IGNORED

Tiny Toons is so frustrating.

I loved this game as a kid and remember being pretty good but damn....played it today and got to the third world and gave up. One hit deaths are the bane of my existence. And what makes it worse is you start all the way over after a death....even when you get to the boss. Ughhhh.....back to Tetris and SMB3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PressureCooker2600 said:

I loved this game as a kid and remember being pretty good but damn....played it today and got to the third world and gave up. One hit deaths are the bane of my existence. And what makes it worse is you start all the way over after a death....even when you get to the boss. Ughhhh.....back to Tetris and SMB3.

SMB3 was hard too without a game genie.  As you get older all games get harder I think.

• Thanks 1

Haha yeah I can relate.  Never really played the Tiny Toon games much if ever all these years, and a few weeks back I got the 1st NES one, and weeks before that the original Babs one for GB too.  Konami did a great job on them all around, mostly, other than a great job at making them nasty paying the price pretty hard for getting killed.  I mean, it could be worse all things considered, but the stages aren't too terribly long yet it still is a cheap mechanic to add difficulty that really wasn't necessary.  Still though in the end, if you really want to get mad at one, play like Ninja Gaiden 2 and especially 3, because Tecmo sabotaged the hell out of those on NES to punish renters who didn't buy the games costing them sales.  They have some pretty hard set backs coupled with more damage on each hit, so the only pure way to really play them as designed is NG Trilogy on SNES or importing the Famicom games.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Haha yeah I can relate.  Never really played the Tiny Toon games much if ever all these years, and a few weeks back I got the 1st NES one, and weeks before that the original Babs one for GB too.  Konami did a great job on them all around, mostly, other than a great job at making them nasty paying the price pretty hard for getting killed.  I mean, it could be worse all things considered, but the stages aren't too terribly long yet it still is a cheap mechanic to add difficulty that really wasn't necessary.  Still though in the end, if you really want to get mad at one, play like Ninja Gaiden 2 and especially 3, because Tecmo sabotaged the hell out of those on NES to punish renters who didn't buy the games costing them sales.  They have some pretty hard set backs coupled with more damage on each hit, so the only pure way to really play them as designed is NG Trilogy on SNES or importing the Famicom games.

I'm actually pretty proficient at Ninja Gaiden 3. I had it and NG1 as a kid so I had tons of practice. Never did beat it, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PressureCooker2600 said:

I'm actually pretty proficient at Ninja Gaiden 3. I had it and NG1 as a kid so I had tons of practice. Never did beat it, though.

Nice.  I never cared, enjoyed reading their full spread coverage in NP and then the Worlds of Power book(have it, read it again fairly recently some months ago too.)  I got the trio in the mid 90s when my best friend and I got on this kick with stuff, held onto them for a long time until mass losses a decade later.  These days I have been sitting on the Trilogy on SNES due to the password and correct difficulties, but recently I did get the 1st NES cart back with a deal so nice it was worth it as it had the manual along for the ride. :D  You can really feel the differences when you see the changes side by side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished it some months ago. The first time I played it was at a friend's house in 1992 if I remember correctly. I can say it took me 30 years to complete it :lol:

Yes it's frustrating but once you get the right character for the level and you learn the patterns it's easier.

For me the best choice was:

Hills and castle:Dizzy Devil

Shore to pirate ship: Plucky duck

Forest, junkyard and city: Furball

Dodo's world: Plucky duck

Montana's mansion: Dizzy Devil.

The most frustrating part for me was Montana's mansion from the start to the elevator behind the second door, then after that point and up to the boss it was quite easy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Buster Busts Loose right?  It's still cheap today for like $5-10 at retail, probably since it's not very loved.  I think the one decent one was on Genesis I've had brought to my attention.

Since my posts awhile back I since dumped my TT games, they just were far more frustrating than fun with the life, lack of lives, death mechanic and feeling like you're on ice more often than not.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:15 PM, 0078265317 said:

SMB3 was hard too without a game genie.  As you get older all games get harder I think.

I don't even know how many games i've gone back to play thinking to myself "How the heck did I ever do this as a kid" Or something very similar along those lines.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I don't think the games get harder, we just don't have the hours of free time and tolerance to put up with that much repetitive bs anymore so it's a lack of time, not a lack of skill... just a lack of maintained existing skill that slacked.

Plus motor functions and everything slows with age.  My thumbs hurts a lot more than they used to after a couple of hours or NES or any system for that matter.  I used to play for hours as a kid with out any major discomfort.  So its not super easy anymore.

I've noticed it a bit if I put my thumb one way vs another, or if I stupidly get lazy with heavier handhelds (DS/3DS) and cradle the weight of it on the side of my pinky fingers as it starts to hurt after some time.  But if I don't bend the attaching thumb joint at an angle I can go fine, still can sit cross legged in front of the tv for a stretch too.