IGNORED

Top 25 ColecoVision Games

ClassicReplay

Top 25 ColecoVision Games

Top 25 Colecovision Games. I’m completely new to the CBS ColecoVision console. I was aware of its existence, I briefly played on one back in the eighties, but didn’t walk away with any special memories. However, recently all that changed with the Top 25 ColecoVision Games. What I’ve discovered needs sharing, not for those who already know about the system, but for those that don’t, want to find out more or feel as if they missed out. I can’t think of a single 80s gaming system that consistently brought high-quality arcade ports to the home — Welcome to the Top 25 Colecovision Games! 

Edited by ClassicReplay
  • Like 1

Interesting video, if only for the weird order of games from 25 to 1 (Turbo as #1? Really?) that makes it clear you didn't grow up with the system, and have a completely different appreciation of the games as a result.

The way you had these games ordered, I'm surprised Congo Bongo wasn't included somewhere in there, same for Gateway To Apshai, H.E.R.O., Mr Do!, Mr Do's Castle, Pitfall, Pitfall II, Roc 'n Rope, Space Panic, Star Trek, Tapper, Time Pilot and Venture.  :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Interesting video, if only for the weird order of games from 25 to 1 (Turbo as #1? Really?) that makes it clear you didn't grow up with the system, and have a completely different appreciation of the games as a result.

The way you had these games ordered, I'm surprised Congo Bongo wasn't included somewhere in there, same for Gateway To Apshai, H.E.R.O., Mr Do!, Mr Do's Castle, Pitfall, Pitfall II, Roc 'n Rope, Space Panic, Star Trek, Tapper, Time Pilot and Venture.  :)

I think picking the top 25 colecovision games is pretty hard as most of them are pretty good.  I'd be more interested in what people think are the top 25 worst games.... :) 

6 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

I grew up with the CV , and i would put also Turbo as #1!  That's THE game which make me willing a CV for Christmas!.    And probably the game i played the most.

Very good video.   But indeed there are so much good game on the CV. It is hard to do this of TOP 25.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

... same for Gateway To Apshai, H.E.R.O., Mr Do!, Mr Do's Castle, Pitfall, Pitfall II, Roc 'n Rope, Space Panic, Star Trek, Tapper, Time Pilot and Venture.  :)

Thanks for these recommendations.  I'd played every one of the games from the video, but for your list it was a perfect split between "beloved while growing up; I agree!" and "I've never heard of that one!"

So now I've get to try out a handful of "new" games that look pretty awesome. :)

5 hours ago, OriginalJohn said:

I think picking the top 25 colecovision games is pretty hard as most of them are pretty good.  I'd be more interested in what people think are the top 25 worst games.... :) 

It would be hard to put 25 worst colecovision games in a list since none of the games I considered worst.

The term "worse" is subject to interpretation from the get-go. I could name a number of "edutainment" titles that I would consider the "worse" games on the ColecoVision, but that's because I'm not the intended audience (and never was, even back in the day).

But in any case, I would be hard-pressed to name the 25 worst games, but I can name at least a few that I think people should avoid (outside the obvious children edutainment titles) like:

- Blockade Runner (gameplay is as hard as it is dull)

- Campaign 84 (some might like it, but I find it to be wasted potential, it should have been developed more, maybe like a board game)

- Evolution (good idea, extremely disappointing execution)

- Gust Buster (basically unplayable by design, unless you're a masochist and absolutely want to master it)

- Illusions (it takes forever to figure out how to complete the first level!)

- It's Only Rock & Roll (mostly text-based, this could be programmed in frickin' SmartBASIC by a beginner)

- Jukebox (more a puzzle game than an edutainment title, completely uninteresting)

- One-on-One (graphics are unbearably bad, gameplay is not much better)

- Rolloverture (tries to be a "clever" platformer, but just ends up being too convoluted to be fun)

- Sir Lancelot (very underwhelming clone of Joust)

- Skiing (so dull it makes me want Coleco's vaporware even more)

- Slurpy (someone please explain to me how this clunky game can be any fun at all)

- Tomarc the Barbarian (so much wasted potential there, I'd be tempted to remake it as a homebrew title)

There are a few like Fortune Builder and War Room that I would be tempted to add to the above list, but I just don't understand those games very well and never really got into them, so putting them down would be unfair, IMHO.

There's more than a few Xonox titles in there so I feel vindicated ?

As for Blockade Runner, I played that in the CV High Score competition here on AA a number of years ago and had a blast with it.  I figured it out, got into the zone, and did really well.  It's far from a great game, but it's actually not that bad.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Pixelboy said:

That's correct, I wasn't lucky enough to grow up with the CV. Those of you that did don't realise how lucky you were ;-) Almost every arcade conversion I've played, back then would have felt like the arcade game in the home. As someone personally into arcade games, I would have given my right arm for this back in the eighties. As the video mentions, I'm brand spanking new to the CV.   

