IGNORED

Rikki & Vikki Bug?

Silver Back

I’ve been playing rikki & Vikki on the 7800 and after a while my character starts automatically grabbing blocks. It doesn’t matter what controller I use, or if I try unplugging it and back in, my guy will continually grab any block in front of him. If I power down the console all the way and restart he will play like normal for a while and then start automatically grabbing blocks again in the Egyptian level. I know I’ve played it before without that happening but why is it happening?  Anybody else ever encounter this?

10 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

I’ve been playing rikki & Vikki on the 7800 and after a while my character starts automatically grabbing blocks. It doesn’t matter what controller I use, or if I try unplugging it and back in, my guy will continually grab any block in front of him. If I power down the console all the way and restart he will play like normal for a while and then start automatically grabbing blocks again in the Egyptian level. I know I’ve played it before without that happening but why is it happening?  Anybody else ever encounter this?

Yes.

The reason it is happening:

"This sounds like one of your controller ports has its two-button inputs wandering high. If you're playing in single player mode, both controller ports can move your character so any "dirty" input on the second port could cause this behavior."

Try playing the game with only one controller plugged in on the left side.  If the issue continues, swap out that controller with another.  This should help isolate the controller with the wandering high input.

I had this with my NTSC machine. It's a bug with the TIA from what I remember or something like that. If you only have one controller plugged in you auto grab blocks. If you plug two controllers in and, even playing single play, it works fine, then you have the bug.

I bodged mine... Because I have an internal atarivox I put two resistors on the joystick lines of joy 2 that switch in with the Atarivox. That way when I'm playing single player, it still loads up the port so it thinks there's a second controller there and it works. When I want to play two player I switcht he atarivox out and that also removes the resistors so when you plug the second controller in it works ok also. It's a bit of a bodge, but it works. You could make a dongle to go between your 7800 and Atarivox with the resistors in that'd do the same thing with a normal external one.

Here's the post where we discuss it (page 2, post #29. Bodge is post #44 on mine):

Edited by juansolo