was mentioned a few times in that 85-86 period before the ST took off.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, BIGHMW said:

Yeah but I just hate it that despite the fact that both th 5200 and the 8-bit computers (including the XEGS) run on literally the same graphics and sound chips and the same 6502 processors this bullshit "developers' rights" element has to get in the way. Obviously not everything on the 8-bit is possible on Big Sexy due to her RAM limitation (16K RAM on the 5200 compared to 64K RAM on an XEGS barring having both U1MB and and XBVE upgrades done on her) but knowing that not all of us can (at this moment) afford having more than one console in our extensive lineups, I don't see what even our own @Albert won't do the simple (and right) thing of having (and allowing conversions of) all of the 5200 titles, including Tempest (yes Keithen Hayenga's Tempest), available for at least the XL/XE through the AA store on cart, I would more than gladly put down the $$$ and so would many others here. Adventure II already has been released for XL/XE, why not Tempest? 

Also, what now becomes of the 5 Mean Hamster Software titles for the 5200 now that that company has been out of business and has been defunct for the past 5 years? Are they now open for anyone to convert? We know we'll never see those or titles like Yoomp!, Gacek (the 2021 ABBUC Software Contest Winner), Arkanoid, Food Fight, or Albert (the brilliant 8-bit game not our own Albert Yarusso) on the 5200 anytime soon, but somebody can sure as hell make the more than 20-25 titles that are 5200-only games available on the XEGS. That's my case.

Mainly because 5200 Tempest cannot be played with digital controls.  It also uses all 32k of ROM.  Since it was originally meant as a 5200 exclusive we have no plans to make an XL/XE version.  There is Tempest Xtreem and now Tempest Elite for XL/XE. 

On 12/24/2021 at 1:10 PM, BIGHMW said:

@Stephen, In the music business that's called doing a "cover" of it, perfectly fine to most folks. It may be blasphemy to some that bands/artists do renditions of other bands'/artists' work but it's perfectly within their own right. Doing either an A8-to-5200 or 5200-to-A8 conversion is the same way. Just change a few codes on the program to make it work with that console and VOILA!!!

Besides, if anyone wants to do a cover of either an AK47 or Heavy Metal Warrior/S.M.F. song I don't mind at all. As both I have done countless covers of other bands'/artists' work both in studio and on stage, and nobody has said anything about it........ yet. It's the nature of the Beast.

Nothing says that White Zombie can't do a cover of Black Sabbath's "Children Of The Grave" (from Nativity In Black - A Tribute To Black Sabbath Vol. 1, 1994, Columbia/Sony), in which I thought they did a rather fantastic job of doing, and there's nothing wrong with doing an A8-to-5200 or 5200-to-A8 conversion of a particular game either. Chances are the game/song becomes even more popular as a result of it and even the OG version gets a few more sales as a result of it too. Whether it be Yar's Strike, Gacek, Barnstorming, or even Tempest, it's all good.

Musicians doing cover music and asking a developer to do an 8bit conversion to the 5200 is not the same. That's not a good comparison.

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 2