IGNORED

Starting a 32x collection

CaptainBreakout

Hiya all!

Well, with the amount of trouble I've spent trying to get this system up and running, I suppose I ought to get some carts for it.  All I have so far is Doom and Star Wars.

If you have some and want to sell them for reasonable, or possibly looking to trade, let me know.  I'm just after loose carts, but boxes and manual are cool if you happen to have them.

Any are interesting to me, but these carts I strongly desire:

Tempo

Kolibri

Knuckles Chaotix

Space Harrier

Blackthorne

Please PM me if you got any of these and want to entertain an exchange of some sort.  Thanks!

• Like 2

If you liked the SNES Starfox or other 3D field space shooters, Try Shadow Squadron.

Probably my fav of the games I had.

Let me throw in stupid lucky / timing clearance deals story.

I got the 32x for $20 on clearance at Toys R Us. With Virtua Fighter.

Are you looking just to collect or to get some decent(playable) games?

• Like 1

Well, this started as me trying to find a few of my favorite games for the system.  Personal taste.

I've always collected based on what I'd like to play, or games that invoke memories, or games that are oddballs, awesome, push the system, or are just plain funny to see on the shelf.

That has always been my criteria. 

On the other hand, the idea of a complete set is appealing, especially considering the small number of games for this platform.

However... Wow- these titles have gotten pricey!!  The days of boxes of Genesis (and sometime 32x games) for a buck or two a grab at flea markets are long gone.

Not sure how likely this is for me to get a whole set. Spiderman is going to be a problem.  In fact MOST of the titles are going to be a problem. I don't have the kind of money this is going to take. There is a slim chance I could get close with a lot of trading.

Still, following Crazy Climbers lead, I thought Id express my intentions to the world and see what happens. I'm already talking to a cool member and started negotiating a trade for a few titles I really want.  If I can pull this off I'll be satisfied enough for sure.

And yeah, I could always get a flash cart... Since I do actually play these that would be useful. There is nothing like seeing, picking and holding the real carts for me, however. I've learned this over the years setting up one emulation machine after another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

And yeah, I could always get a flash cart... Since I do actually play these that would be useful. There is nothing like seeing, picking and holding the real carts for me, however. I've learned this over the years setting up one emulation machine after another.

A flash cart is a great option to have. Most of the flash carts I know of you get 32x, genesis and master game compatibility.

Think think to play master system games on the geny, the 32x has to be off.

If you haven't seen it, the DOOM 32x looks like its worth get a flash cart for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm makes me wonder if I can replace the EPRom in my Doom cart with this version 

I've also heard there's Rick Dangerous and Wolfenstein 3D conversions.  Haven't found links for them yet (would be fun to make carts of these too). I think that's about the extent of the 32x homebrew scene from what I know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mucho progress since I started this endeavor!

I've almost got all my favs.  Large part of this is thanks to @jgkspsx... A great member and a pleasure to trade with. Thanks to him I got many of my A list wanted games without going broke!

I'm in that sweet spot too where there's a bunch of stuff in the mail for me, so opening the mailbox each day is very exciting.

Yesterday was Tempo... Which was one of the reasons I got the system working in the first place. Awesome to have this game finally!

I wanted to put the word out that I am looking for cheap and/or dead 32x carts.  I would be into fixing the PCB or replacing it.  Please let me know if you have any for sale or trade.

THANKS AA COMMUNITY!!!

• Like 1

A complete set of 32X games is something of a fool’s errand because of Darxide, which is vanishingly rare (it’s not clear it was even truly released) and sells for over $2000 loose. AND it’s region-locked to UK 32Xs! I only have a repro and I’m fine with that.

Spider-Man is not unplayable, but it’s very clear that it’s not a finished game. Again, I have a repro cart and manual and I’m fine with it.

World Series Baseball is not great and too expensive even loose. I like RBI better and it’s cheaper too. (There are much better Genesis baseball games than either, alas.)

Sengokushi Mushi IV (Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV Wall of Fire) is super rare and region locked. Loose it’s not too expensive if you find a good price, but unless you read Japanese AND have a rare Japanese 32X to play it on there’s no reason to buy it. It’s not meaningfully different from the Saturn/PS1/SNES version, which did receive a US release.

There is one rare game that is worth considering. The other European exclusive besides Darxide, FIFA 96, is a full polygon soccer game that plays very well (though admittedly I don’t have a fine palate for “football” games), and it is not region locked and plays perfectly on US 32Xs. I got a loose copy for under $40 and a complete copy for under $100 - if you keep your eyes out they do pop up. It’s one of the comparatively few true 3D games on the 32X, and one of the first polygonal console sports games ever, so it may be interesting for that reason alone.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, H454 said:

I got the 32x for $20 on clearance at Toys R Us. With Virtua Fighter.

Me too! Plus bunch of games for $10 each, like MK2, Primal Rage, etc.

I still have my original 32X, but I no longer use it to play my games, it's too much hassle to hook up everything together. I use emulation now for quick fix of Virtua Racing.

• Like 1