IGNORED

Rally Racers (in VCS Store)

justclaws

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Kris1977 said:

They should redo the kart racer from the Jaguar system. Never played it but looks fun.

Atari Karts is fun but it can be very frustrating too.  The physics and graphics are excellent but the characters needed more imagination and you can get your kart stuck in some places in the game.  That's where the frustration comes in.  Some of the obstacles are very unforgiving.

• Thanks 1

Now the game is out I’ve got to say I’m quite impressed by the VCS port it looks and plays great so far!. It’s not Mario Kart by any means but it’s nice to have this type of game on the VCS, it would have been great if they included an online mode of sorts for the VCS release it could have been even more fun but it’s still a must buy if you like these types of games and own the VCS. 

• Like 1

Rally Racers is such a unexpected surprise and a very welcome one at that. This game is exactly type of content needed to help with making the Atari VCS a successful gaming platform. Having a proper 2 play co op kart racer game is real delight. Can't wait to play it with family and friends.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

Rally Racers is such a unexpected surprise and a very welcome one at that. This game is exactly type of content needed to help with making the Atari VCS a successful gaming platform. Having a proper 2 play co op kart racer game is real delight. Can't wait to play it with family and friends.

Excellent game, and I agree with others who feel definite MarioKart vibes. I am still learning how to unlock tracks but this looks like a fun one to play head to head as well. 

The game single player?  I though it had a 2 player couch co op option as that is what was stated in the email Atari sent the other day.  However I do see the details on the Atari VCS store for the game states single player.  Did the person at Atari who sent that email just misunderstand that this is single player only and assumed it had couch co op since it it similar to Mario Karts?  Looking on Steam and doing a Google search it also shows only single player.  What do they mean by couch op if that wasn't a mistake?

It still looks like a fun game and I am going to purchase it, but WOW that is a real killjoy for what would have been a major feature for the game.

image.thumb.png.2f8bfc2dd6c7deb8968f6dcc6484a314.png

Edited by Tidus79001

4 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Nice to see a new game released with couch co-op.   

@swlovinist

No, actually it doesn't have co op.  The details for the game on the Atari VCS store says that it is singe player as well as every Google search.  It does seem to be a case of whoever at Atari put that email together was incorrect about the game having anything other than a single player mode.  Can anyone who has already purchased Rally Racers confirm if there is co op or not so we know for certain if the information in the email from Atari about couch co op was an error vs the single player game details that is stated on the Atari VCS store as well as details that the game on all other platforms is only single player.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Here's a first look video (gameplay only) that I put together this morning for the curious. It has the turorial and capture of the first few races.  Confirming that its single-player only despite the email from Atari.

Thanks for confirming that it is only single player even thought this is disappointing since co op would have been a major feature to encourage sales of the game and maybe even Atari VCS systems.

6 minutes ago, RadiATIon said:

Indeed it's a single player game. But a very good game I think ;-)

It still looks like a fun game and I am going to purchase Rally Racers but this is a major killjoy and will be a deal breaker for many and this error is one that Atari should not have made! They are already people over on The Official Atari VCS Discord channel stating they will not buy a kart racer game that doesn't have a co op mode.

• Like 3

Atari Karts as a Flashback Friday game would have been a better game to put in the Atari VCS store than a kart racing game that doesn't have co op. I am not taking anything away from the efforts on the part of the dev bring Rally Racers to the Atari VCS of this game since they game doesn't have co op by design and on it own merits looks like fine and very fun game. Atari has done this dev a great disservice by misstating the game has couch co op in promotional email intended to generate sales of the game and as a result this dev might end up getting backlash over a feature that was advertised in error once a consumer finds the feature missing from the game after it is purchased. Also as a result this dev might and lose sales as well as potentially not want to further publish any games on the Atari VCS over this and because of any fallout this might might generate & get direct his/her way.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

I ran into a glitch entering one of the challenge levels against Droog. The stage would not fully render and my car just floated midscreen. I could do tricks but nothing else and it registered my vehicle as off track.

I fully quit the game and came back to the same problem. Finally, I replayed the previous stage, re-entered the Droog challenge, and the game allowed me to progress.

Sharing here in case someone elese gets stuck on the same issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully Atari has more up their sleeve in 2022 than games I could have bought on my Switch/Xbox 3-4 years ago, but did not because I was too busy playing Mario Kart and Forza…

I love the Atari brand, the nostalgia, and the flashback Fridays (Atari Karts on Jaguar please?). But the VCS needs exclusive titles, too. Atari needs to find a way. There are so many paths to get there, too. As it stands right now with regards to 2022, I’m looking forward to Food Fight: Recharged (if I heard correctly), Unsung Warriors unless it does not happen until 2023 (best thing on the system right now is the Unsung Warriors demo), and…? Well, what else is shaping up to be console-exclusive?

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, YarsFan said:

Hopefully Atari has more up their sleeve in 2022 than games I could have bought on my Switch/Xbox 3-4 years ago, but did not because I was too busy playing Mario Kart and Forza…

I love the Atari brand, the nostalgia, and the flashback Fridays (Atari Karts on Jaguar please?). But the VCS needs exclusive titles, too. Atari needs to find a way. There are so many paths to get there, too. As it stands right now with regards to 2022, I’m looking forward to Food Fight: Recharged (if I heard correctly), Unsung Warriors unless it does not happen until 2023 (best thing on the system right now is the Unsung Warriors demo), and…? Well, what else is shaping up to be console-exclusive?

It's better than nothing! Nintendo is still putting out rehashed games from 30+ years ago and people still buy them... So buying a game that's 3-4 years old shouldn't be an issue, no?

• Like 3

On 1/30/2022 at 5:14 AM, Tidus79001 said:

@swlovinist

No, actually it doesn't have co op.  The details for the game on the Atari VCS store says that it is singe player as well as every Google search.  It does seem to be a case of whoever at Atari put that email together was incorrect about the game having anything other than a single player mode.  Can anyone who has already purchased Rally Racers confirm if there is co op or not so we know for certain if the information in the email from Atari about couch co op was an error vs the single player game details that is stated on the Atari VCS store as well as details that the game on all other platforms is only single player.

Maybe whatever issues or complaints people have with it can be fixed later with a patch or sequel?

I'm putting quite a lot of time into this game, more so than any other VCS release I believe. 100%ing the game with all gold trophies can get addicting. But I don't think this game can handle couch co op. There are certain tracks where the framerate tanks. Possible into the single digits it seems. No way they can split the screen to accommodate even 1 more player.  Anyone know how this game performs on the Nintendo Switch? Am I incorrect in assuming that the Atari VCS is more powerful than the Nintendo Switch?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1