IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2022

I played through and finished Outrun (arcade) again a couple of times last week, with different endings- the one with the camels and the one where your girlfriend gets the cup.  I never get tired of running through the game.  :)

I'm not super good in that it generally takes me a little less than six minutes, but I still finish!

• Like 4

Beat Super Mario Land. Here is my score:

DSCN0479.JPG.afdec35941fee5781153159d5f580301.JPG

245,720. In case you didn't know, the game has a demo mode, which is what I took this picture in. It shows the computer playing 1-1, 1-2, and 3-3 and then loops back. Tried to take a picture of the ending screen, but it wasn't very good:

smlend.jpg.43689f8e2c2c5ea50468e8e1b9b05276.jpg

• Like 3

Midnight Mutants - Atari 7800

I KNOW, I KNOW it's not Halloween, but I wanted to refresh my memory to reach the main objective - rescue Grampa, who was imprisoned by the wicked Dr. Evil inside a plasmic pumpkin, located in the Pumpkin areas. The average time to complete Midnight Mutants is 30 - 60 minutes.

To complete this mission, there are several items to collect:

• Potions (health and blood)
  • Knife in the mansion (the first weapon, required to open the church)
  • Cross in the church (to protect against bats)
  • Lantern in the pumpkin area (required to light the cavern and dark field)
  • Axe in the cabin (the second weapon, required to defeat the first boss - Mutant Ram inside the Corral)
  • Key in the mansion (required to open the crypt and access the second boss)
  • Blaster (the third weapon located in the laboratory, minimum item required to defeat the second boss in the graveyard)
  • Mega Blaster (the powerful weapon located in the cavern from the laboratory, desirable to defeat the second boss and required to destroy all zombies and the Final Boss called Dr. Evil)
  • Necklace (located in the ship and required to get the heart in the Fountain)
  • Heart (purifies Jimmy's blood permanently)
  • Diamonds to increase Jimmy's health bar (located in several places)
  • Magic Pumpkin, the last item required to rescue Grampa. It appears after Dr. Evil is defeated.

The score increases to 9,900,000+ points as a special bonus by saving Grampa.

1972583082_MidnightMutants.thumb.png.c29faa118a417dfd824ca3afc8506b68.png

1690874720_MidnightMutantsEnding.thumb.png.ed9dd82f4c0ee6091c927a9cb5ae1e4a.png

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

1. Tennis (NES)

Beaten on Level 5, 7-5 6-1 and 6-1 6-4 (since it takes two match wins to get the ending). My comments from the very end of 2017 still apply. D.

2. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)

3. Metroid (NES)

Got the best ending in both versions, though in the case of the NES version -- which reduces the time limit down to an unreasonable 60 minutes -- I earned the ending by doing an immediate replay after getting the second-best ending. That allows you to keep all your power-ups from your previous playthrough, making a sub-hour completion easy.

An all-time classic game on either platform, with remarkable depth and presentation for the era. The only things that get old are the forced hits you sometimes receive when entering a new area, and the tedium of farming for missiles for minutes on end when the item drops decide to mysteriously screw you over. (On the other hand, using bombs instead of missiles against Kraid saves enough missiles to make farming mostly unnecessary.) A.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I just (kind of) finished Nekotako, an adorable SNES platformer. (The American release was called Taco: Princess from the Moon.) You play as a disembodied head (think Zombie Nation) whose fuel source (fish) gets depleted and she has to stop to get more. Unfortunately a gang of cats has their own UFO, and they steal all the fish you had so assiduously collected…

FBA10610-1BD5-47DB-9CEF-A9B1146D8AAF.thumb.jpeg.e6bfe563891d8d63ab46d4a440b58334.jpeg

It feels a lot like a single screen platformer e.g. Bubble Bobble or Tumblepop, but with a really polished move set akin to modern games like Celeste and Gris. The way your air dash arcs up at the end is really clever and adds a big need for finesse and skill to the gameplay.

902D9D9D-1121-4DD2-951B-AD19918C8144.thumb.jpeg.0c1c1e7658f080e98919b60d4efd6bd7.jpeg

I say kind of finished because the ending you get depends on how well you play and I really played poorly against the final boss. It’s short - 20 minutes if you know what you’re doing - but to get the best ending will take pretty significant practice. And it’s really polished and fun, and looks and sounds fantastic. There’s a trial rom out there - give it a shot!

• Like 1

Beat Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony.  Was crazy in that Act III was so sort and abrupt.  I guess that was because I choose the half giant as my character.  Was a fun game and I enjoyed my go with it.  However, going to dive in checking out (smaller samples) of other games before trying to play and beat another RPG like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the GBA, Starflight on the Genesis/Mega Drive, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the Genesis/Mega Drive, or Shadowrun on the the SNES / Super Famicom.  Any suggestions on which to try and go for first would be appreciated as I don't want to spend too long trying to get through something.

