IGNORED

Left vs right arcade

oo7

With old arcade games such as Shinobi, Bad Dudes, Rolling Thunder, 1942 

where you have buttons to left and right of stick.

do you use your right or left hand on the stick? 

i know ppl are going to probably point out links to the brain etc. im just truly curious how people use these cabinets in real life

I'm left handed, and I prefer the left hand on the joystick or trackball. In cases where the controls are not ambidextrous, I would actually cross my right arm underneath my left arm so I could still play. It looks strange but I really have to do it that way. 

I think the standard is joystick on the left with buttons to the right, or centered joystick with buttons on both sides, so it's not typically a problem for me, but there are cases where I need to do the crossed arms method.

3 hours ago, 5-11under said:

I built a joystick that I use for the MiSTer FPGA, that I use for everything. I'm right-handed. Joystick is on the right. Buttons are on the left. I think I'm in the minority here. The early arcade games I played had this format, as well as the game consoles I had access to.

The reason im asking is im building a stick and debating right hand build, if memory is correct i played alot of right hand arcade as a child

Look at the side art of an original PacMan that hasn't been restored.  Top corner on the left side will always be worn away and the right side will have next to no wear.  For some reason people liked to hold onto those corners with their free hand, and since lefties are a minority, no wear on the right side.

I'm right handed, and given the choice, right hand will always use the joystick which requires the most control.

Along came Nintendo with their assbackwards d-pad controllers, but for some reason it seems to work in that form.

There is the argument that multiple buttons need the strong hand over the joystick. I dunno. See if i dont give it thought joyatick works both ways for me, but giving it extended thought i think I prefer right sticks, i want to know if im missing something. Left sticks were not just a Nintendo thing and some big big respectful publishers went left stick for some reason. So im after perspective. In a proper world i think right stick is better for me but i keep wondering what did i miss?