On 12/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, OriginalJohn said:

I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find the 25 worst games on the CV. From what I've played thus far, I've had fun. I even liked the Dukes of Hazzard and apparently I read that's a massive stinker.  

22 hours ago, youki said:

I grew up with the CV , and i would put also Turbo as #1!  That's THE game which make me willing a CV for Christmas!.    And probably the game i played the most.

Very good video.   But indeed there are so much good game on the CV. It is hard to do this of TOP 25.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, Turbo back then must have been amazing. That would have been my must own and ply game. I don't try and judge with a 2021/22 mindset, but how I would have felt back then had I played for the first time. As a kid growing up in the UK, we had the C64, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum and to some extent the MSX. It was much more computer driven, consoles didn't really make a splash until SEGA. 

15 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

The term "worse" is subject to interpretation from the get-go. I could name a number of "edutainment" titles that I would consider the "worse" games on the ColecoVision, but that's because I'm not the intended audience (and never was, even back in the day).

Indeed, there were some bad edutainment titles released for the ColecoVision, but there were some good ones as well like Monkey Academy. There is the Coleco released version and Konami prototype version to enjoy as well seeing as there are numerous differences. Hard to find a Konami title from back then that was bad.

5 hours ago, ClassicReplay said:

Thanks for sharing. Yes, Turbo back then must have been amazing. That would have been my must own and ply game. I don't try and judge with a 2021/22 mindset, but how I would have felt back then had I played for the first time. As a kid growing up in the UK, we had the C64, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum and to some extent the MSX. It was much more computer driven, consoles didn't really make a splash until SEGA. 

I have sold my Colecovision to buy a C64 in 83 (or 84 i don't remember exactly).  Then it was different. The game was very good on the c64 (most of them even better than the colecovision)  but as i had access to lot of more games via "backup copy...?"  , i did not take time to really concentrate on them, ,just test, if it was fun do few games and then try the next one.  With the colecovision i had to buy cartridges', as i did not have lot of money , i have to choose my game really carefully and i played them extensively.    But i wanted a computer because i wanted to create my own games! I could not on colecovision.  I dreamed about the ADAM , but i comes too late in France and was too expensive. however i have never regretted my C64!❤️

10 hours ago, NIAD said:

Indeed, there were some bad edutainment titles released for the ColecoVision, but there were some good ones as well like Monkey Academy. There is the Coleco released version and Konami prototype version to enjoy as well seeing as there are numerous differences. Hard to find a Konami title from back then that was bad.

Monkey Academy was okay, albeit a bit simple. A few that I found actually interesting were Logic Levels, Linking Logic and Fraction Fever. The first two are nice brain teasers when you really get into them, and I find Fraction Fever has a good balance of action and educational value, even if it's not something I could see myself playing for a very long time.

I guess I was one of the few that owned Sewer Sam back in the day.  3D, fast gameplay, challenging, great music, Sam himself was charming and funny, and there were voice samples!  I took a chance as a kid buying it with my own money and I was amply rewarded.  I've noticed lately that when I load a ROM of it into an emulator the voice samples appear to be missing.  Either the cartridges used weren't dumped correctly or else there's something wrong with the emulators I've tried but if you have the cartridge in your collection, play it on your CV/Adam and you'll see how great it is.  In comparison, I found Squish'Em Sam a little flat (pun intended).  Game night with my family was usually Sam, Tarzan, Roc N' Rope, DK/DK Jr., BC's Quest, and 2010.

Also I knew how lucky I was to own a CV because I asked for it when I saw how much better the arcade graphics were compared to 2600/Intellivision which my friends had.  I had to wait awhile to get it though since my parents were on a tight budget and waited a long time for the console to go on sale.  The system never lost it's shine for me though and I felt very fortunate when someone gave me their old Adam in the 90s that was just sitting in storage...although that definitely sat in my storage for a long time as well.

Edit: why in the hell is Spy Hunter not a steering wheel game? ?

Edited by allansim
Just one more thought...

39 minutes ago, allansim said:

I've noticed lately that when I load a ROM of it into an emulator the voice samples appear to be missing.  Either the cartridges used weren't dumped correctly or else there's something wrong with the emulators I've tried but if you have the cartridge in your collection, play it on your CV/Adam and you'll see how great it is.

Use the ROM dump from my CV ROM Update Project (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/228832-cv-rom-update-project-commercial-releases-v21-updated-13-oct-2021/).

A quick test shows that the voice samples work in:

• CoolCV
  • blueMSX
  • GearColeco

They do not work in:

• ColEm
  • E.mul T.wo (all sound is messed up and slow)

7 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Use the ROM dump from my CV ROM Update Project (https://atariage.com/forums/topic/228832-cv-rom-update-project-commercial-releases-v21-updated-13-oct-2021/).

A quick test shows that the voice samples work in:

• CoolCV
  • blueMSX
  • GearColeco

They do not work in:

• ColEm
  • E.mul T.wo (all sound is messed up and slow)

Thank you so much!  I will.