• Like 3

Lords of Thunder (Sega CD)

_20220417_182738.thumb.JPG.404e7baa052f9b8ed9ef1f6d63a70b44.JPG

Completed on [Normal] difficulty.

I didn't really plan on completing this today, I just started it up to test my Megadrive 2 composite cable... and 15 mins or so later, I had completed the game.

It's not much of an accomplishment (the game is quite easy), but personally this is three firsts:

1. First time completing a shmup legitimately
  2. First time completing a Sega CD game
  3. First time completing a shmup without continuing or dying

#3 is barely worth mentioning, since the game starts you out with a single life and no continues, but gives you a life bar.  You can purchase additional lives and continues in between levels, but I didn't need to.

It's a cool game.  I found it interesting that your bullets are comparatively weak, and that you are better off getting in real close to stronger enemies to take them down quickly with your melee attack.  I also like you can touch the scenery without being damaged.  The best part of the game is of course the metal soundtrack, followed by the cool graphics.  Beating it rewards you with a nice little cutscene.

Although it was fun blasting through this, it's way too short/easy to feel any sense of accomplishment from beating it imo.  I also got annoyed with all the crystals enemies leave behind when they die, as I felt the screen could get very crowded very quickly, making it difficult to dodge bullets.  Bosses also went down really fast, especially if you saved your bombs for them.

Still worth playing though for that awesome soundtrack!  I'll check out the PCE/TG16 version one of these days.

• Like 3

Well, I suppose not for nothing, but I won the "Retrobowl" in Retrobowl with Las Vegas.  Afterwards my QB was named the year's MVP, my TE was named Offensive Player of the Year, and my RB was Rookie of the Year.  Granted, it took me 6 seasons to get it done, but a pretty noteworthy accomplishment I think (for me at least).

• Like 3

4. Metroid X (NES)

Fun ROM hack that dates from the early days of ROM hacking. Very clever in the early going, gets more linear as the game progresses, but still a very respectable effort. B+.

5. Dragon Warrior III (NES)

Hard to be objective about a game like this now, when the extended late game inevitably feels a bit like a chore, but of course it would have been a treat back in the day. That said, elements of "Hey, you'll miss out if you don't buy the strategy guide!" start to creep in here, which puts a huge damper on the fun whenever it shows up in an RPG, at least for me. And why aren't there more musical themes for different towns? A.

6. DuckTales 2 (NES)

Controls well, plays well, offers a reasonable challenge for the kind of game it is, looks nice...but man, do I dislike mandatory secrets, especially in a game without passwords or any cues that say "There's a secret remaining to be found in this level!".

Plus you can find yourself unable to go back and double-check a level before the endgame kicks in, which I really don't like. I was able to figure out most of the hidden stuff of any importance, but there's at least one place that looks like it ought to hold a secret, and turns out to be a door that only gets unlocked at the end of the game.

Anyway, it's a good game regardless, but the approach to secrets taken by Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country is a lot more fun, honestly. And also, didn't we deserve a better "best" ending than the one extra screen we got? B+.

• Like 3

I have two very exciting "games beaten" to report.  A few weeks ago, we played TMNT III: The Manhattan Project in the NES HSC.  I had never played the game but instantly recognized it as a truly great NES game.  Even though our HS competition is over, I have continued to play the game and practice beating the bosses so that I could get to the end without using any codes, cheats or save states, and I did it today!  Cowabunga!  I only used 1 continue, so I have a 1cc game somewhere inside me.  Maybe some day.

196560245_TMNTIIGratulations.thumb.jpg.9c8f085dbce9c47eff59628232a64e42.jpg

Next up is a pinball game.  I have been playing World Cup Soccer in Pinball Arcade on Steam for years.  I love the real-life table, and I have also really enjoyed playing the virtual version.  This table has a very difficult game mode that challenges you to achieve the ultimate goal of defeating Germany in the world cup final.  This is the game's final challenge, and I have never been able to complete it.  Until today!

86057209_PinballBeatGermany.thumb.jpg.0485f6936f19d4f5c89bc6bb643c4d5b.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2798805943

These games were both very challenging, and I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment.  Take that Elden Ring!

• Like 6

I played through LANDSTALKER on sega Genesis.

A friend of mine talked a lot about playing this game 25years ago (but never finished). He became very very nostalgic whenever the game crossed his way in the last years....so we checked what all these feelings are about ?

We played kind of side by side (everybody on its own) and stopped every now and then, talking bout the game design and so on. This was fun and our approach to the game very different.

I was quite surprised by this game. The setting and humor is way better than "Zelda". The jumping is a mess, the fights are kind of boring, but the puzzles and the presentation is really good. 

We finished !! Pile of shame -1 ?

FOTO_20220315_213608.jpg

• Like 5

I very much enjoyed Landstalker when I played through it while sick at home, about 10-11 years ago. On the other hand since I marathoned it over the course of two days (and was sick), the whole thing is a bit of a blur!

My favorite isometric game on the platform is still Light Crusader, though...such glorious music, and such a weird sense of humor. "OOPS!"

• Like 4

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - Sega Genesis (Default Difficulty - Normal)

The main objective of this exciting game is to rescue his father (Pitfall Harry), who was captured by the evil Mayan warrior spirit named Zakelua. To complete this mission, there are 11 stages to solve on this port:

• Ceiba Jungle (ends with a boss named Jaguar)
  • Xibalba Falls
  • Tazamul Mines
  • Lost City of Copan (2 Jaguars to defeat at the ending of this stage)
  • Copan Temple
  • Lakamul Rain Forest
  • Yaxchilin Lagoon
  • Runaway Minecar
  • Tikal Ruins (1 Jaguar at the ending of this stage, this time more difficult to defeat)
  • Temple of Tikal
  • Warrior Spirit (in this stage, Pitfall Harry Jr. must defeat the Final Boss)

Along of this adventure, there are many itens to collect:

• Treasures: gold coin, silver bar, gold bar and diamond ring.
  • Power Ups: heart (increases health bar), Gold Pitfall (extra life up to a maximum of 9 Harry Jr. in reserve), Time Keeper (freeze all enemies temporarily) and pepper (temporary increase in running and jumping abilities)
  • Weapons: sling stones, boomerang and exploding stone of Pacal.

I beat this game with one restriction - I forgot to collect the letter T on Copan Temple stage, but I remembered the strategies to reach the main objective.

Pitfall.thumb.png.3d283eaf6509d8e5c92d4ed8ba94b1e6.png

1901182309_PitfallEnding.thumb.png.78699a638ddb3222ce4a91bef34a8c7f.png

1098938227_PitfallEnding2.thumb.png.66e6f3a6b2a047c59e2cb6c89ebca13a.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, oyamafamily said:

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - Sega Genesis (Default Difficulty - Normal)

The main objective of this exciting game is to rescue his father (Pitfall Harry), who was captured by the evil Mayan warrior spirit named Zakelua. To complete this mission, there are 11 stages to solve on this port:

• Ceiba Jungle (ends with a boss named Jaguar)
  • Xibalba Falls
  • Tazamul Mines
  • Lost City of Copan (2 Jaguars to defeat at the ending of this stage)
  • Copan Temple
  • Lakamul Rain Forest
  • Yaxchilin Lagoon
  • Runaway Minecar
  • Tikal Ruins (1 Jaguar at the ending of this stage, this time more difficult to defeat)
  • Temple of Tikal
  • Warrior Spirit (in this stage, Pitfall Harry Jr. must defeat the Final Boss)

Along of this adventure, there are many itens to collect:

• Treasures: gold coin, silver bar, gold bar and diamond ring.
  • Power Ups: heart (increases health bar), Gold Pitfall (extra life up to a maximum of 9 Harry Jr. in reserve), Time Keeper (freeze all enemies temporarily) and pepper (temporary increase in running and jumping abilities)
  • Weapons: sling stones, boomerang and exploding stone of Pacal.

I beat this game with one restriction - I forgot to collect the letter T on Copan Temple stage, but I remembered the strategies to reach the main objective.

Pitfall.thumb.png.3d283eaf6509d8e5c92d4ed8ba94b1e6.png

1901182309_PitfallEnding.thumb.png.78699a638ddb3222ce4a91bef34a8c7f.png

1098938227_PitfallEnding2.thumb.png.66e6f3a6b2a047c59e2cb6c89ebca13a.png

What do you get if you get all the letters?

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:14 PM, dudeguy said:

What do you get if you get all the letters?

I get the following message by spelling PITFALL completely:

"VICTORY... NOW IS A GOOD TIME FOR A PHOTO TO DOCUMENT YOUR TRIUMPH".

It's the only thing which I can answer your question.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, wongojack said:

Today I was able to 1cc all 24 tracks in R.C. Pro-AM on the NES.  I also spelled Nintendo 3x without finishing 4th.  This is my personal best high score for a game that I have been playing since 1988. 

PXL_20220507_160002384.thumb.jpg.493d35ca915cd66693c1079c8b79f41b.jpg

Nice. Did you ever beat Cobra Triangle? It's sort of like a cross between RC Pro-Am and Gradius with boats, but I've never played anything else quite like it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Nice. Did you ever beat Cobra Triangle? It's sort of like a cross between RC Pro-Am and Gradius with boats, but I've never played anything else quite like it.

I knew of Cobra Triangle bitd.  I think I must have rented it, but I've actually played it more in recent years.  Rare Replay had some interesting challenges for it that I enjoyed.  Never beat it though.

• Like 2